The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by teapot37 »

Any reason I should know that German salad is made from potatoes?

0/5 in Women of Science. I saw no way to figure out "engineering" in the first box.

What was the TOM for "Naples" in the top box? I "went with the obvious" and figured top-box Italy had to be Rome, right? Why was it wrong? What was even the TOM? I was -1/5 there.
While some potato salad is made using mayonnaise, German potato salad is vinegar-based. (I also knew "kartoffel" is the German word for potato.)

STEM = science, technology, engineering, and math. I am quite sure this is not the first time this has come up.

The Greek name for the city was Neapolis. If you can't see how they got from "Neapolis" to "Naples", I don't know what to tell you.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:50 pmWhile some potato salad is made using mayonnaise, German potato salad is vinegar-based. (I also knew "kartoffel" is the German word for potato.)
I have literally never had potato salad of any kind, so I have no idea what's in it other than maybe potatoes.
teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:50 pmSTEM = science, technology, engineering, and math. I am quite sure this is not the first time this has come up.
I thought they were going for "Stem" as in "stem cells" and I was like "huh, that stands for something?" STEM = science etc. is utterly new to me.
teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:50 pmThe Greek name for the city was Neapolis. If you can't see how they got from "Neapolis" to "Naples", I don't know what to tell you.
I just figured that a $200 box unquestionably HAD to be Rome, because why would it ever be anything else? And you guys are always telling me "go for the obvious in the first box". But nooooooooo, they had to throw me for a loop. NOW DO YOU SEE WHY I HATE GUESSING?!?!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:11 am
teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:50 pmWhile some potato salad is made using mayonnaise, German potato salad is vinegar-based. (I also knew "kartoffel" is the German word for potato.)
I have literally never had potato salad of any kind, so I have no idea what's in it other than maybe potatoes.
teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:50 pmSTEM = science, technology, engineering, and math. I am quite sure this is not the first time this has come up.
I thought they were going for "Stem" as in "stem cells" and I was like "huh, that stands for something?" STEM = science etc. is utterly new to me.
teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:50 pmThe Greek name for the city was Neapolis. If you can't see how they got from "Neapolis" to "Naples", I don't know what to tell you.
I just figured that a $200 box unquestionably HAD to be Rome, because why would it ever be anything else? And you guys are always telling me "go for the obvious in the first box". But nooooooooo, they had to throw me for a loop. NOW DO YOU SEE WHY I HATE GUESSING?!?!
but the obvious in this case was naples...neapolis is staring you down...how one can't make the connection from neapolis is beyond me
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:21 am but the obvious in this case was naples...neapolis is staring you down...how one can't make the connection from neapolis is beyond me
"Neapolis" was just background noise to me. I figured "oh hey, Italian city in the top box, that literally can't be anything other than Rome."

It seems like EVERY SINGLE TIME I "go for the obvious" it turns out you want the next-most obvious. Or the 10th most obvious.

Every time you tell me to focus on just the key words, I whiff on a clue because I MISSED a keyword somehow.

Why can't I ever get this balance right?!
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:50 pm
The Greek name for the city was Neapolis. If you can't see how they got from "Neapolis" to "Naples", I don't know what to tell you.
You know how TPH hates "sounds-like" or "looks-like" hints. It could have been ANY Italian city.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:21 pm
teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:50 pm
You know how TPH hates "sounds-like" or "looks-like" hints. It could have been ANY Italian city.
Or I just tuned out "Neapolis" as background noise again.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm NHO Greta Thunberg, nor do I see why I should. That seemed horribly out of place in the top box.
Do you even read this forum? I'm starting to take this personally! I mean, I can accept "couldn't recall" (happens to me, even on stuff I post!) but NHO?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5002&p=315632#p315632
Volante wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:09 pm Name to know: Greta Thunberg, 16 year old climate change activist from Sweden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Thunberg
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:32 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm NHO Greta Thunberg, nor do I see why I should. That seemed horribly out of place in the top box.
Do you even read this forum? I'm starting to take this personally! I mean, I can accept "couldn't recall" (happens to me, even on stuff I post!) but NHO?

Volante wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:09 pm Name to know: Greta Thunberg, 16 year old climate change activist from Sweden
I've never touched that thread. I've always hated kids who get famous for doing something that an adult could just as easily do, but get disproportionately high amounts of attention simply by being a kid.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:37 pm

I've never touched that thread. I've always hated kids who get famous for doing something that an adult could just as easily do, but get disproportionately high amounts of attention simply by being a kid.
Oh you -really- haven't paid attention to the climate fight then. The reason a kid is famous is because the adults haven't done anything in the first place. (And if the adults had, said kid wouldn't need to be famous because she'd be off being a damn kid rather than having to worry about the world we're leaving her.)

Also, can't help you if you don't pull your head out of the sand. The Current Events thread is the bare minimum you could do to cut down on NHOs.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:54 pm Oh you -really- haven't paid attention to the climate fight then. The reason a kid is famous is because the adults haven't done anything in the first place. (And if the adults had, said kid wouldn't need to be famous because she'd be off being a damn kid rather than having to worry about the world we're leaving her.)
It's still a kid getting 15 minutes of fame just for doing sonething unusual for a kid.

I could read when I was 2, and graduated high school when I was only 15. Why wasn't I getting news articles everywhere about my unusual achievements?!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:37 pm

i see you have channeled your inner walter kowalski at such an early age...such a "get off my lawn"esque thought from you, dude
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:15 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:54 pm Oh you -really- haven't paid attention to the climate fight then. The reason a kid is famous is because the adults haven't done anything in the first place. (And if the adults had, said kid wouldn't need to be famous because she'd be off being a damn kid rather than having to worry about the world we're leaving her.)
It's still a kid getting 15 minutes of fame just for doing sonething unusual for a kid.

I could read when I was 2, and graduated high school when I was only 15. Why wasn't I getting news articles everywhere about my unusual achievements?!
wow dude...you are hardcore...it wasn't until i was 20 years old that i graduated from high school...though i did take 2 years off because i was bored, but then decided to go back because, well, i got bored again
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Maybe you did and you just don't remember.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Maybe you did and you just don't remember.
It could have been in a newspaper article literally anywhere!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

You're pretty wrong about this. Did/do you feel the same way about Malala Yousafzai?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:31 pm
You're pretty wrong about this. Did/do you feel the same way about Malala Yousafzai?
not sure why you asked him that...pretty much a given that malala will get a NHO from him
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:11 pm
not sure why you asked him that...pretty much a given that malala will get a NHO from him
Well, she has come up in seven regular clues and an FJ already, so I'm hoping he has.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:16 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:11 pm
Well, she has come up in seven regular clues and an FJ already, so I'm hoping he has.
even with that resume for her on the show, it is the hammer dude we are talking about
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:31 pm You're pretty wrong about this. Did/do you feel the same way about Malala Yousafzai?
Had to look her up. I still think they wouldn't even have given her the time of day if she weren't a kid. That's the impression I get literally every single time a kid does something noteworthy. They just get 15 minutes of fame for doing something lots of other people have done BUT IT'S SO MUCH MORE AWESOME BECAUSE THEY'RE JUST A KID AMIRITE?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:30 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:31 pm You're pretty wrong about this. Did/do you feel the same way about Malala Yousafzai?
Had to look her up. I still think they wouldn't even have given her the time of day if she weren't a kid. That's the impression I get literally every single time a kid does something noteworthy. They just get 15 minutes of fame for doing something lots of other people have done BUT IT'S SO MUCH MORE AWESOME BECAUSE THEY'RE JUST A KID AMIRITE?
The Taliban were impressed enough by her to shoot her in the head.