Wednesday, November 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIE QUOTES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 2 single-word quotes on AFI’s list of the Top 100 movie quotes; 1 is from 1941, the other from 1967

Beth Stewart: 5400-4801=599
Ben Zhang: 5100-302=4798
Ellen Keane: 14200-3000=11200 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
”Rosebud” and “Plastics” (Beth – “Stella” and) (Ben – nuts and) (Ellen – Rosebud and)

Note: "Plastic" is incorrect.

Daily Doubles
Ellen: 5600+1600
Ben: 7000-3500
Beth: 7800-4800

Coryats
Beth: 10200
Ben: 8600
Ellen: 13400

Combined: 32,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Beth: 3800
Ben: 3400
Ellen: 7400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The GET "IN" category had me wondering about some possible alternate responses.

$200: A basketball pass toward the court

Inbound was the correct response though I can see someone having "throw in" as there is no one-word requirement.

$400: First in a series, or relating to an official induction ceremony

Inaugural is the correct and best response while I'm thinking "initial" could be correct since it meets the first portion of the clue.

Rob Peter to pay Paul as the J! round was completed though with the extra time Alex gave for THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME including a cut to Harry Friedman it meant the DJ! round was not going to be finished.

Even if Beth had got the two unplayed clues it was still a lock for Ellen. Beth was also likely going to lose if she solved DD3 a 15000-14200-5100 lead on a TS FJ! clue spells trouble for the leader. Though not always of course.

50/50/90 for me on the FJ! clue while on another day or time I just as easily could have had it right. It was an insta-miss as I immediately knew both movies and had no doubt about the first part. It was the 1967 portion that had me tug-of-warring over the "s" to complete my response. Both sounded right and both sounded wrong.

I went the wrong way and the only weak excuse I have is that I never saw the movie. That does not mean I should not have had it anyway since I've heard/read it many times over the years. Here are four Archive hits:
Spoiler
#5680, aired 2009-04-24 AFI'S TOP 100 MOVIE QUOTES $400: No. 42: "Plastics"
#5081, aired 2006-10-16 MOVIE QUOTES $400: 1967: "I just want to say one word to you--just one word... plastics!"
#3942, aired 2001-10-23 FIVE WEDDINGS & A FUNERAL $200: Dustin Hoffman learns about plastics & then busts up a wedding in this classic 1967 film
#3413, aired 1999-06-09 NAME THE MOVIE $500: 1967: "I just want to say one word to you -- just one word...plastics"
Another notch of many for the occupation "librarian" today with Ellen winning.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Fairly easy FJ for a film buff...for the casual fan, I imagine it could be brutal.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I'm not a movie person but I got Rosebud in about 15 seconds, but I never would have got plastics without being spotted the name of the movie that it's from. And I also would have known to add the "s" at the end, since I distinctly remember that it's also the name of the clique of popular girls from Mean Girls.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Proud to say I came up with this within the 30 seconds. The 1967 one came to mind immediately, but it took some searching to come up with the 1941 one. I had to go through a lot of Bogart first.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Hugo Z wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:19 am Fairly easy FJ for a film buff...for the casual fan, I imagine it could be brutal.
Movies are my weakest category (except for maybe TV)... I could have gotten the 1941 one if I focused on it for 30 seconds. I correctly guessed the right movie for 1967, but hadn't the faintest idea about a one-word quote from it. You could have given me all day and I'd still have come up empty.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Got stuck on Casablanca (off by one year) and couldn't come up with anything. If I'd allowed myself long enough to think of it, I'd have gotten to Kane and "Rosebud" soon enough. The Graduate/"Plastics" was never going to click.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Here, Kitty.

"Inbound" is a thing, in basketball or otherwise? That seemed jarringly out of place in the top box.

Any reason I should know what kind of shirt Steve Jobs wore?

What was the TOM for Stevie Nicks or Afghanistan in the top box? I saw "name that sounds like Rihanna" and guessed that, and then "total word salad abuot war that I couldn't make heads or tails of".

TIL that I am innumerate.

DJ! completely ate my lunch. I was 0R 1W. This is the first time in forever that I actually remember decreasing in DJ!

One-word movie quotes? 1941 and 1967? I got nothing. Even looking up famous films from that year before the reveal gave me nothing.

Citizen Kane = "Rosebud" was obvious in hindsight, but I just couldn't prime the pump. On the other hand, the only quote I know from The Graduate is "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me." "Plastics" doesn't ring any bells whatsoever.

Lach Trash: pumpernickel, rosettes
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $33,200 (39R, 1W)
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: pumpernickel, innumerate, Billy Dee Williams

Slow start ($10K J round) but picked up in DJ. Celebrity Artists was the only category I was able to run. I was disappointed in Get “In”, knew them all but could only get 3/5 in time.

7 FJs in a row! Knew Rosebud instantly, but needed the year to think of Plastics.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:38 pm Proud to say I came up with this within the 30 seconds. The 1967 one came to mind immediately, but it took some searching to come up with the 1941 one. I had to go through a lot of Bogart first.
I had the opposite result: 1941 gave me Citizen Kane and "Rosebud" immediately. Then I had to think if 1967 sounded right for The Graduate and "Plastics." That took a few seconds but I got it, final "s" and all.

This made up for an otherwise rough game for me. woof.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:32 pm What was the TOM for Stevie Nicks or Afghanistan in the top box? I saw "name that sounds like Rihanna" and guessed that, and then "total word salad abuot war that I couldn't make heads or tails of".
Rhiannon is a Fleetwood Mac song.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Speaking of black boxes ... I was on a flight from LAX back to DC one time, and happened to be seated way up front. When the plane landed, the flight attendant came on and asked everyone to remain seated after we get to the gate. She said some men needed to get on the plane to retrieve a package. When we got to the gate, two men came onboard, took what looked like a duffle bag, and got off the plane. When they got off, several photographers were taking pictures of them. I tried to puzzle it out, and then I figured out that a few weeks before, a 747 had crashed in the Pacific with all aboard killed, and that this was the black box that had been recovered from the wreckage being brought back to be analyzed in Washington. It totally creeped me out that this object had accompanied that many people to their deaths. I was glad I didn't know about it until we had landed.

Mark me down as a get for FJ. I got plastics pretty quickly. I would have guessed Citizen Kane was earlier, but it clicked when I finally thought of Rosebud.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:39 pm Mark me down as a get for FJ. I got plastics pretty quickly.
I was the opposite. Got Rosebud quickly, but only came up with Stella for the other. After a few seconds of thought, Plastics came to me and I dropped Stella.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:09 am The GET "IN" category had me wondering about some possible alternate responses.

$200: A basketball pass toward the court

Inbound was the correct response though I can see someone having "throw in" as there is no one-word requirement.

$400: First in a series, or relating to an official induction ceremony

Inaugural is the correct and best response while I'm thinking "initial" could be correct since it meets the first portion of the clue.

Rob Peter to pay Paul as the J! round was completed though with the extra time Alex gave for THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME including a cut to Harry Friedman it meant the DJ! round was not going to be finished.

Even if Beth had got the two unplayed clues it was still a lock for Ellen. Beth was also likely going to lose if she solved DD3 a 15000-14200-5100 lead on a TS FJ! clue spells trouble for the leader. Though not always of course.

50/50/90 for me on the FJ! clue while on another day or time I just as easily could have had it right. It was an insta-miss as I immediately knew both movies and had no doubt about the first part. It was the 1967 portion that had me tug-of-warring over the "s" to complete my response. Both sounded right and both sounded wrong.

I went the wrong way and the only weak excuse I have is that I never saw the movie. That does not mean I should not have had it anyway since I've heard/read it many times over the years. Here are four Archive hits:
Spoiler
#5680, aired 2009-04-24 AFI'S TOP 100 MOVIE QUOTES $400: No. 42: "Plastics"
#5081, aired 2006-10-16 MOVIE QUOTES $400: 1967: "I just want to say one word to you--just one word... plastics!"
#3942, aired 2001-10-23 FIVE WEDDINGS & A FUNERAL $200: Dustin Hoffman learns about plastics & then busts up a wedding in this classic 1967 film
#3413, aired 1999-06-09 NAME THE MOVIE $500: 1967: "I just want to say one word to you -- just one word...plastics"
Another notch of many for the occupation "librarian" today with Ellen winning.
wouldn't think so...all of the correct responses in that category began with "in"
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

what is so great about the quote "plastics"?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

True North wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:17 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:32 pm What was the TOM for Stevie Nicks or Afghanistan in the top box? I saw "name that sounds like Rihanna" and guessed that, and then "total word salad abuot war that I couldn't make heads or tails of".
Rhiannon is a Fleetwood Mac song.
i am with the hammer dude...never heard of it...i try not to bother with music from the 70s
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Even if Beth had got the two unplayed clues it was still a lock for Ellen. Beth was also likely going to lose if she solved DD3 a 15000-14200-5100 lead on a TS FJ! clue spells trouble for the leader. Though not always of course.
But perhaps, the bad guess on WORDS, WORDS, WORDS for $800, and "Iran" for Afghanistan would have dropped her back into second place. I felt those misses nailed her coffin for the runnaway.

The DD she missed was very gettable as well. Every J! contestant should know the Four-Corners States.
I was yelling at the TV when she blurtted out "Nevada" with nary a pause to ponder.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I got fixated on the year 1941 and almost went the Casablanca route, but "Paris" didn't seem like a good one word response. Once I thought of "big one word movie quotes", I headed straight to "Rosebud", although I thought that Citizen Kane was made much earlier. I've seen "The Graduate" - just once, years ago. Liked it, but I've NEVER heard or read the "plastics" quote repeated, and don't remember it at all from the film. If you'd spotted me the movie, I would have stared back blankly and maybe guessed "seduce". I didn't even get to the Graduate for 1967, and went to 1968's "2001: A Space Odyseey". But, again, "Open the pod bay doors, HAL" (on the list) wasn't going to cut it. I scribbled down "No", both as HAL's possible response, or a good generic quote for any other movie.

Incidentally, the quote "Stella! Hey Stella!" is on the list, so it was a good guess...except for the 1951 part. If it hadn't been a decade off, and they hadn't given the years, it would be cheap, because most people just go "Stellaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" when remembering the quote. (Or, at least, that's how Elaine remembered it.)

I had "miners" instead of "coal miners" for black lung. BMS probably, right? Not sure if I would have gotten "coal" in time.

I knew innumeracy from the book that was written in the...probably early 90s? Late 80s?