Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:04 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Daily Doubles matter and Beth made them work in her favor.
Much mention was made of Elise's lack of DD hunting logic in her first game. I don't bother grading player's DD hunting skills, so I wasn't following her selections in this game, but I wonder in hindsight if she let either of the DJ DDs fall into Beth's hands by the same unwitting fault?
when she found the one that she missed, trebek said something like "you were searching for it and found it"...pretty sure she was not searching for it...she kept going systematically down the categories...so i have no idea what he was talking about...she was pretty bad in all of her episodes from a strategic standpoint
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:12 pm I said “take the pulse” (for temperature) - which clearly doesn’t fit, then said “hard pill to swallow” - which seems just as good as bitter pill or even jagged little pill

John Locke, we hardly knew ye!

I want to lambast Beth for “I’m sexy and I know it” but she really committed to the line, she just got the wrong song, lyric, whatever. Good for her in the end for taking control of the game

That action movie category was horrrrrible. Do better, writers! Don’t bore morbeedo!
i agree...was pure crap...got one right only because it had "waterloo" in the clue
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:12 pm learned of gurka last month when i saw that mr. bean's kid became a gurka
Never heard of it, but I knew it wasn’t sherpa
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (The Mariah Carey song was my only miss. She has had many, many hits.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Amelie, Mexico, James Madison, (The Alienist), Constellations, Apollo 17, John Locke, Empiricism, Gurkhas
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:21 am
Hugo Z wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 am Any three-time champ on this show deserves respect, but you have to admit, it takes a special kind of talent to blow that FJ.
Only Elise can confirm it, but in the past I have seen contestant comments that in such a situation they recognize that on an "easy" FJ! clue their only hope was that it was not as easy as it appeared and they tried something else. It's a long shot and not likely though I can understand a tech company having the jeans mentality.

It could also be that Elise simply thought they had been around way too long to have a stock offering in 2019? It did not cost Elise anything other than $1000 so no biggie in my book.
but if that were the case, she should have wagered nothing or enough to jump her by 1 dollar the leader wagered 0...her wager was awful
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:17 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:12 pm learned of gurka last month when i saw that mr. bean's kid became a gurka
Never heard of it, but I knew it wasn’t sherpa
i saw an article come through my facebook page last month about mr. bean's kid becoming a gurka...had never heard of it before that...bean's kid looks exactly like him...i thought it was mr. bean at first and was like "wtf is that geezer doing going into the military at that age?"
Golf

Post by Golf »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:18 pm (The Mariah Carey song was my only miss. She has had many, many hits.)
I'd hit that. :shock: :lol:

Elise's lack of gameplay skills caught up with her. Her Coryat was much higher than the eventual winner, but not hunting DD's and making sub-optimal wagers let one with lesser knowledge and/or buzzer timing beat her.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Golf wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:34 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:18 pm (The Mariah Carey song was my only miss. She has had many, many hits.)

Elise's lack of gameplay skills caught up with her. Her Coryat was much higher than the eventual winner, but not hunting DD's and making sub-optimal wagers let one with lesser knowledge and/or buzzer timing beat her.
she, like many jeopardy contestants, love going with a daily double wager that would put her at a nice round number if missed...i never understood that...why not aim for that nice round number in the event they get it correct?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

When I saw the island with the "East/West" clue, I started to get ready to say Timor...it was SO kind of them to zoom out the map and show Argentina, making it an instaget even for a geophobe like me.

Medical idioms just seemed to stump me for absolutely no good reason. Even the ones I knew I somehow managed to screw up, like "bitter medicine" instead of "bitter pill".

I also agree that the "if it were an action movie" category was...uh...one that shouldn't be repeated.

Word on the street was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be - after the first clue, I thought it would get really obscure. Madison Ave, Sunset Blvd, and Drury Lane were ones that I knew, although I don't know how I knew Drury Lane. Looking it up, maybe the muffin man song? I thought maybe some kind of fashion center was there, but nope - apparently, a long time ago, a lot of prostitutes were there. I went with "Lake Shore Drive" because it just sounded right, and I was bold enough not to clam. And for the Italian streets, I also blurted my guess of "Via", because WECIB?

I spent 1 second of my FJ! time writing down Levi, and the next 29 seconds trying to come up with some other 4-letter apparel company that would have had an IPO recently. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would have rated my confidence as -9999999. Welp, surprise - free gift for me. Levi's IPO escaped my news reading, but not my guess.

