Thursday, November 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:52 pm
floridagator wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:53 pmAlso you never commented on my plan to send Alex a book without a mailer, just taping the book shut. Does that make me look too cheap?
Are you suggesting you're the one who mailed me that shopping mall book?
Who besides you and the sender knew the book had been taped shut and put in the mail without an envelope?
Last edited by floridagator on Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:45 pm It helps that I married the cute 3rd grader that was my best friend's little sister :).
Gutsy. In today's environment, there aren't too many willing to marry an 18-year-old 12th grader, let alone a 3rd grader.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 40,000
47 R/0 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: Lot's wife (DD)

I tried to cycle through as many Union generals as I could, but somehow I forgot General Sherman, who of course matches up with "the Sherman Antitrust Act guy." Boo hiss.

I also continued my streak of forgetting about Edward VII and skipping to George V. Double boo hiss. In the future, hopefully I can remember that sandwiched between Vickie and Liz are Edward, George, Edward, George.

NHO "rooked." Also, "dragon fruit" is new to the OED? Really? Those have been fairly common in the U.S. for at least a decade.

I too put "obtuse" for the triangle and originally marked it wrong but have since credited myself with a reversal. talkingaway's comment about the possibility of obtuse right triangles in non-Euclidean geometry notwithstanding, I have great confidence that the judges would count obtuse as "not exactly what we were going for, but it fits the parameters of the clue."
Sprinkles are for winners.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

There were three of the four that surprised me as being considered "new to the OED". It seems that the OED, the world's most permissive dictionary, enters a word as soon as it's been used by.... um, maybe five people. I guess not in these cases...

I've known the word "rooked" and that usage for 50-60 years... As in "I got rooked!" The only reason the word isn't even older to me is the fact I'm only 63. I bet "rooked" has been around since the Roaring 20's and the gangsters...

"n00b" is well over twenty years old... I remember seeing it in AOL trivia chats when I joined in '95.

"Grassy Knoll" has been a common phrase since maybe the day after JFK got shot.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rackme32 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:22 pm There were three of the four that surprised me as being considered "new to the OED". It seems that the OED, the world's most permissive dictionary, enters a word as soon as it's been used by.... um, maybe five people. I guess not in these cases...

I've known the word "rooked" and that usage for 50-60 years... As in "I got rooked!" The only reason the word isn't even older to me is the fact I'm only 63. I bet "rooked" has been around since the Roaring 20's and the gangsters...
Agreed. I don't feel like digging around, but I'm pretty sure I learned the usage via books that are older than I am, probably older than my parents. Feels very Damon Runyonesque, which fits your impression exactly.
billiej

Post by billiej »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:06 pm Still doesn't matter since I will never eat grilled cheese unless you make it with some real cheddar or go esoteric with something like, I dunno, smoked gouda. Because I prefer my cheese not to taste or feel like an entire box of melted Crayolas.
I'm with you there. I love grilled cheese, but it needs to be made with actual cheese. American "cheese" or Velveeta or whatever isn't even food, much less cheese. :P
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

The combination of bread and melted cheese is one of life’s great treats and takes many forms (fondue, crostini, gougeres, etc). But good cheese is an essential. Many years ago, a co-worker was banned from the communal microwave in the lunch room after repeatedly nuking a particularly smelly Gruyere onto bread and stinking out the whole room :lol:
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:28 amAlso, the clue didn't specify Euclidean geometry, where the parallel postulate is accepted. If you place a triangle on a globe as in an elliptic geometry (defining a line as the arc of a great circle), you can get triangles whose angles sum to greater than 180 degrees, and hence you can have a triangle with a right angle AND an obtuse angle. So, that's an obtuse triangle with a right angle.
That reminds me of an old riddle - that most here probably know already. A man walks a mile due south, a mile due east, then a mile due north. He ends up back where he started. He sees a bear. What color is the bear?
Spoiler
White. It has to be a polar bear.
That actually describes a triangle with two right angles. Kind of clever - particularly when you're a high school student studying geometry and just moving from planes to three dimensional objects. (Which is where I first heard it.)
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:56 pmI guess weekends are for hijacking game threads - the monte cristo club is where the cool people hang 8-)
Any sandwich can be improved by dipping it in batter and deep frying it. I remember the first time I ate a monte cristo. All I could think of was what kind of sorcery is this? Taking a boring ham and cheese sandwich and making it wonderful!
--Peter
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:14 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:56 pmI guess weekends are for hijacking game threads - the monte cristo club is where the cool people hang 8-)
Any sandwich can be improved by dipping it in batter and deep frying it. I remember the first time I ate a monte cristo. All I could think of was what kind of sorcery is this? Taking a boring ham and cheese sandwich and making it wonderful!
At Colorado College, when Saga meal service cooked up French toast for breakfast (a meal I seldom took), they'd turn the leftovers into monte cristos for lunch. They were... not wonderful. Eating one might make you croak, monsieur.
In and out of the pool four times
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:09 am
That reminds me of an old riddle - that most here probably know already. A man walks a mile due south, a mile due east, then a mile due north. He ends up back where he started. He sees a bear. What color is the bear?
Spoiler
White. It has to be a polar bear.
That actually describes a triangle with two right angles. Kind of clever - particularly when you're a high school student studying geometry and just moving from planes to three dimensional objects. (Which is where I first heard it.)
And a little-known variant of the same riddle that some may not know: A man walks a mile due south, a mile due east, then a mile due north. He ends up back where he started. He sees a bird. What color is the bird?
Spoiler
Black and white. You may have bumped into Opus hanging around his home. The starting point is anywhere 1+1/π miles from the South Pole. Your mile south takes you to about a third of a mile from the pole, your mile due east circumnavigates the pole and returns you to the point where your eastbound trek started, then you retrace your steps one mile north to your original starting point and meet a penguin. Two right angles and a walk "around the world".
I was very pleased with myself for having come up with that in geometry class, and was very disappointed to find out others knew the solution -- Piers Anthony used it 12 or 15 years later in one of his Phaze/Proton books.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:18 pm And a little-known variant of the same riddle that some may not know: A man walks a mile due south, a mile due east, then a mile due north. He ends up back where he started. He sees a bird. What color is the bird?
Er... did you mean a mile due NORTH, a mile due east, then a mile due SOUTH? Or am I not picturing this right? The way you have it, I think the answer is:
Spoiler
Whatever color bird is riding on the back of that white bear.
Edited to add some pedantry
Also, I think you wouldn't see penguins at the south pole. It's too far inland and too cold (even for penguins). they tend to live on the perimeter of Antarctica and even there they have to huddle together for warmth. (At least that's what we tell the women.)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:07 pm
Also, I think you wouldn't see penguins at the south pole. It's too far inland and too cold (even for penguins). they tend to live on the perimeter of Antarctica and even there they have to huddle together for warmth. (At least that's what we tell the women.)
and there aren't any bears at the North Pole
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:18 pm And a little-known variant of the same riddle that some may not know: A man walks a mile due south, a mile due east, then a mile due north. He ends up back where he started. He sees a bird. What color is the bird?
Er... did you mean a mile due NORTH, a mile due east, then a mile due SOUTH? Or am I not picturing this right? The way you have it, I think the answer is:
Spoiler
Spoiler
I think your pedantry is correct; there aren't any penguins that far inland -- nothing for them to eat. We have to assume it got lost or forgot to stop while marching along with Morgan Freeman.

