Thursday, November 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD ORIGINS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From a Sanskrit word for “descent”, it’s the form a god takes on descending to Earth

Ellen Keane: 6400-6390=10
Jamin Speer: 10600-9000=1600
Alex Damisch: 9788+3013=12801 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
avatar (Ellen – corporeal) (Jamin – guru) (Alex crossed out incarnation)

Daily Doubles
Alex: 1400-1312
Alex: 6088+2500
Jamin: 6400+3000

Coryats
Ellen: 6400
Jamin: 9200
Alex: 10600

Combined: 26,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ellen: 1600
Jamin: 3600
Alex: 1688
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here's one for cheezguyty: Alex had $88 after missing DD1. Anyone ever had that score before? At any point?

The players did not have a great J! round though made things a little better in the DJ! round.

The scoreboard spread out a little bit at the end as with two clues left ($400 & $2000) it was:
Jamin: 10200
Alex: 10188

The $2000 clue stumper to end the DJ! round had me wondering if it was going to be better or worse for Jamin or Alex to lead/trail going into the FJ! round. Turned out not to matter with Alex's sole solve although if she had gained the lead she would have made more money.

Figures I would get the FJ! clue right in a not strong category quickly after missing ones in good areas of presidents & movies earlier this week. Not much to write and everything fit for a relaxed think time. Trebek's mention of a "very big film" only gave me extra insurance that I could be thankful today.

Chess again? The writers do like that well of game knowledge. 3/5 for me although I would love more board game variety as backgammon does not get nearly as much love on the show.

Schedule looks okay for J! at normal time on WAKA tomorrow.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

j-archive.com not working for me, so no guesstimate for when I can archive the game. I'll check later and do it when my time/site accessibility line up.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:18 pm j-archive.com not working for me, so no guesstimate for when I can archive the game. I'll check later and do it when my time/site accessibility line up.
Robert K S and I are aware and are investigating.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Instant get FJ. I wasn't sure but I didn't know what else it could be. And it was a more difficult version of the FJ clue that came up in the UToC!
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I know it was innocent, but why wasn't that first DD wager changed in post-production? Even though only a couple numbers are prohibited, it's still possible to get those numbers during the show, and as a result of that wrong answer, we got two of them.
Hoping for a third lap
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran "From G to G" and "Unfix the Song Title", 0/5 in Oscar-Winning and Dictator Tots. Despite that and a handful of clams, my Coryat was closer to what it had been earlier in the season.

"Moonlight" was a NHOI for me so I understand the top-box TS there.

I admit I couldn't get "hippopotamus" either. I was stuck on seafaring animals and was struggling to make any of the cetaceans into 12-letters. My only miss in that category.

FINALLY Miranda Lambert isn't a TS! (For the record, "Automatic" is easily one of my least-favorite songs ever. Don't ever play it around me unless you want to see me chuck a stereo off a balcony.)

I knew the FJ! would be a familiar word, but not even the "big film" hint got me there. I have heard the word "avatar" in a few contexts, but this is not one of them.

Lots of Lach Trash for me: groundhog, grating, homeless, Colt 45, file, Jack Dempsey, biodiversity, northern pike
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:05 am Here's one for cheezguyty: Alex had $88 after missing DD1. Anyone ever had that score before? At any point?
Emily Goodlander finished the game with $88 back in 2014: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1766.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $32,200 (41R, 2W)
DD: 1/3
FJ: :(
LT: groundhog, file, rhea, en passant, Colt 45, Jack Dempsey, The Cider House Rules, biodiversity, Uday & Qusay Hussein, sturgeon

Would’ve had a fourth-podium win had I pulled out FJ, but I said paragon instead as that was all I could come up with. Glad that Alex got it, I was rooting for her as a fellow data nerd :)

Both incorrects were in Dictator Tots, said Xi Jinping for KJE for some unknown reason :oops:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

What mixed feelings! Tonight's game was preempted by my Dallas Cowboys. Any other time, if they were on different stations, I would have been horribly conflicted. Tonight, had no choice. And to top it all off, my 'boys got their collective butt kicked by the Bills. I have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving Day, but 7:30-8:00 was not on the list.

Thanks for posting the game summary. I was able to get Avatar immediately to remain perfect 4-for-4 FJ this week.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

sarisson wrote: I know it was innocent, but why wasn't that first DD wager changed in post-production? Even though only a couple numbers are prohibited, it's still possible to get those numbers during the show, and as a result of that wrong answer, we got two of them.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

disappointed colt seavers wasn't used in the colt category...would have been interesting if they had gone the billy dee williams route for colt 45 since he was the answer to a clue in the previous episode
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I suspect that contestant Alex is a ham radio operator, because her unusual bet of 1312, which host Alex even called unusual, left her with $88 after missing the extremely easy answer of Buenos Aires. 8 8 is the ham radio code for love and kisses, an especially affectionate way of signing off.

Error in clue: American Pharoah [sic] winning the Triple Crown in 2015 ended a 36 year drought, not a 37-year one. The drought did not begin in 1978 when Affirmed won the Triple Crown. It began the next year when the horse didn't.
Last edited by floridagator on Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

floridagator wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:14 am I suspect that contestant Alex is a ham radio operator, because her unusual bet of 1312, which host Alex even called unusual, left her with $88 after missing the extremely easy answer of Buenos Aires. 8 8 is the ham radio code for love and kisses, and especially affectionate way of signing off.

Error in clue: American Pharoah [sic] winning the Triple Crown in 2015 ended a 36 year drought, not a 37-year one. The drought did not begin in 1978 when Affirmed won the Triple Crown. It began the next year when the horse didn't.
so you are going on the assumption that she chose that number of 1312 in the event she gets it wrong so she could have 88? seems like she would have to be thinking negatively...why not think 2712 had some meaning for her? and why ham radio if she did intend for 88 to be significant? maybe she is an eric lindros fan or dale earnhardt jr fan
Last edited by CasketRomance on Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

She's from Chicago, and 312 is the area code of Chicago. 1-(312) was meant to be a shoutout to her home city.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

tiwonge wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:22 am She's from Chicago, and 312 is the area code of Chicago. 1-(312) was meant to be a shoutout to her home city.

You're telling *ME* about area codes?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:30 am
floridagator wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:14 am I suspect that contestant Alex is a ham radio operator, because her unusual bet of 1312, which host Alex even called unusual, left her with $88 after missing the extremely easy answer of Buenos Aires. 8 8 is the ham radio code for love and kisses, and especially affectionate way of signing off.

so you are going on the assumption that she chose that number of 1312 in the event she gets it wrong so she could have 88? seems like she would have to be thinking negatively...why not think 2712 had some meaning for her? and why ham radio if she did intend for 88 to be significant? maybe she is a mario lemieux fan or dale earnhardt jr fan
Lemieux was 66. Maybe she was an Eric Lindros fan though :lol:
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

tiwonge wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:22 am She's from Chicago, and 312 is the area code of Chicago. 1-(312) was meant to be a shoutout to her home city.
This has been reported extensively on both Reddit and Twitter. This is the definitive answer.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan