LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by This Is Kirk! »

gnash wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:34 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:43 am
classicroadster wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:37 am At some point, the Koin becomes a coin right? Right?
Nope! That's why it's a Koin.
How do you spell the one where you agonize trying to decide between Elton John and Billy Joel, only to discover that the answer is Stevie Wonder?
I'm not sure, but it applies to me, too...
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

boson wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:18 pm
Vermonter wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:57 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:30 amI had nothing better than isosceles, which I’d only ever seen in the context of triangles
Math is my strongest category and this was still an educated guess for me — I figured if you extended the non-parallel sides, you'd get an isosceles triangle. Normally I'll stick 3 on any math question I'm unsure about, but I thought it might be one of those Commonwealth terms, so I gave boson the 2 :lol:

Thanks to my mediocre film knowledge, the only possibilities I could come up with for the film question were Astaire/Roberts, Hepburn/Tracy, and Bacall/Bogart. I figured the clue was pointing to a big movie for their ninth and final co-starring, and I remembered something about Hepburn not watching Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? because Tracy had died before it was released. Score another one for ignorance: I thought the first pair had done 20+ films together, but turns out they had only 10.
I've never heard of an isosceles trapezoid either. Though I thought my guess of thrombus sounded pretty cool. I knew it was going to be Hepburn/Tracy but ended up writing Hepburn/Grant because that's how an imperfect brain works.

After yesterday's match, I have to hand in my passport, poutine and hockey cards as I missed the Canadian geography question. I thought Northwest Territories were bigger than Nunavut, but the boundary is further West than I thought. Fortunately, that earned me an undeserved 9(5)-9(6) tie with teapot. I wasn't so lucky in the public rundle though.
NGL, I was a bit surprised to see both of the private rundle's Canadians get the Canada question wrong.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

gnash wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:32 pm
boson wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:18 pm I thought Northwest Territories were bigger than Nunavut, but the boundary is further West than I thought.
Nunavut includes most of the Arctic islands. Since the clue specified it was largest by far, there wasn't any other possibility.
What a helpful post!
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

gnash wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:34 pm
How do you spell the one where you agonize trying to decide between Elton John and Billy Joel, only to discover that the answer is Stevie Wonder?
I would have had no chance on that one except that it came up at my pub quiz a couple of years ago as a final question, and it cost us the game. I always remember the painful ones.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:58 pm

I've never heard of an isosceles trapezoid either. Though I thought my guess of thrombus sounded pretty cool. I knew it was going to be Hepburn/Tracy but ended up writing Hepburn/Grant because that's how an imperfect brain works.

After yesterday's match, I have to hand in my passport, poutine and hockey cards as I missed the Canadian geography question. I thought Northwest Territories were bigger than Nunavut, but the boundary is further West than I thought. Fortunately, that earned me an undeserved 9(5)-9(6) tie with teapot. I wasn't so lucky in the public rundle though.
NGL, I was a bit surprised to see both of the private rundle's Canadians get the Canada question wrong.
If it is any consolation, our 12 year old knew the answer cold. As an immigrant to the true North, I am not too upset with my blunder, and my missed question was assigned 0 points in both my matches. I also got the Wonderpets theme song stuck in my head, leading to a guess of Stevie Wonder, not sure if my subconscious knew that one, or if I just got really lucky. These helped me get two wins.

I am in the strange position of being third in A Magnolia, despite having 44 TCA, the same as Boson, and in the bottom half of the rankings for TCA. Boson was able to figure out that it was due to my offensive efficiency of 0.528- first in the league. PatKav follows with a 0.480, and everyone else falls below that by a lot. So, I will plan to continue with my erratic play that gives my opponents no hope for defensive strategy. Or just hope for the best.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:58 pm NGL, I was a bit surprised to see both of the private rundle's Canadians get the Canada question wrong.
It's a big country. Its gotta lot of geography.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Vermonter wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:57 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:30 amI had nothing better than isosceles, which I’d only ever seen in the context of triangles
Math is my strongest category and this was still an educated guess for me — I figured if you extended the non-parallel sides, you'd get an isosceles triangle. Normally I'll stick 3 on any math question I'm unsure about, but I thought it might be one of those Commonwealth terms, so I gave boson the 2 :lol:

Thanks to my mediocre film knowledge, the only possibilities I could come up with for the film question were Astaire/Roberts, Hepburn/Tracy, and Bacall/Bogart. I figured the clue was pointing to a big movie for their ninth and final co-starring, and I remembered something about Hepburn not watching Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? because Tracy had died before it was released. Score another one for ignorance: I thought the first pair had done 20+ films together, but turns out they had only 10.

why passport? getting rid of the passport does not take away citizenship...you still have your "canada card"...renunciation would be the most fitting...btw ...i see it is considerably cheaper in canada to give up citizenship than it is to renounce united states citizenship..100 bucks compared to 2350...usa just jacked the fees up last year..what a joke
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

gnash wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:12 am I had several lucky guesses this season, and yesterday the piper came to collect.