However, it really is a mile south to start with, since you're starting approximately 1.318 miles from the south pole. Your one mile south (toward the pole) takes you to a point on a circle one mile in diameter with the South Pole at the center. The one mile due east takes you exactly one time around that circle, where you retrace your original journey in reverse by going north in your same footprints to return to your starting point.

I guess we could change the one mile, one mile, one mile to 100 miles or so for each of the three pieces of the journey to increase the chance of running into one of your cousins. You'd then need to start just under 132 miles from the pole so your circular journey has a circumference of 100 miles. Maybe penguins get that close to the pole? If not, we can adjust distances as needed.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

reddpen wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:33 am At Colorado College, when Saga meal service cooked up French toast for breakfast (a meal I seldom took)...
Incidentally, I am told that Northwestern University students still refer to the food service as "Saga," even though that was three decades and two names ago (Saga became Marriott, and then Sodexo) -- is that the case at other institutes of higher learning that were also once fed by Saga?
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Spoiler
Besides, we all know penguins are from Hoboken... Ask Bugs Bunny!
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Rackme32 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:22 pm There were three of the four that surprised me as being considered "new to the OED". It seems that the OED, the world's most permissive dictionary, enters a word as soon as it's been used by.... um, maybe five people. I guess not in these cases...

"n00b" is well over twenty years old... I remember seeing it in AOL trivia chats when I joined in '95.

"Grassy Knoll" has been a common phrase since maybe the day after JFK got shot.
I'm a bit late to this thread, but I wanted to point out that "new to the OED" should certainly not be taken to mean, "new to the English language". This OED blog post notes that the newly-added verb sprit has been in the language for over 1000 years. You speculate that rooked originated in the 1920s but the OED entry traces it back to 1676. As for grassy knoll, the OED probably wouldn't include the term at all if it were only used to refer to the Kennedy assassination; it's worthy of inclusion because of its extended use: "with reference to anything considered as a major factor or issue in any investigation around which conspiracy theories have been constructed" (source). One of the quotations is from Infoworld in 1996: "My..favorite [conspiracy theory]: Netscape is blocking Microsoft... Fun, but these grassy knoll theories don't hold together when I point my Netscape browser to Microsoft's site." The OED's earliest quotation for this extended use of grassy knoll is from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in 1989; it also includes two earlier quotations (1966 and 1978) clearly referring to the Kennedy assassination.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Mathew5000 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:09 am
Rackme32 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:22 pm "Grassy Knoll" has been a common phrase since maybe the day after JFK got shot.
The OED's earliest quotation for this extended use of grassy knoll is from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in 1989; it also includes two earlier quotations (1966 and 1978) clearly referring to the Kennedy assassination.
I can understand why it doesn't cite Kate McKinnon's use of the term as her "Colleen Rafferty" character on SNL ......
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Watching the rerun of this game from a couple of Saturdays ago. I wonder why Alex needed an (audible) judges' ruling on "What is BTS?" Could there have been a different name on his paper? Did he just not hear clearly? Did he think it's pronounced "Bits"?