LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by morbeedo »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:37 am I am embarrassed by how long it took me to remember Mildred Pierce.

For the golf one, I was like, "Medinah? That sounds familiar. No idea, though. submits THAT's why I know Medinah."
Didn’t recognize any of the places but thought golf, bc what else? Then maybe tennis? Thought both too obvious and put jai alai. Not happy!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I think "Irish Car Bomb" might be the first time that the MCWA was also the BWA.
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:37 am
teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:37 am I am embarrassed by how long it took me to remember Mildred Pierce.

For the golf one, I was like, "Medinah? That sounds familiar. No idea, though. submits THAT's why I know Medinah."
Didn’t recognize any of the places but thought golf, bc what else? Then maybe tennis? Thought both too obvious and put jai alai. Not happy!
As a sports person, I knew this one instantly based on Medinah and Oakmont alone (two older courses that have hosted multiple US Opens), but I had a bit of a hard time defending it based exactly on teapots logic. I mean, I would think everyone knows these are not related to baseball, basketball, hockey, and football so what else is left? Golf and tennis really are the only logical things and tennis is most strongly associated with NYC in the US. In my match, my opponents games/sport was one of his worst categories so I gave it a 2 (mildred pierce was the 3). He got it, but gave me 3 for tachometer so I escaped with a 5(3)- 4(3) win.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:47 am

As a sports person, I knew this one instantly based on Medinah and Oakmont alone (two older courses that have hosted multiple US Opens), but I had a bit of a hard time defending it based exactly on teapots logic. I mean, I would think everyone knows these are not related to baseball, basketball, hockey, and football so what else is left? Golf and tennis really are the only logical things and tennis is most strongly associated with NYC in the US. In my match, my opponents games/sport was one of his worst categories so I gave it a 2 (mildred pierce was the 3). He got it, but gave me 3 for tachometer so I escaped with a 5(3)- 4(3) win.
There are plenty of sports out there which aren't the North American four majors, including the "sport" of cup-stacking; with LL questions, it could easily be one of those. Many venues are in suburbs instead of cities as well, so someone who isn't a sports person could even go with one of the four majors (such as the Cowboys AT&T stadium is in Arlington for a team named Dallas). I think the MCW of NASCAR was a good guess for people as most if not all tracks aren't in city limits.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DHK gave me 3 for Trojan Horse and 2 for Mildred Pierce. He deserved to lose 4(3)-6(3). :lol: Golf was my other point. Speed play and not long after being awake cost me the 0 as I had brown & tan.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:37 am I think "Irish Car Bomb" might be the first time that the MCWA was also the BWA.
Yeah, I almost spit out my coffee this morning when I saw that!

Lost a tough one 7(5)-9(5). My opponent missed Trojan Horse and I missed Mildred Pierce. She assigned Trojan Horse three and I assigned it zero.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I threw down a bunch of answers really fast to avoid forfeiting, only half reading the questions. Picked a great day for my first ever 0(0).....my opponent forfeited, so I got a W0(0)0(0)F!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:37 am Thought both too obvious and put jai alai.
Generally speaking, if it mentions something outside of Florida, it isn't jai alai.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:08 pm
morbeedo wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:37 am Thought both too obvious and put jai alai.
Generally speaking, if it mentions something outside of Florida, it isn't jai alai.
I used to go to jai alai in Newport, RI when I was in college, but that fronton is long gone.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

I started with Irish Car Bomb, but could not imagine what that would have to do with uniforms. Finally went reluctantly to black and tan, as having the Guinness, two ingredients, and the smallest resemblance to some kind of clothing reference. Turned out to be right.
Pending...
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:58 pm I started with Irish Car Bomb, but could not imagine what that would have to do with uniforms. Finally went reluctantly to black and tan, as having the Guinness, two ingredients, and the smallest resemblance to some kind of clothing reference. Turned out to be right.
I got stuck on the singular "beloved Irish beverage" because I thought black & tans were made with Guinness and Harp Lager. I'd forgotten all about Bass Ale, which is English.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:37 am For the golf one, I was like, "Medinah? That sounds familiar. No idea, though. submits THAT's why I know Medinah."
Allahu Akbar.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Lefty wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:54 pm
teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:37 am For the golf one, I was like, "Medinah? That sounds familiar. No idea, though. submits THAT's why I know Medinah."
Allahu Akbar.
Akbar and Jeff.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

alietr wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:27 pm
Lefty wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:54 pm
Allahu Akbar.
Akbar and Jeff.
Binky and Bongo.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woohoo! That might be a first for me -- a true Buckner of 7(3)-6(5). I should have known Colombia, but went with Peru since it kind of wraps around Ecuador. I should have known Hoover, but there was no way I was getting ramekin; went with casserole.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:01 am Woohoo! That might be a first for me -- a true Buckner of 7(3)-6(5). I should have known Colombia, but went with Peru since it kind of wraps around Ecuador. I should have known Hoover, but there was no way I was getting ramekin; went with casserole.
Congrats!

I went with Venezuela instead of Colombia. There is an awful family restaurant here called Ramekins, and we have a stack of six of the dishes in our kitchen, but I still missed it. Patkav somehow was in B rundle for a few seasons, but is back dominating in A. Congrats.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I had several lucky guesses this season, and yesterday the piper came to collect.

Peru or Colombia? I thought the border was more straight and, recalling that Ecuador "carves out" more of Peru, I went with that.

99 is someone super-famous, so much so that even I should know him. I think Gretzky and Orr were answers fairly recently, so I'll go with Lemieux.

Misunderstood the Nirvana hint to mean "it's not the name of an element".

But the story has a sour grapes ending - in the proper, original, positive-thinking sense of that phrase. My opponent got everything. There was no way I was getting ramekin. So, if I had to have so many things go wrong in one match, this was a really good time for that to happen.

Does that mean I still owe the piper, though?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:01 am
classicroadster wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:47 am

There are plenty of sports out there which aren't the North American four majors, including the "sport" of cup-stacking; with LL questions, it could easily be one of those. Many venues are in suburbs instead of cities as well, so someone who isn't a sports person could even go with one of the four majors (such as the Cowboys AT&T stadium is in Arlington for a team named Dallas). I think the MCW of NASCAR was a good guess for people as most if not all tracks aren't in city limits.
Except that NASCAR isn’t a sport. It is sanctioning body.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:01 am Woohoo! That might be a first for me -- a true Buckner of 7(3)-6(5). I should have known Colombia, but went with Peru since it kind of wraps around Ecuador. I should have known Hoover, but there was no way I was getting ramekin; went with casserole.
So, a Buckner is the most points for the least work? Any other requirements, like getting two less correct?

The transverse wave was a good get and worth the three to you. I sympathize with your opponent. There was no place to hide the second 2 points. It would be nuts to give you high points for a president or geography clue.

Never thought of a stadium wave as a wave. The arm lifting is the transverse component. So when Moe bashes Larry's head into Curly, that must be a longitudinal wave?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Transverse was my only miss, of course, and my opponent rightly gave me a three on it. Getting ramekin gets credited to Chef Ramsay shows and/or other baking challenge shows. Typical me, my best guess was not Colombia, but the other one I was less sure of, Brazil. 8 games and no tie. That is not typical.

This season so far seems to have a tad more in the sports, TV, movie fields. Thank you commish.