Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:49 pm If I'm getting $6800 in Lach Trash (Thunberg, Car Talk, Rockefeller (Campanella, communist block),
The Rockefeller referenced in that song is not John D Junior but his son Nelson, who was governor of New York for 14 years and then Vice President of the United States, before he died on top of a woman he was working with on an art book.

I got Luther's 95 Theses right away and then skipped forward wondering if it would be a triple stumper. It would have been awful if Alex had been the only one to get that right and then blew it because of her lousy wager.

I pre called the reversal on light opera but was surprised by the two on birds of prey. I wish they would pin their Clues more carefully after doing needed research.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat 28200 (37 R, 3 W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

$10,400 in LT today, which is... an unusually high amount for me.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

51 R (Missed Danny McBride(Didn't recognize him by the picture.), Greta Thunberg(Forgot her name.), and Krist Novoselic(Pretty bad miss.).)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: *Raptors*, (John D. Rockefeller), Equator, Silk, Car Talk, *Operetta*, Metronome, Doc Holliday, Oahu, Fiasco, Teutonic Knights, Oaks, Missy Elliott, Fencing, (Mummy), Precinct, Worst-Case Scenario, Sir Walter Scott

Metronome a stumper?!?! :shock:
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:55 pm I got Luther's 95 Theses right away and then skipped forward wondering if it would be a triple stumper. It would have been awful if Alex had been the only one to get that right and then blew it because of her lousy wager.
I don't get it. Both her opponents finished below her pre-FJ total, so there was literally no wager that could have blown it for her on a single get.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:42 pm Crazy lach trash this game
Apparently. And I only managed 7R in DJ. Yet I just did the math and with a correct FJ, still would've won from 4th. 3R of my DJ round was Lach...go fig. Not a pretty win (requiring Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart from Mohammed), but still.

Regards to Lach rulings, say, of Thunberg and Operetta/raptor, which, if either, counts? (My thinking is Thunberg is -not- Lach but Operetta should be as a rebound was possible but not taken on the latter, but you couldn't rebound on the former)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:49 pm As far as FJ!...an instaget for me, followed by 29 seconds of heartburn, wondering if I had to have the NUMBER in my answer, or if just "What are Martin Luther's theses" was sufficient. No way was I ever going to pull out the number 95. (Honestly, he couldn't have come up with 5 more for an even hundred?)
Or at least four more (one for each luftballoon). I remember that in this pivotal-in-that-championship-season game, it was explained for Atish's enlightenment that "Luther's theses" would have been accepted.

I once played chess with a guy named Novoselski, which would have doomed me on the Nirvana clue.
I'm smart and I want respect.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:43 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:55 pm I got Luther's 95 Theses right away and then skipped forward wondering if it would be a triple stumper. It would have been awful if Alex had been the only one to get that right and then blew it because of her lousy wager.
I don't get it. Both her opponents finished below her pre-FJ total, so there was literally no wager that could have blown it for her on a single get.

Whatever are you talking about? Alex was in third place going into FJ. If either of her opponents had stood Pat, they would have won.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm
NHO Greta Thunberg, nor do I see why I should. That seemed horribly out of place in the top box.
There's really no reason to take this tone. Greta Thunberg attracted international attention this past summer for her climate change protests. She was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize and addressed the United Nations. She was on the cover of Time magazine and criticized by name in a tweet by the President. It's fine if you've never heard of her, it's fine if you don't pay attention to politics or world events or any of the fields in which Thunberg made worldwide news this past year. But please don't act like that awareness is somehow beneath you.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:05 am

Whatever are you talking about? Alex was in third place going into FJ. If either of her opponents had stood Pat, they would have won.
I'm talking about the impossibility of adding two positive numbers together and getting a number in between or below them.

Your hypothetical describes a situation where Alex loses because of her opponent's wager, not her own.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:53 am
floridagator wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:05 am

I'm talking about the impossibility of adding two positive numbers together and getting a number in between or below them.

Your hypothetical describes a situation where Alex loses because of her opponent's wager, not her own.
Right, her best wager regardless was $0.
davey

Post by davey »

I got 99 problems, and this FJ is one... :oops: Yes, I put down the wrong number...very bummed now that I know the number wasn't required...Any chance they were told in advance they didn't need one? It seems odd that neither Alex nor Muhammed attempted it. 95 Theses is the standard way of referring to them, after all..Over 900,000 hits on Google, only 25,000 for Luther's Theses...
Well, I would have had a 4th podium win anyway... :roll:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

davey wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:41 am I got 99 problems, and this FJ is one... :oops: Yes, I put down the wrong number...very bummed now that I know the number wasn't required...Any chance they were told in advance they didn't need one? It seems odd that neither Alex nor Muhammed attempted it. 95 Theses is the standard way of referring to them, after all..Over 900,000 hits on Google, only 25,000 for Luther's Theses...
Yeah, I wonder if they'd accept "what were God's commandments" on a Mount Sinai clue.
I'm smart and I want respect.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm You know it's a rough game when even I have a shot at getting a lock game on Lach Trash alone...

Ran Special "OP"s.

What was the TOM for "knee" in Clicks for $200? That was my only miss.

NHO Greta Thunberg, nor do I see why I should. That seemed horribly out of place in the top box.

Missy Elliott and Sam Smith were my misses in Pop Quiz. NHO the former, didn't know the latter is British.

Only skunk for me was Literary Works of the 1820s.

Literary lists, one of them talking about the Pope? Well, I work in a Lutheran church, so let's go with 95 Theses.

