Besides Ken, Brad, and James, what other contestants could be considered GOAT?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Besides Ken, Brad, and James, what other contestants could be considered GOAT?

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:54 am For the troika of terrificness I like looking at bowling as that can be titles won, and $ won in a career. Walter Ray Williams has to be in the top 3 no matter how you want to slice it. From there there are cases for and against Pete Weber, Jason Belmonte, Norm Duke and Parker Bohn III. Key on the importance of major tournaments won and other names are in the mix. There would not be full agreement on the top 3 among fans.
I'd be hard-pressed to leave Earl Anthony off the list.
Golf - Tiger and Nicklaus are locks while good luck figuring out the third.
Hockey's kinds like that, too. Gretzky and Howe are 1 and 2, but who's 3? Orr? Richard? Lemieux?
alietr
Site Admin

Re: Besides Ken, Brad, and James, what other contestants could be considered GOAT?

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:49 am
alietr wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:26 am
boson wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:01 pm I know there were some amazing people at trivia nationals who auditioned, who might put up equally gaudy stats. Why not bring them on instead of these pros?
Yeah, in the wake of Holzhauer, maybe Austin Powers will finally get his shot. He'll wipe the floor with pretty much everyone out there (though obviously we have no clue on his buzzer speed).
Both AP and Schliemann are demons on the buzzer, as they've demonstrated at TN and similar events playing Bill Schantz's 5x5.
Yeah, shame on me for not including Schlie in that comment.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

In baseball it could end up being Ruth, Trout, and Bonds as the undisputed top 3 position players of all time...if you can overlook the chemical help that Bonds had.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

StevenH wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:33 pm In baseball it could end up being Ruth, Trout, and Bonds as the undisputed top 3 position players of all time...if you can overlook the chemical help that Bonds had.
Anyone who omits Mays from that conversation needs to go back and look at his stats.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

With much respect to many others, Alex Jacob would be my first choice. Perhaps even above at least one of the GOATS who are playing.
Pending...
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

boson wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:01 pm The bottom line to me is that they have invited back 3 white male millionaires-from-trivia to win more millions. They are undoubtedly the three strongest/luckiest (with varying combinations of luck and strength) to have played. It will be amazing trivia, but I like seeing new people on the show surprise me with how much yhey know.

I know there were some amazing people at trivia nationals who auditioned, who might put up equally gaudy stats. Why not bring them on instead of these pros?
Isn't James 1/4 Japanese?

And as for the subject of this thread, Ken, Brad and James are pretty much indisputably the 3 best of all time, and after that it's really just all down to personal preference and how much you value things like streak length, tournament accomplishments etc. I think there's a pretty strong case for Alex Jacob to be considered the 4th best of all time, and you could also easily argue in favor of players like Chuck Forrest, Frank Spangenberg, Larissa Kelly, Roger Craig, and Jason Zuffranieri.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Woof wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:55 pm
StevenH wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:33 pm In baseball it could end up being Ruth, Trout, and Bonds as the undisputed top 3 position players of all time...if you can overlook the chemical help that Bonds had.
Anyone who omits Mays from that conversation needs to go back and look at his stats.
Don’t forget Ted Williams!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

QFT

(and then there's Nap Lajoie, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Rogers Hornsby ...)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Barbara Lowe because she's never lost a Jeopardy! match. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
Woof

Post by Woof »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:34 pm BRING BACK LOWE (or whatever her real name is)
And maybe have go up against Jeff Kirby? :mrgreen:
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Jeff Kirby, we can save for the WOAT tournament, since he has had the distinction as few others of being beaten twice in regular play.

The Jeopardy! history mavens can help me fill out the roster; I doubt we can make it to 15 players, though.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:47 pm
Don’t forget Ted Williams!
Ted Williams I would argue is in the discussion for best hitter of all time, but his fielding and running weren't particularly outstanding.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:34 pm BRING BACK LOWE (or whatever her real name is)
Barbara Vollick (or at least that's what she called herself on Millionaire) http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/imander/ga ... eport.html
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:21 pm
Hockey's kinds like that, too. Gretzky and Howe are 1 and 2, but who's 3? Orr? Richard? Lemieux?
That’s funny, I always had Howe fourth behind Gretzky, Orr and Lemieux.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:54 am For the troika of terrificness I like looking at bowling as that can be titles won, and $ won in a career. Walter Ray Williams has to be in the top 3 no matter how you want to slice it. From there there are cases for and against Pete Weber, Jason Belmonte, Norm Duke and Parker Bohn III. Key on the importance of major tournaments won and other names are in the mix. There would not be full agreement on the top 3 among fans.
Yes, Earl Anthony clearly in top 3 for bowling. I had him in my head but when typing left him off. My bad. It must have happened when I checked on Belmo's spelling. Thanks.

I'm still stumped on a greatest three consensus. Connery is a lock for playing Bond though even with a short list of possibles there is room for disagreement.

Beatles drummers? :D
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Well, there's the three tenors. But that was living tenors (and Pavarotti's gone now), so it was never a GOAT grouping. I doubt there's any consensus on the top three of all time. Caruso would probably make the list since he's the Citizen Kane of tenors. You have to include him even if privately you don't see what the big deal is.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:48 pm

Yes, Earl Anthony clearly in top 3 for bowling. I had him in my head but when typing left him off. My bad. It must have happened when I checked on Belmo's spelling. Thanks.

I'm still stumped on a greatest three consensus. Connery is a lock for playing Bond though even with a short list of possibles there is room for disagreement.

Beatles drummers? :D
This is a silly game, but what the hell :).

Golf at one time had Arnie, Jack, and Gary, but Gary Player was never GOAT worthy. You can easily go with Arnie for the 3rd slot (with Tiger and Jack), but I don't know if his career stats are there. These three made the game what it is today.

Another trio:

Washington, Lincoln, FDR.

(gotta scrape Teddy and TJ off Mt. Rushmore)
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:07 pm Well, there's the three tenors. But that was living tenors (and Pavarotti's gone now), so it was never a GOAT grouping. I doubt there's any consensus on the top three of all time. Caruso would probably make the list since he's the Citizen Kane of tenors. You have to include him even if privately you don't see what the big deal is.
This made me laugh way too hard. A friend and I tried to watch Citizen Kane about 20 years ago and both got bored enough to quit.

Two of my teenage crushes in the 1970's were Earl Anthony and Fran Tarkenton. Wait, I should list a third one. That would definitely be Jon Matlack.

ObThread: He may be an underdog, but I'm rooting for Ken FTW.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Linear Gnome wrote:
ObThread: He may be an underdog, but I'm rooting for Ken FTW.
Ok, I gotta ask: what Usenet group(s) did you post to?