Thursday, November 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:35 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:20 pm Somehow the Lay's flavor that you didn't even know was a thing is too bland and doesn't taste remotely like what it claims to...

Kaaaaaaaay.
Obviously I didn't mean this flavor per se. I clearly said "Those Lay's chips", as in all of the 847 varieties they have that are supposed to taste like something, anything. Cheesy garlic bread? Ketchup? Pizza? Stroopwafel? Pad Thai? Human blood? Literally every single Lay's "flavored" chip I've ever had in my life has tasted like potato that was once in the same area code as a single grain of seasoning.
apart from the traditional flavours of sour cream and onion and barbecue, and the not found in the usa flavour of bacon, i have tried 1 lays flavour...reuben...it tasted like crap
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:37 pm Opus! You never told us about your adventure with the Welsh!
Probably a cousin of mine. They do get around. I've got another one who's in the King's Guard in Norway:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nils_Olav

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:49 pm I will agree that the math question for $1000 was tough - but obtuse isn't going to cut it, either. Alex is going to "Oh, sorry" you.

Scalene triangle: Three acute angles.
Right triangle: One right angle.
Obtuse triangle: One obtuse angle.
Oblique triangle: NOT a right triangle. That is to say, EITHER scalene OR obtuse.
Ok, but an obtuse triangle has no right angle. The one obtuse angle doesn't leave enough for that. I think they would have to accept it as meeting the terms of the clue and even somewhat meeting the terms of the "indirect reference" TOM which it doesn't really have to do at all.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:11 am
Volante wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:20 pm Somehow the Lay's flavor that you didn't even know was a thing is too bland and doesn't taste remotely like what it claims to...

Kaaaaaaaay.
Obviously I didn't mean this flavor per se. I clearly said "Those Lay's chips", as in all of the 847 varieties they have that are supposed to taste like something, anything. Cheesy garlic bread? Ketchup? Pizza? Stroopwafel? Pad Thai? Human blood? Literally every single Lay's "flavored" chip I've ever had in my life has tasted like potato that was once in the same area code as a single grain of seasoning.
apart from the traditional flavours of sour cream and onion and barbecue, and the not found in the usa flavour of bacon, i have tried 1 lays flavour...reuben...it tasted like crap
I was considering mentioning various flavors that totally missed the mark...and Reuben was my first thought. (bacon mac & cheese was another offender, along with ginger wasabi)

The simpler the flavor the better. Can't go wrong with a Limon or Salt & Vinegar.

Though if you're feeling adventurous, Kettle has a limited edition Apple Cider Vinegar out now that's amazing.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Didn't like Elise's dress as much today. The dark background doesn't work as well for her, I think. She's got a strong complexion that thrives on colors popping all around her. Still, now that I know she has a collection, I really want to see them all.

That DD asking for the name of an unnamed woman seemed a little wicked. That's somebody's cue to say "Which one?" That's right, BOTH DDs in the DJ round asked for unnamed women--Lot's wife and The Lady in the Lake. I think WOMEN WITHOUT NAMES would be a great category to have at some point. But I'm not sure how to round it out. I guess La Belle Dame Sans Merci could be a third.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Volante wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:22 am
CasketRomance wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:11 am

Kaaaaaaaay.
I was considering mentioning various flavors that totally missed the mark...and Reuben was my first thought. (bacon mac & cheese was another offender, along with ginger wasabi)

The simpler the flavor the better. Can't go wrong with a Limon or Salt & Vinegar.

Though if you're feeling adventurous, Kettle has a limited edition Apple Cider Vinegar out now that's amazing.
i was very disappointed with reuben chips...reuben sandwich is my all time favourite sandwich...the chips were wretched and threw the bag out after eating a handful..what a waste of money that was
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:48 amreuben sandwich is my all time favourite sandwich
I honestly never thought you and I would agree on anything.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:52 am
CasketRomance wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:48 amreuben sandwich is my all time favourite sandwich
we have agreed on things in the past...at least 2 times i said i agreed with you on something in regards to clues on jeopardy shows
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

One of my favorite movie lines is in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. She's driving with her son and she tells him there's a police car behind them. He turns around to look, and she says, "Don't look back or you'll turn into a pillar of shit."

(Further digging indicates that it may have been about crossing the state line instead of having a police car behind them.)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:17 am
talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:49 pm I will agree that the math question for $1000 was tough - but obtuse isn't going to cut it, either. Alex is going to "Oh, sorry" you.

