Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by teapot37 »

Tried to think of a novel actually set in Britain fitting the clue and couldn't really come up with anything. Even if Ireland was part of the UK at the time, calling Stoker "British" is kind of dirty pool.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've heard of balsamic viniagrette dressing, but never knew there was actually a balsamic vinegar.

Any reason I should know that German salad is made from potatoes?

0/5 in Women of Science. I saw no way to figure out "engineering" in the first box.

All but "fortress" in "SS", all but Alexis Carrington in TV.

I've heard of Ted Kennedy, but didn't know there was also a Jr.

What was the TOM for "Naples" in the top box? I "went with the obvious" and figured top-box Italy had to be Rome, right? Why was it wrong? What was even the TOM? I was -1/5 there.

Also 0/5 in Kennedy. That category seemed super YEKIOYD.

No guess on FJ! I don't see a way to figure this one out at all outside blind luck.

Lach Trash: degauss, kung fu
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:10 pm What was the TOM for "Naples" in the top box? I "went with the obvious" and figured top-box Italy had to be Rome, right? Why was it wrong? What was even the TOM?
No clue how anyone could get from Neapolis to Naples...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:10 pm I've heard of balsamic viniagrette dressing, but never knew there was actually a balsamic vinegar.

Any reason I should know that German salad is made from potatoes?

0/5 in Women of Science. I saw no way to figure out "engineering" in the first box.

All but "fortress" in "SS", all but Alexis Carrington in TV.

I've heard of Ted Kennedy, but didn't know there was also a Jr.

What was the TOM for "Naples" in the top box? I "went with the obvious" and figured top-box Italy had to be Rome, right? Why was it wrong? What was even the TOM? I was -1/5 there.

Also 0/5 in Kennedy. That category seemed super YEKIOYD.

No guess on FJ! I don't see a way to figure this one out at all outside blind luck.

Lach Trash: degauss, kung fu

not sure..i got it right because the word in the clue was similar to the russian word for potato...didn't realise that word was taken from the german

the name in the clue looked pretty close to naples to me...never heard of neopolitan? it is what you call a person from naples...italian word for naples is napoli
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:40 pm They rammed the ramparts, they battled the battlements, they cased the casements

They looked in each nook, scanned every cranny, and stared Under the Stairs.

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:09 am
Different spelling but Gabrielle's last name of Merken made me think of the, ahem, movie-making item whose definition I would only know from Whoopi mentioning it more than once on The View.
Will Hieronymus Mirkin ever forget Mercy Humppe and find true happiness?
Last edited by floridagator on Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Ellison(Negged with Buffett.), Rhonda Rousey(Didn't recognize her from the picture.), and Peter Lawford(No idea about the wife.).)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Alexander Pope, Maya Angelou, Pikes Peak, Younger Brothers, Vince McMahon, Fortress, Degauss, Ted Kennedy Jr., Kung-Fu, Alexis Carrington, Henry the Navigator, Western Australia, Cuomo
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:10 pm I've heard of balsamic viniagrette dressing, but never knew there was actually a balsamic vinegar.
I've grown used to a lot with TPH, but that one had me laughing out loud. Fortunately not waking Mrs. alietr in the process.

One for cheezguyty: What is the percentage of shows with 3 women contestants?
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I could've done without Alex throwing shade at the entire home viewing audience during his opening remarks. For some reason that rubbed me the wrong way.

"CLASSIC BRITISH NOVELS' anchored me to novels taking place in Britain so that particular quote did not lead me to any useful associations given the setting of the quote. Went with David Copperfield just to have something.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:10 pm I thought the clue was pointing at a castle. Thought of both Dracula and Frankenstein. Considered Shelley vs Stoker and indeed thought Mary was much more clearly British. I haven't read the book, so I'm not sure if Victor Frankenstein lived in a castle. But there is an actual Frankenstein Castle that apparently inspired Shelley, so I'm guessing that he did? Feeling a bit hosed on this one.
I briefly considered Frankenstein too, but then decided that the Count was probably more likely to speak in such a "literary" style ("The children of the night, what music they make," etc.) but that doesn't seem like much to hang your hat on.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

alietr wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:51 am One for cheezguyty: What is the percentage of shows with 3 women contestants?
Since April 28, 2004, 77 out of 2,844 regular episodes (2.7%) have had three female contestants. Here's the breakdown by season:

Code: Select all

20 -  1/ 53 - 1.9%
21 -  0/119 - 0.0%
22 -  8/195 - 4.1%
23 -  3/185 - 1.6%
24 -  8/195 - 4.1%
25 -  2/189 - 1.1%
26 -  2/181 - 1.1%
27 -  6/192 - 3.1%
28 -  3/180 - 1.7%
29 -  4/185 - 2.2%
30 -  9/175 - 5.1%
31 -  5/200 - 2.5%
32 -  7/195 - 3.6%
33 - 10/200 - 5.0%
34 -  6/200 - 3.0%
35 -  2/190 - 1.1%
36 -  1/ 50 - 2.0%
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

cheezguyty wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:25 pm
alietr wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:51 am One for cheezguyty: What is the percentage of shows with 3 women contestants?
Since April 28, 2004, 77 out of 2,844 regular episodes (2.7%) have had three female contestants. Here's the breakdown by season:
Do you also track glbt? Who was the first openly glbt contestant?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:09 am
Different spelling but Gabrielle's last name of Merken made me think of the, ahem, movie-making item whose definition I would only know from Whoopi mentioning it more than once on The View.
It was also mentioned in an episode of "The "Simpsons" that caused a water-choking moment for me -- Wille the Groundskeeper was for some reason beardless and my coffee table got sprayed when he complained that he had to wear one on his face.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:20 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:07 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:04 pm Seemed unnecessarily vague for an FJ clue, maybe they thought "battlements" would steer people in the right direction?
That has to be the intended TOM; knowing that a "battlement" was part of a castle. I admit that I did not know the term. I focused on "broken", trying to think of characters living in poverty.
That's where I was. I landed on Oliver Twist.
Didn't recognize the quote but thought it was quite Dickensian. Knew it wasn't Oliver Twist, so I had to go with "Nicholas Nickleby" in desperation as the only Dickens "title character" I could think of that I couldn't be sure was incorrect. And I was on a 4/4 FJ streak for the week. Darn.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:10 pm Any reason I should know that German salad is made from potatoes?
It's not that German salad contains potatoes as a rule; German potato salad contains potatoes, but they couldn't call it by its full English name in the clue. So they called it by its full German name, which contains Kartoffel, the German word for "potato."

I also don't like that an Irishman's novel was the response in the category CLASSIC BRITISH NOVELS (notwithstanding the novel's having been written and first published in Britain) but since neither losing player even named a British novel, I won't go so far as to suggest they should be brought back for having been disadvantaged by that perceived inaccuracy. And in the end, I have to concede anyway that, for example, Lolita is an American novel regardless of its author's origins.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:33 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:10 pm Any reason I should know that German salad is made from potatoes?
It's not that German salad contains potatoes as a rule; German potato salad contains potatoes, but they couldn't call it by its full English name in the clue. So they called it by its full German name, which contains Kartoffel, the German word for "potato."
That doesn't seem like an entry-level German word to me.

But then again, I managed to be fluent in Spanish for about ten years without ever learning the word for "both" since I just never had to use it somehow.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:00 pm
That doesn't seem like an entry-level German word to me.
I've never studied German, in academic or trivia contexts, and I knew the word. (Never mind that the largest part of my traceable ancestry is Pennsylvania Germans and I have eaten German potato salad.)
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

I also don't like that an Irishman's novel was the response in the category CLASSIC BRITISH NOVELS (notwithstanding the novel's having been written and first published in Britain) but since neither losing player even named a British novel, I won't go so far as to suggest they should be brought back for having been disadvantaged by that perceived inaccuracy. And in the end, I have to concede anyway that, for example, Lolita is an American novel regardless of its author's origins.
Nabokov was an American citizen long before he wrote Lolita, in America.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:51 am
I've grown used to a lot with TPH, but that one had me laughing out loud. Fortunately not waking Mrs. alietr in the process.
I had no clue Belgian endive came from Belgium. Or German shepherds from Germany. Who knew?????
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

John Boy wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:18 pm
alietr wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:51 am
I had no clue Belgian endive came from Belgium. Or German shepherds from Germany. Who knew?????
but french fries didn't originate in france
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Hugo Z wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:51 pm
Nabokov was an American citizen long before he wrote Lolita, in America.
Hence the concession.