LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by econgator »

gnash wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:12 am I think Gretzky and Orr were answers fairly recently, so I'll go with Lemieux.
Hey, if Lemieux were standing on his head, you'd be correct.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I knew that Brazil had to be one for the equator question and was able to narrow down the other option to Colombia or Bolivia, and went the wrong way. Despite Geography being one of my best categories I am really bad at questions where I have to map it out in my head and don't already know the answer cold.

I went with L-waves for transverse waves. I knew that the former had to do with earthquakes but had nothing better, so I held out hope that the name had multiple applications.

Lithium played way easier than I thought it would, so I paid the price for assigning a 3 on that one. I also knew Gretzky and debated giving that one a 1 instead of a 2 since the most famous hockey player of all time would work as a guess, but I stuck with a 2 and paid for that one as well.

Hoover was an instant get, and ramekin rang no bells at all.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

econgator wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:08 am
gnash wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:12 am I think Gretzky and Orr were answers fairly recently, so I'll go with Lemieux.
Hey, if Lemieux were standing on his head, you'd be correct.
Can I claim that I was confused because I read the question in the Australian accent?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:33 am
alietr wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:01 am Woohoo! That might be a first for me -- a true Buckner of 7(3)-6(5). I should have known Colombia, but went with Peru since it kind of wraps around Ecuador. I should have known Hoover, but there was no way I was getting ramekin; went with casserole.
So, a Buckner is the most points for the least work? Any other requirements, like getting two less correct?
A Buckner is a very specific situation in which someone who was given the worst possible defense gets two fewer right than an opponent they defended perfectly, and wins by a point. 3(1)-2(3), 5(2)-4(4), and 7(3)-6(5) are the only possible Buckners (since there is no worst defense for 0 right and no best defense for 6 right).
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I know damn well what a ramekin is and thought of it immediately, but the non-characteristic k in a romance language game me enough pause to drive me to cocotte. Which is almost as good. Almost.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Lost 3 coin flips in one day: Orr, Coolidge, Bolivia (for Colombia)

Sad clown
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:16 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:33 am
alietr wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:01 am Woohoo! That might be a first for me -- a true Buckner of 7(3)-6(5). I should have known Colombia, but went with Peru since it kind of wraps around Ecuador. I should have known Hoover, but there was no way I was getting ramekin; went with casserole.
So, a Buckner is the most points for the least work? Any other requirements, like getting two less correct?
A Buckner is a very specific situation in which someone who was given the worst possible defense gets two fewer right than an opponent they defended perfectly, and wins by a point. 3(1)-2(3), 5(2)-4(4), and 7(3)-6(5) are the only possible Buckners (since there is no worst defense for 0 right and no best defense for 6 right).
I've now played 583 match days and still haven't had either a Buckner win or loss.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:46 pm I've now played 583 match days and still haven't had either a Buckner win or loss.
Exactly the same for me (although I've had a Buckner tie -- not that that's really a thing).
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

econgator wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:48 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:46 pm I've now played 583 match days and still haven't had either a Buckner win or loss.
Exactly the same for me (although I've had a Buckner tie -- not that that's really a thing).
I'm inactive so I don't have access to my stats, but I'm pretty sure that, in 16 seasons (400 match days), I had exactly one Buckner win and no Buckner losses.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

econgator wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:48 pm
658 matches here, zero Buckner wins or losses.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

No Buckners in my 808 matches, in my favor or not. I think I've had one person tie me while getting two fewer right (I know it's at least one).

Edit: I did squander a Buckner win with defense once, losing 5(2)-6(4).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This is my 22nd season and I have had zero Buckners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I went ahead and looked; this was my second. I had a 5(2)-4(4) win in LL68. I have not given one up (knock on wood).
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

My only Buckner was a win on LL64 MD 2.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

My Buckner count is 0 & 0 and I was glad to see it was a counted stat easy to find because I was thinking some of y'all were going through your results match by match.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:46 pm My Buckner count is 0 & 0 and I was glad to see it was a counted stat easy to find because I was thinking some of y'all were going through your results match by match.
Actually I went to "Past Seasons" on my profile page (which cuts off after 32 seasons and thus doesn't display my rookie season in LL51, but no matter) and did a text search for "3(1)", "5(2)", and "7(3)". (I also did one for one fewer point on those figures to find the tie I mentioned above.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:17 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:46 pm My Buckner count is 0 & 0 and I was glad to see it was a counted stat easy to find because I was thinking some of y'all were going through your results match by match.
Actually I went to "Past Seasons" on my profile page (which cuts off after 32 seasons and thus doesn't display my rookie season in LL51, but no matter) and did a text search for "3(1)", "5(2)", and "7(3)". (I also did one for one fewer point on those figures to find the tie I mentioned above.)
Personal Records was where I went and also found I have 11 9(6)s. 358 matches without a forfeit although twice I may have forgotten without a reminder email coming in at 9 p.m.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Achievement Unlocked: 50 Losses in A, B, and C
I'm actually at 51 now. 12 more wins in A and I'll have an achievement to be proud of. I imagine fewer than 2% of LLamas have 50+ wins (or losses) at three different levels.
I've had a few Buckner ties but those don't count. Personal Records shows 433 matches without a forfeit (is that a "John Cage"?), 17 9(6)'s, and this season I have my highest question percentage (so far).
Hoping for a third lap
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

After the first three match days of the season, I was 3-0-0 and spent last weekend in 1st place in A Lyceum.

Then, on the next five match days, I went 0-4-1, and am spending this weekend in 19th place in A Lyceum. I feel like I've fallen off a cliff.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

I made a couple of dumb mistakes yesterday. I considered Cornwallis but thought that the Battle of Yorktown took place farther north than Virginia, so I guessed John Rolfe, which was way off.

I thought that the isoceles question was looking for a noun by itself. I vaguely remember hearing the term isoceles trapezoid, but I was never going to get there.

I knew that the TV question had to do with Law & Order but I have never really watched it, so I had no idea where to go with it.

I considered both ruby and sapphire but went with amber, which was way off the mark.

Rogers and Astaire were my guesses on the film question.

Kingston was my only get. I probably would have still guessed Kingston, but I'm glad that I didn't even think of Nassau.