Scalene triangle: Three acute angles.
Right triangle: One right angle.
Obtuse triangle: One obtuse angle.
Oblique triangle: NOT a right triangle. That is to say, EITHER scalene OR obtuse.
Ok, but an obtuse triangle has no right angle. The one obtuse angle doesn't leave enough for that. I think they would have to accept it as meeting the terms of the clue and even somewhat meeting the terms of the "indirect reference" TOM which it doesn't really have to do at all.
Well, it's a little like asking "They fought against the Union in the American Civil War", and only getting "Who are Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee?" - a correct, but incomplete, answer.

Also, the clue didn't specify Euclidean geometry, where the parallel postulate is accepted. If you place a triangle on a globe as in an elliptic geometry (defining a line as the arc of a great circle), you can get triangles whose angles sum to greater than 180 degrees, and hence you can have a triangle with a right angle AND an obtuse angle. So, that's an obtuse triangle with a right angle.

One other weird thing that I noticed about the clue: It's a QUESTION! In fact, it's two questions.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:24 am Still, now that I know she has a collection, I really want to see them all.
I'm hoping she wins enough money to be able to buy a new wardrobe instead of having to wear out of date fashions from thrift stores :lol:

(besides - these vintage dresses are giving me flashbacks to my 3rd grade (my first attempt) teacher Mrs. Gardner. I find myself sitting up straight and paying attention for no reason. And wiping that smirk off my face :( )
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:06 pm
esoteric
Hammer, that word does not mean what you think it does. I suggest you look up both esoteric and exoteric.

Also you never commented on my plan to send Alex a book without a mailer, just taping the book shut. Does that make me look too cheap?

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

cthulhu wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:04 pm Thought for a few seconds on FJ, remembered WT Sherman’s famous “if nominated I will not run; if elected, I will not serve” line, figured it was a good TOM, and went with it. Also got the “Lot’s wife” DD trash.
If I'd remembered the "If nominated...." statement in time it would have been an easier get. As it was, the only general other than Grant than I knew ran for the presidency was McClellan, so that's what I went with in order to avoid a blank.

But McClellan ran in 1864. As a Democrat. And had no Senator brother. And was not considered a hero. Making it wrong on four counts out of four.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:53 pmAlso you never commented on my plan to send Alex a book without a mailer, just taping the book shut. Does that make me look too cheap?
Are you suggesting you're the one who mailed me that shopping mall book?

I opted for a straight-up letter.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:56 pm (besides - these vintage dresses are giving me flashbacks to my 3rd grade (my first attempt) teacher Mrs. Gardner.
Just how many of the best years of your life was grade school anyway?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:33 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:56 pm (besides - these vintage dresses are giving me flashbacks to my 3rd grade (my first attempt) teacher Mrs. Gardner.
Just how many of the best years of your life was grade school anyway?
LOL. I was underprivileged to attend an 2-room / 8 grade / 40 pupil school through grade 6. We had the boomer class of 7 kids. So we all audited 3rd grade for two years, then took it for one, then overheard it for one. There was learning in the air if you wanted it, but most kids eschewed it (showing off my book learning there :))
Anyway, I should quit riffing on the joke for a while. But we had 16 year old 8th graders for real.

The movie "Stand by Me" references the bonding of the 6th graders, and that is very real for me. It helps that I married the cute 3rd grader that was my best friend's little sister :).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I guess weekends are for hijacking game threads - the monte cristo club is where the cool people hang 8-)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:56 pm
I guess weekends are for hijacking game threads - the monte cristo club is where the cool people hang 8-)
Oooh... that's a toughie. Depends on what I'm in the mood for. But if forced to forswear one for the rest of my life, I'd toss the Reuben and keep the Monte Cristo without a second thought. So I guess I'm in the cool club.

Earlier this year I had a Croque Monsieur for the first time, having learned of the sandwich on Jeopardy! (There was also an opportunity to make it a Croque Madame but that seemed like overkill.) That was a fine, fine sandwich as well and definitely in the Top Ten list. But again, push comes to shove, I'm keeping the Monte Cristo.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:44 pm Oooh... that's a toughie. Depends on what I'm in the mood for. But if forced to forswear one for the rest of my life, I'd toss the Reuben and keep the Monte Cristo without a second thought. So I guess I'm in the cool club.
So long as it comes with the berry jam, yeah, Monte Cristo > all.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

squarekara wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:48 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:01 am Elise's chat indicated she would be ready for an extended run wardrobe-wise as she collects vintage dresses from the '60s & '70s.
You can pack a lot of those kicky print dresses into an average carry-on bag. I'd love to see the rest of the collection, so go, Elise!
If she does go on a long run... there are a lot of antique and thrift stores in L.A. for her to browse for more dresses.