Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:08 pm
DD3 seemed problematic to me with "worm" pointing toward "dragon" but "Cheops" pointing toward something more explicitly Egyptian. I thought about the correct response ("mummy") but it seemed odd to refer to a mummy as a "creature". I assume the mummy becomes animate and causes trouble, which makes it a creature. But in situ, mummies are just things. So I totally get Alex's guess of "sphinx". I considered it, as well as mummy, before going with dragon.

If anyone wants to make a Fourth Podium Poll for this game, I'd love to take it. This just isn't a week where I can do that. (Especially since there would be SO MANY clues to include.) There were also a couple of games last week where I would have made one of those polls if I'd had time. I'm pretty confident this one could have been won easily from the fourth podium. The only question is whether it could have been one from that position by someone who missed FJ. I'm guessing yes.
DD3 had me at a loss also; I never would have gotten to mummy in time. Cheops + "worm" got me to "nasty Egyptian worm-like creature" and left me floundering with "asp." But I couldn't imagine that being the topic of a novel.

I can't do it either, but I agree a 4th podium poll would be interesting. I didn't keep track and don't have the inclination to go back and do the research, but it just "feels" like not only would the 4th podium have been in the lead, a crush might even have been there for the taking. It was one of those games where I spent a lot of time wishing I were playing for real. Okay, there are very few times when I'm glad I'm not playing, but this one I REALLY wanted to be back on stage for.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:08 pmI too am curious whether Mohammed would have received credit if he'd finished writing "complaints". ... My ruling would be yes.
Concur, FWIW.

And actually, I would have given it to him because "compl." is a well-known abbreviation for "complaint". (Google it.) In the past TPTB have allowed incomplete responses to count on the basis that what was written was a viable abbreviation.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:31 pm
DD3 had me at a loss also; I never would have gotten to mummy in time. Cheops + "worm" got me to "nasty Egyptian worm-like creature" and left me floundering with "asp." But I couldn't imagine that being the topic of a novel.
But I can imagine the film version: Snakes in a Pyramid.
OCSam
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OrangeSAM wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:43 pm
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:29 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:19 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:08 pm I was NOT surprised by the reversal on "light opera". As soon as Alex gave her response, I knew she was right. I went with their expected "operetta" myself. But "light opera" was immediately obvious as a correct alternative.
Alex really needs to be more careful with his category announcements when the category name has quotes in it. It was clear they were looking for words that begin with "Op" since every correct answer in the category started with Op. If he had said "starts with" (instead of his usual "We know what that means"), that would have eliminated the ambiguity of her incorrect answer. The mistake was Alex's.
Yep. The quotation marks can mean "starts with", "contains", or even "ends with". We definitely DON'T know what it means until they tell us.
IMO, in any category that doesn't involve a simple clue/response, they should give the rule, along with a really ridiculously trivial sample, to the contestants in a pre-game briefing. I mean, I guess they'd have to remember it for up to an hour or so if it appears in DJ! and the briefing doesn't take place RIGHT before the game, but the category name should at least jog their memory as to what the briefing was about.

In this game, the briefing would just need to clarify one category - namely, SPECIAL "OP"s:

In this category, all correct responses will be a single word beginning with the letters "Op". For example:

CLUE: A surgeon performs these.
RESPONSE: What are operations?

Although, I have to admit, I think part of the "challenge" of J! can be figuring out the category. For example, "The old west" from last week, appearing in J! (Western US in the 1800s) and DJ! (generally all the clues have "west" and are about the historical past). Giving the contestants a briefing may take some of the "fun" out of the game. But if you're going to specifically disallow a response because it doesn't fit the category, you have to make the category clear.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

On the first DD, would they have accepted just "Rockefeller?" If they needed to BMS, would "John D" without the "Jr" have sufficed?

Would they have accepted "Zosa" for "Xhosa?" I would've gotten it for sure if it were an FJ, but pronouncing it is another matter.
davey

Post by davey »

thenextofken wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:46 pm On the first DD, would they have accepted just "Rockefeller?" If they needed to BMS, would "John D" without the "Jr" have sufficed?

Would they have accepted "Zosa" for "Xhosa?" I would've gotten it for sure if it were an FJ, but pronouncing it is another matter.
You definitely didn't need Jr. since it was in the clue...They might have BMSed on Rockefeller, though…
I pronounced Xhosa that way. It seems a reasonable approximation to me.

I would guess that the "light opera" kerfuffle was because of tunnel vision, nobody thought in advance of that alternate answer. It would be nice if somebody jumped in quicker to accept...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

thenextofken wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:46 pm Would they have accepted "Zosa" for "Xhosa?" I would've gotten it for sure if it were an FJ, but pronouncing it is another matter.
Considering that the first sound in the word is supposed to be a click and that I don't think the writers expect that of the contestants, I can't imagine they'd neg any word that rhymed with "Rosa" and had a sound involving any selection from K, S, Z, and H at the beginning.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

thenextofken wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:46 pm Would they have accepted "Zosa" for "Xhosa?"
Yes. They were also prepared to accept "Led Zeppelin IV".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:35 pm
thenextofken wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:46 pm Would they have accepted "Zosa" for "Xhosa?" I would've gotten it for sure if it were an FJ, but pronouncing it is another matter.
Considering that the first sound in the word is supposed to be a click and that I don't think the writers expect that of the contestants, I can't imagine they'd neg any word that rhymed with "Rosa" and had a sound involving any selection from K, S, Z, and H at the beginning.
My plan was two attempts at pronunciation and then quickly go 'x-h-o-s-a'?

Has anyone spelt the response outside of times when the category dictates you spell it?...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mujason

Post by mujason »

Volante wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:02 pm
Has anyone spelt the response outside of times when the category dictates you spell it?...
I seem to recall a contestant once spelled the city of Brno.
-Jason
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mujason wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:23 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:02 pm
I seem to recall a contestant once spelled the city of Brno.
I got curious and found it with ease. A "B" CITY, $500. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=217
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:58 pm
OrangeSAM wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:43 pm
Ditto with the like. I presume the film would star Ramses L. Jackson.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 35,400
41 R/4 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (raptors), John D. Rockefeller, Jr. (DD), hitting the silk, Car Talk, (operetta), metronome, Doc Holliday, Oahu, (Greta Thunberg), Teutonic Knights, Krist Novoselic, Missy Elliott, fencing, precinct, Worst-Case Scenario

I looked it up and, sadly, it appears Emily Litella never went on a rant about the 95 Feces.
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:13 pm
thenextofken wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:46 pm Would they have accepted "Zosa" for "Xhosa?"
Yes. They were also prepared to accept "Led Zeppelin IV".
See, this is the content I come to this website for. Well played, good bird.
Sprinkles are for winners.