I actually can understand Elise's guess. To her credit, Uber DID have their IPO recently enough to qualify for the category, and it is a four letter ticker symbol. Jeans might be the right direction for a tech company - that was the other angle I briefly thought of, too. And with Levi's being a brand that's 166 years old...I can see the reason for being wary.
Stp29
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Stp29 »

Can we just comment how good Stephen looked getting so badly smoked?
Sincerely,
Stephen

Congrats Beth!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Did anyone else laugh at the eventual champ saying "fortune favors the bold" on her daily double, and then NOT making it a true daily double? Oh, how bold.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:58 pm Did anyone else laugh at the eventual champ saying "fortune favors the bold" on her daily double, and then NOT making it a true daily double? Oh, how bold.
Yes! It was the biggest swindle in the history of the game. Even if she said “Faint heart never won fair lady - or game show.”
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:50 pm

I actually can understand Elise's guess. To her credit, Uber DID have their IPO recently enough to qualify for the category, and it is a four letter ticker symbol. Jeans might be the right direction for a tech company - that was the other angle I briefly thought of, too. And with Levi's being a brand that's 166 years old...I can see the reason for being wary.
Agreed. If Uber had come to mind I might have considered it, thinking it iffy that Levi Strauss would be going public at this late date...actually (it turns out) for the second time, they were taken private in 1985...
Jeans are the IPO fashion this year...the company that makes Wrangler jeans IPO'd in May, and J. Crew has considered plans to spin off its Madewell denim brand as well.

Elise liked to move down a category, and then swerve off when she reached the bottom...where the DDs were likely to be... :roll: Why do so many players do that? She was otherwise very entertaining,
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:37 pm
Golf wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:34 pm

she, like many jeopardy contestants, love going with a daily double wager that would put her at a nice round number if missed...i never understood that...why not aim for that nice round number in the event they get it correct?
If I were not going to go all in on a daily double, I would likely choose a non-round number to avoid a tie and reduce the risk of many wager-to-tie situations.

For example, instead of falling victim to the no-ties rule, Todd Gonzalez could have locked a victory for himself on 7/28/16 by wagering $2,001 on his last DD instead of $2,000. Christine Kim could not have pulled the move she did on 1/27/15 if Brian Quinn had added a extra dollar to one of his daily doubles.

It could cost you if you are trailing, but if you are in the lead, then it seems more likely to help. By today's rules, losing a "lock-tie" or a crush by one dollar has little meaning unless you think there is a good chance you will risk the tiebreaker. But, surpassing those situations by one dollar makes all the difference.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

It can mean to measure body heat but idiomatically, it means to survey the attitudes of a group of people
I have literally never heard "take temperature" in the "survey the attitudes" context mentioned in this clue. Was this unfamiliar to anyone else too?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:50 pm When I saw the island with the "East/West" clue, I started to get ready to say Timor...it was SO kind of them to zoom out the map and show Argentina, making it an instaget even for a geophobe like me.
I got Falklands just from the shape of the islands, even before they zoomed out to show the relation to Argentina.

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:26 pm
It can mean to measure body heat but idiomatically, it means to survey the attitudes of a group of people
I have literally never heard "take temperature" in the "survey the attitudes" context mentioned in this clue. Was this unfamiliar to anyone else too?
There is even an online survey taking device called a feeling thermometer. It's a slider that the respondents can move between 0 and 100.

I screwed up the last one in medical idioms by saying just deserts instead of a taste of one's own medicine. Note that it's deserts and not deserts.

FJ was an instaget. I knew about the Levi Strauss IPO.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I hadn't heard about Levi's doing an IPO, but this definitely fell into WECIB? land.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:58 pm Did anyone else laugh at the eventual champ saying "fortune favors the bold" on her daily double, and then NOT making it a true daily double? Oh, how bold.
yeah was pretty lame...i am hoping for the return of the one and doner
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:26 pm
you sure do love the word "literally"...why do millennials use that word so much?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 37,600
47 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: constellations, John Locke

I was aware of the "jeans on the trading floor" thing in relation to the LEVI IPO, but even in absence of that, this FJ! seemed like a WECIB. Elise's wager did not surprise me given the seemingly non-strategic manner of the rest of her play. It never ceases to amaze me that so many players who are so talented are apparently unwilling to invest the time and effort to learn the non-trivia components of the game.

NHO The Alienist. Turns out it was adapted into a limited series on TNT in 2018, but there are so many of those these days that it's hard to keep up.

I also couldn't remember the adverb that went with "close" in the Extremely Loud . . . title, and I am apparently the only one who is aware of the top-secret 18th Apollo mission. D'oh!
morbeedo wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:12 pm or even jagged little pill
I think you're thinking of the 1990s Lyrics category. 8-)

Speaking of which, I got an early start on the '90s lyrics when I answered "What is It?" a la Faith No More. I may have even thrown an "It's it!" on the end of my response.
Sprinkles are for winners.