Lach Trash: raptor, equator, Car Talk, operetta, metronome, Doc Holliday, Oahu, Krist Novoselic, fencing, worst-case

you have been under a rock for the last several months? i know you do twitter...you don't subscribe to any news sites? your feed would have been flooded with her name when she spoke at the un...her speech even inspired a death metal song...is pretty solid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLxpgRqxtEA
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Rough game with a wild ending. I bet a huge range of responses in FJ would have been acceptable, as long as you led with "Luther's."
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Picked Off wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:49 am Rough game with a wild ending. I bet a huge range of responses in FJ would have been acceptable, as long as you led with "Luther's."
Yeah, I can't help wondering what the ruling would have been if Mohammed had completed the word complaints. It seems pretty clear to me that he knew what they were looking for so it would come down to whether he'd need to pin it with "theses." My thought process during Think Music was how I'd write it down. I settled on "The 95 Theses of Martin Luther," with the idea that it'd be correct after the first 3 words.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I was surprised by the reversal on prey/predator. But when I looked up the etymology, I saw that they had to accept those. It was interesting to see Alex credited with a right response but NOT be given the dollar value of the clue. She was only refunded the amount taken away, the same credit she would have received if her response had been flat out incorrect. What would they have done if Joanna had rung in third on that clue and gotten it right with "raptors"? "Ok, Mohammed, you got it right so we refund your $800 and give you another $800 for getting it right. Alex, you also got it right, but you wouldn't have if we'd accepted Mohammed's response. So we're only refunding your $800. Joanna, you get to keep the $800 you earned when we mistakenly ruled BOTH Mohammed and Alex incorrect, thus allowing you to get the clue right. So to review: All three of you got it right and two of you are getting $800."

They really need to rethink the rules on reversals to make them consistent and fair.

I was NOT surprised by the reversal on "light opera". As soon as Alex gave her response, I knew she was right. I went with their expected "operetta" myself. But "light opera" was immediately obvious as a correct alternative.

DD3 seemed problematic to me with "worm" pointing toward "dragon" but "Cheops" pointing toward something more explicitly Egyptian. I thought about the correct response ("mummy") but it seemed odd to refer to a mummy as a "creature". I assume the mummy becomes animate and causes trouble, which makes it a creature. But in situ, mummies are just things. So I totally get Alex's guess of "sphinx". I considered it, as well as mummy, before going with dragon.

I too am curious whether Mohammed would have received credit if he'd finished writing "complaints". They definitely would have had to accept "propositions", because that's what Luther called them. (And they would have had to accept "Disputation on the Power of Indulgences", but I doubt that would ever come up.) So "theses" or "propositions" or "statements" or any reasonable synonym should be fine. The question is whether they can all be characterized as "complaints". My ruling would be yes. Even if you can point to an individual proposition that doesn't sound like a complaint in itself, it's still part of a long complaint and thus can be characterized as a sub-complaint or simply a complaint.

If anyone wants to make a Fourth Podium Poll for this game, I'd love to take it. This just isn't a week where I can do that. (Especially since there would be SO MANY clues to include.) There were also a couple of games last week where I would have made one of those polls if I'd had time. I'm pretty confident this one could have been won easily from the fourth podium. The only question is whether it could have been one from that position by someone who missed FJ. I'm guessing yes.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:08 pm I was NOT surprised by the reversal on "light opera". As soon as Alex gave her response, I knew she was right. I went with their expected "operetta" myself. But "light opera" was immediately obvious as a correct alternative.
Alex really needs to be more careful with his category announcements when the category name has quotes in it. It was clear they were looking for words that begin with "Op" since every correct answer in the category started with Op. If he had said "starts with" (instead of his usual "We know what that means"), that would have eliminated the ambiguity of her incorrect answer. The mistake was Alex's.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:19 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:08 pm I was NOT surprised by the reversal on "light opera". As soon as Alex gave her response, I knew she was right. I went with their expected "operetta" myself. But "light opera" was immediately obvious as a correct alternative.
Alex really needs to be more careful with his category announcements when the category name has quotes in it. It was clear they were looking for words that begin with "Op" since every correct answer in the category started with Op. If he had said "starts with" (instead of his usual "We know what that means"), that would have eliminated the ambiguity of her incorrect answer. The mistake was Alex's.
Yep. The quotation marks can mean "starts with", "contains", or even "ends with". We definitely DON'T know what it means until they tell us.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jev15 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:21 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm
There's really no reason to take this tone. Greta Thunberg attracted international attention this past summer for her climate change protests. She was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize and addressed the United Nations. She was on the cover of Time magazine and criticized by name in a tweet by the President. It's fine if you've never heard of her, it's fine if you don't pay attention to politics or world events or any of the fields in which Thunberg made worldwide news this past year. But please don't act like that awareness is somehow beneath you.
You new here?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Lefty wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:13 am
davey wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:41 am I got 99 problems, and this FJ is one... :oops: Yes, I put down the wrong number...very bummed now that I know the number wasn't required...Any chance they were told in advance they didn't need one? It seems odd that neither Alex nor Muhammed attempted it. 95 Theses is the standard way of referring to them, after all..Over 900,000 hits on Google, only 25,000 for Luther's Theses...
Yeah, I wonder if they'd accept "what were God's commandments" on a Mount Sinai clue.
I don't think that would be specific enough because in the Judeo-Christian narrative, there are a number of other instances where God gives commandments.