FJs for the 11/25/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 11/25/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:49 pm

The New York Stock Exchange allowed jeans on the trading floor for the initial public offering of the stock with this 4-letter symbol
97%
Speechwriter Samuel Rosenman said FDR “attached no importance to” this phrase, “two monosyllables” in a 1932 speech
74%
The 2 single-word quotes on AFI’s list of the Top 100 movie quotes; 1 is from 1941, the other from 1967
38%
From a Sanskrit word for “descent”, it’s the form a god takes on descending to Earth
68%
The title character of this novel says of his home, “The wind breathes cold through the broken battlements and casements”  
20%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
9%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
NEW YORK-SET NOVELS $600: It begins, “Amerigo Bonasera sat in New York Criminal Court…andwaited for justice; vengeance on the men who…hurt his daughter”
58%
DEEP STUFF $600: This 8-letter type of digitally manipulated video hasrealistic face swaps, like Nicolas Cage’s face on Amy Adams’ body
56%
PHARMACY KNOWLEDGE $1600: Term for a pharmacy that makes up individualized batches forpatients who can’t use a big pharma product
29%
I had "Rosebud" but not "Plastics" for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
32%
I had "Plastics" but not "Rosebud" for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
9%
I had "Rosebud" and "Plastic" to miss the Wednesday FJ! clue.
2%
"Stella" was part of my response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
14%
Oliver Twist was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
15%
I missed the Friday FJ! clue with a non-Oliver Twist work by Dickens.
23%

Total votes: 111

Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: FJs for the 11/25/19 week

Post by Shaquebanisa »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

John Oliver got me to compounding pharmacy.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:?: :( :mrgreen:
LEVI was no confidence guess because well, 1849 (ish) and I didn't know about 4 letter stock symbols on NYSE until the clue.
No detours getting to New Deal
Rosebud but not plastics but would have if I knew the movie was 1967.
Couldn't pull Avatar, but knew it would be a familiar term.
I wanted Ebeneezer Scrooge, but he is not a title character. Discarded David Copperfield and Oliver Twist and considered Sherlock Holmes. Don't know what a battlement is and I focused on the wretched housing and named characters.

I clammed because I thought the Godfather started out at a wedding and the cake baker wanted his son-in-law to have an attitude adjustment (maybe that was GF2, I'm not a big fan of depressing movies).

I knew of our lone compounding pharmacy in this metro area, as well as issues concerning the lethal cocktails so we can kill poor people in Missouri.

No schedule issues unless my DVR is smarter than I think.
Seen both flicks probably thanks to Blockbuster and poor decision making :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I'm surprised about how much harder "Dracula" seems to have been than "New Deal." If one can get past the Irish/British confusion, "character who lives in a cold, beaten-up castle" leads to very few places, it seems to me, whereas "two monosyllables" has the potential to get one very stuck indeed if one doesn't have the magic working. But the poll says otherwise.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:41 am I'm surprised about how much harder "Dracula" seems to have been than "New Deal." If one can get past the Irish/British confusion, "character who lives in a cold, beaten-up castle" leads to very few places, it seems to me, whereas "two monosyllables" has the potential to get one very stuck indeed if one doesn't have the magic working. But the poll says otherwise.
You have to be able to make the connection between "battlement" and "castle". I wasn't able to do that, for one.
davey

Post by davey »

I may have subconsciously been aware that battlements leads to castle leads to Dracula, but on the surface I was just thinking it's an unsettling thing to say, and what title character makes his guests more uneasy than Dracula? I still remember seeing Werner Herzog's version of Nosferatu when I was in college, and the scary way Klaus Kinski says to a guest, Die nacht ist kalt...
(Though if "title character" wasn't in the clue I would have stuck with Wuthering Heights...)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

Darn Dracula. Had to check the non-Oliver Twist box; went with Nicholas Nickleby.

Knew deep fake but couldn't dredge it up in time, and blurted "boutique" pharmacy instead of "compounding." Kind of a stretch, but maybe a 10-20% chance they might have allowed it based on ambiguous definitions.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

When I saw the Friday reveal I did my Homer Simpson "DOH" and headslap, as I had seen that passage about Dracula's abode some time long ago and should have remembered it.

Danged Bleak House anyway! I actually felt pretty confident when I put that down.

poop
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Had Rosebud, but still haven't gotten around to watching The Graduate.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Low confidence, but correct on Mon
No clue on Tues
Instantly got Rosebud, but nothing else struck me for Wed
Plenty of wrong answers on Thurs
Got the castle clue, but went with Frankenstein on Friday. (Always thought of as Gene Wilder's character saying "it's pronounced Fronk-en-steeeen")

Apparently, paying attention to current events and news paid off on the extras. Have read and watched plenty of news pieces concerned with the nefarious possibilities of deep fakes - particularly in the political scene. There's also concerns for actors having their images used in film and video - with or without permission. Will their acting skills be diminished by using lesser (read: less expensive) actors to do the bulk of the work, then pay better known actors smaller amounts for a bit of face work and line reading? Will dead actors be brought back to life? (Carrie Fisher to finish out the Star Wars series was one possibility talked about that didn't happen) Lots of difficult questions to be wrestled with there.

I have seen John Oliver's piece on compounding pharmacies, but was well-aware of them (through the news-worthy failures in a couple of them) long before Oliver's piece aired.

Back to the missing boxes - Never seen Citizen Kane - didn't even know the Rosebud quote was from that movie. Have no particular desire to see it. But I've seen the clip and heard the whispered name often enough to make an educated guess given the context of the clue. Also never seen that Dustin Hoffman film. Didn't know "Plastics" came from it, although I've also heard that quote a few times. Have no plans to see that movie, either.
--Peter
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

:mrgreen: :(

On Wednesday's FJ I got to plastics instantly, but got stuck on Casablanca (which I sort of knew was released in 1942), not 1941, for the other
movie. That clue needed more than 30 seconds. Would have been better suited to LL.

David Copperfield on Friday's "British" novels FJ.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide