Friday, November 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Friday, November 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

Stupid football game ran long, so I had to play J! round off the archive. The irony of J! being preempted TWICE for football... :evil:

And now paperwork...
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:49 pm Here's a link if nothing else works.

https://tinyurl.com/sh4gotw
Incidentally, when I tried that on Chrome (which I do not sign into Google on...) it takes me to the Google sign in page.
On Firefox, it's gray with a do not enter thingy in the middle. I'm guessing we're butting up against some permissions issue

This one was good tho:
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:48 pm
Back to Google Photos, but I uploaded the same file with a filename that has no spaces, just in case.
And there's always attaching to the post directly.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:47 pm And there's always attaching to the post directly.
Ok, how long has this been possible? I could've sworn I checked for a way to upload images to JBoard way back when and concluded it couldn't be done. That's why I've always used external links.

So presumably everyone can see THIS?

20191122.jpg
20191122.jpg (77.59 KiB) Viewed 2076 times

Is there a downside to doing it this way (other than the slightly obnoxious text at the bottom of the image)? Does the image eventually get deleted? Does it become the property of the evil JBoard owner?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

So, how we doing on the video front? Still not embeddable?
not playable for me anyway
https://youtu.be/GGQbLwsDtVY
Here's a link that provides the context of that reaction shot. The whole sequence is delightful, and it's especially fun to watch that expression develop on Elise's face. The still image, wonderful as it is, doesn't do it justice.

https://youtu.be/GGQbLwsDtVY
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm not sure what's going on with images or videos. Hasn't been the same since we needed to update the PHPBB software. I only saw the Google image. I always just upload the picture as an attachment; I don't know of any disadvantage other than the size limitation (so I usually just cut them down). And yes, all your GIFs are belong to me.

P.S. She was amused by it.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Who "was amused by" what? Elise? You know Elise?

Re: embedded video, the weird and slightly disturbing thing is that clicking on the phpBB in the bottom right of the black box takes me to a Russian (well, Cyrillic alphabetted) site called http://phpbbex.com/. Have we been hijacked? Will this all get better once the impeachment is over?
video example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGQbLwsDtVY
Would it help to switch to a different plugin such as the one that supports the [media] code?

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ediaembed/
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I replied to a Facebook post of Elise's about her attire with that picture. It got a 'laughing' reaction from her.

I can look into that extension. Or maybe see if I can get the 'video' button to actually work.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:48 pm Ok, a couple more images to try:
This one is hosted by Dropbox rather than Google Photos
Back to Google Photos, but I uploaded the same file with a filename that has no spaces, just in case.
The last image from Google photos is the first one I've been able to see. Previous ones showed a circle with a bar through it; the first one in this note simply says "Image" in text. The final one comes in just fine. Using a desktop PC with Windows 10. Browser doesn't make a difference -- Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Edge all give the same result.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:13 pm
Google has a parent company? I thought it was just Google.
It's a holding company, not a parent company. Alphabet was created to own Google, the same way bank holding companies are created to own banks.

Citicorp is the holding company of Citibank.
Bank of America Corporation is the holding company of Bank of America.
U.S. Bancorporation is the holding company of U S Bank.
Etc.

Volante wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:47 pm
Incidentally, when I tried that on Chrome (which I do not sign into Google on...) it takes me to the Google sign in page.
On Firefox, it's gray with a do not enter thingy in the middle. I'm guessing we're butting up against some permissions issue
OR maybe you've ticked off someone with power at Alphabet.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 42,400
52 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: orthopedist, Oh, The Places You'll Go! (DD), All the Light We Cannot See, foundry, Saul Alinsky, George Dewey

Garden + "terra cotta" immediately brought to mind flowerpots, but "eccentric" quickly helped me find my way gnome.

I wish I hadn't seen that Good Television category. I missed both the $1200 and $2000 clues, giving me a total of $-400 in the category. Then again, Elise hooked up with a $2000 rebound on All the Light We Cannot See that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I also absolutely blanked on "proletariat," but at least I had the good sense not to ring in on that one.
talkingaway wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:29 pm I had the "Sung" part for the grandpa of North Korea, but blanked on the easiest part of the name. But "that moonie guy" (Sun Myung Moon) got mixed in my head, and made me clam. Speaking of which, what's the J! convention for certain Asian names? Case-by-case basis? The family name is generally first in China and Korea, so would "Kim" count? Is it "last name" and not "family name", so "Il-Sung" would count? Because either one would be a little weird. (Almost as weird as not needing to specify the full name for Jeff Bezos' wife.) I love the Olympic convention of all-caps for family names when they show the players competing on TV - whether it's the first name or last name.
It should be the family name, Kim, although that should obviously lead to a BMS in this case.
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:25 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:13 pm
Google has a parent company? I thought it was just Google.
It's a holding company, not a parent company. Alphabet was created to own Google, the same way bank holding companies are created to own banks.
Their own SEC filings call it a "parent holding company," so nothing wrong with calling it either one...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:53 pm All opus images work for me and great screen grab.
No opus images work for me