Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by econgator »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:11 pm I didn't want to keep using 7 after updates for Security Essentials ended. So far, the change to 10 has been pretty painless with a very few easily fixable adjustments needed.
My upgrade was pretty painless, too. Like you said, 7 is a bit quicker than 10, but the difference is tolerable. I've never been a fan of their Start menu, though, so I picked up a program that basically changed it back to the Win 7 menu.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:16 pm
clprez wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:28 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:58 pm
Woppy T wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:53 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:28 pm I hate that I can no longer program my own computer, and haven't been able to for at least 25 years. Maybe one of you can help me. I want to write a simple program on my Windows 7 PC
Whatever it is you are doing, better do it fast.
What, does my computer turn into a pumpkin at midnight on the first day they stop supporting Windows 7?
Just thought I'd chime in and let you know that I saw an article on CNet that tells you how to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Here's a link

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-to- ... 0141523420
Grrrr.... I hate Windows 10. But I may decide that's the best course, so thank you.
I wouldn't upgrade. Your computer was built for 7, 10 may need too many resources among other issues. The only time I've ever upgraded was from 8 to 10, and only because there seemed to be little choice. Lucky I bought something with extra power when I got it and my computer has been able to handle it, but I do have some weird issues now and again that I never had before the upgrade.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:42 am Stroopwafels!
I bought two bags of those to bring back with me from my vacation. They're long gone, of course. :)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:42 am Stroopwafels!
Our local Trader Joe's has a seasonal display of Stroopwafels that practically slaps you in the face as you enter the store.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Brandon Blackwell's University Challenge Round 2 episode. Today, he wore a shirt with a picture of Alex Trebek to honor and support him through his diagnosis of pancreatic cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGKWiC6lVQU
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Vanna hosting Wheel was so strange to watch. And to listen to as well. What I learned during the bonus round: A woman is able to walk from the bonus wheel to the puzzle solving spot without holding the host's hand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Tonight's episode of Catch 21 did not start off strong.

"The family name of the sisters in "Little Women" is the same as which month?"

The first woman said September.
The second woman said January.
The third woman said "I'm gonna go with March" with very little confidence.

Christmas won't be Christmas with these women. ;)

There was also a minor blunder in one of the questions.

"What men's dress shoe shares its name with a famous English University founded in the 1100's?"

Oxford was founded in 1096. They probably meant to put down 11th century.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:24 am Vanna hosting Wheel was so strange to watch. And to listen to as well. What I learned during the bonus round: A woman is able to walk from the bonus wheel to the puzzle solving spot without holding the host's hand.
Pat probably does it to get people to stand on their mark so there won't be time of getting the player to go where they are supposed to, or stoppage/editing needed for that to happen.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:35 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:24 am Vanna hosting Wheel was so strange to watch. And to listen to as well. What I learned during the bonus round: A woman is able to walk from the bonus wheel to the puzzle solving spot without holding the host's hand.
Pat probably does it to get people to stand on their mark so there won't be time of getting the player to go where they are supposed to, or stoppage/editing needed for that to happen.
Only for women, though?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:36 am
Only for women, though?
exactly what i was going to say
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:00 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:36 am
Only for women, though?
exactly what i was going to say
I really shouldn't try and read first thing in the morning... :(

Now wondering if Vanna will hold a man's hand
davey

Post by davey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:13 am

There was also a minor blunder in one of the questions.

"What men's dress shoe shares its name with a famous English University founded in the 1100's?"

Oxford was founded in 1096. They probably meant to put down 11th century.
It's just possible they meant to put down 1100s...
No matter how hard you look, there’s no official date for when Oxford University was founded, although records show that teaching (in one form or another) existed at Oxford in 1096. It was during the 12th century that the University really began to grow; well-respected teachers began to lecture there and students came to live and study in Oxford. In 1167 Henry II banned English students from attending the University of Paris, which led to Oxford University numbers rising rapidly.
https://theculturetrip.com/europe/unite ... niversity/

Introduction and history
As the oldest university in the English-speaking world, Oxford is a unique and historic institution. There is no clear date of foundation, but teaching existed at Oxford in some form in 1096 and developed rapidly from 1167, when Henry II banned English students from attending the University of Paris.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/about/organisation/history?wssl=1

The Oxford Companion to British History (2 ed.)
Edited by Robert Crowcroft and John Cannon

Oxford University.
When the quarrel between Henry II and Philip Augustus in 1167 made it impossible for English students to attend the University of Paris, the opportunity for developing a similar institution arose at Oxford.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I am asking -- nay, pleading -- that our favorite avian resident not participate.

Penguin Nude Beach.png
Penguin Nude Beach.png (180.75 KiB) Viewed 4964 times
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:27 am I am asking -- nay, pleading -- that our favorite avian resident not participate.

Penguin Nude Beach.png
too late...he's third from the left
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

The "clothing" doesn't look to be covering any important bits anyway.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:36 am The "clothing" doesn't look to be covering any important bits anyway.
depends on what bits you rank as "important"
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Looks like the Oscar for How Green Was My Valley is going up for auction...
https://profilesinhistory.com/wp-conten ... ywoodS.pdf
Lot 562
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:35 pm Looks like the Oscar for How Green Was My Valley is going up for auction...
Lot 562
I thought you couldn't own Oscars? I thought I remember that they still belong to the Academy?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:51 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:35 pm Looks like the Oscar for How Green Was My Valley is going up for auction...
Lot 562
I thought you couldn't own Oscars? I thought I remember that they still belong to the Academy?
The rule that you first have to offer AMPAS the chance to buy it for $1 was introduced in 1950. Anything prior is fair game.
(They may be vicious legal vipers, but they're not stupid. Ex post facto and all that.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)