Peru or Colombia? I thought the border was more straight and, recalling that Ecuador "carves out" more of Peru, I went with that.

99 is someone super-famous, so much so that even I should know him. I think Gretzky and Orr were answers fairly recently, so I'll go with Lemieux.

Misunderstood the Nirvana hint to mean "it's not the name of an element".

But the story has a sour grapes ending - in the proper, original, positive-thinking sense of that phrase. My opponent got everything. There was no way I was getting ramekin. So, if I had to have so many things go wrong in one match, this was a really good time for that to happen.

Does that mean I still owe the piper, though?
I'm really - really - glad I'm not the only one who misread the not the name of an element phrasing. Thanks for owning up. That took me directly away from Lithium. I went with Teen Spirit, thinking maybe it was a channel I hadn't heard of. Umm. Nope.
Pending...
GettysburgPhillyFan
Contributor

Post by GettysburgPhillyFan »

Somehow I’m 5-0-5 and am leading B Elysium. Only given up 2 unforced points on defense despite slightly above average offense.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Mixed up the traditional wedding processional (from Wagner's Lohengrin) and the recessional (from Mendelssohn's A Midsummer Night's Dream). Cost me in the private rundle, but I still got the win in my regular rundle.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

teapot37 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:13 am Mixed up the traditional wedding processional (from Wagner's Lohengrin) and the recessional (from Mendelssohn's A Midsummer Night's Dream). Cost me in the private rundle, but I still got the win in my regular rundle.
i am surprised the wagner question had such a low correct percentage...i got that right and i suck at classical music
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

teapot37 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:13 am Mixed up the traditional wedding processional (from Wagner's Lohengrin) and the recessional (from Mendelssohn's A Midsummer Night's Dream). Cost me in the private rundle, but I still got the win in my regular rundle.
YIL that "Lohengrin" is not the name of a composer :oops: . I was pleased to recall the name and always thought the Lohengrin dude was a one-hit-wonder.

I was real pleased to pull "Phoenician" after getting ready to default to "Assyrian" in spite of Syria being mentioned. Luckily I didn't also think of Sumeria or those darned Etruscans, or I would have had to flip a coin. I obviously didn't know where the alphabet came from, just like I didn't realize the name came from "alpha" and "beta:" until a few weeks ago.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ditto, but it didn't cost me...still would've lost
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

How did 68% get that Gillian Flynn question???
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

alietr wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:40 am How did 68% get that Gillian Flynn question???
Yeah, I will admit that it is not an area that is a strong suit for me, but I had only ever heard of Gone Girl. I do remember the film being a big hit though, so maybe that helped. I guessed Veronica Mars and thought I had a decent shot. I also thought for sure that the composer was Mendelssohn and the ancient civilization was the Hittites, but nope.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:40 am How did 68% get that Gillian Flynn question???
I believe that I posted that factoid in one of my annual pre-test study guides here.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:22 am
I believe that I posted that factoid in one of my annual pre-test study guides here.
She comes up all the time on Jeopardy! and even appeared on one of the online tests a few years ago

For the music question, I got as far as Brian Eno and "Tal"king Heads. MCWA was "Abb"a (lol)

Only 2 right yesterday (thought I had 5!!) but managed to tie on defense.

I've absolutely given up on the private rundle and yes, I'm a sore loser and won't be playing in your sandbox anymore!!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:28 am
Woof wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:22 am
She comes up all the time on Jeopardy! and even appeared on one of the online tests a few years ago

For the music question, I got as far as Brian Eno and "Tal"king Heads. MCWA was "Abb"a (lol)

Only 2 right yesterday (thought I had 5!!) but managed to tie on defense.

I've absolutely given up on the private rundle and yes, I'm a sore loser and won't be playing in your sandbox anymore!!
That Private Rundle is a tough place to hang out with a bunch of A Rundlers beating up on each other. For that music question, my thought process went "Brian and Bryan? Eno and Ferry of Roxy Music. Swedish duo? Must be Roxette. Early '80s single by a trio? Must be Roxanne by the Police." No way I would have got it, though, if it weren't for the first part of the question, which was a no-brainer for me.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I have no doubt that it would have played harder without the Bry/ians and Roxy Music.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:40 am That Private Rundle is a tough place to hang out with a bunch of A Rundlers beating up on each other. For that music question, my thought process went "Brian and Bryan? Eno and Ferry of Roxy Music. Swedish duo? Must be Roxette. Early '80s single by a trio? Must be Roxanne by the Police." No way I would have got it, though, if it weren't for the first part of the question, which was a no-brainer for me.
It demonstrates my long-standing center of gravity with respect to pop music that one Bryan alone (Ferry) drew me immediately to Roxy Music. Then "rox" was a quick leap to "Roxanne." The Police album Outlandos d'Amour containing "Roxanne" was the first CD that I ever bought, which imprinted it into my long-term memory, and remains one of my favorites.

Questions like that generally result in an easy "3", as pop music is by far my worst LL category overall.