for Survivor talk

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JayK33
Just a Fan

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by JayK33 »

Not a fan of juries starting when there are 13 or more players still left in the game. Is today the first season, excluding EoE, where 14th place became the first juror?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

This week's episode had the first ever instance where
Spoiler
a contestant was kicked out of the game by production.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor: ... ontroversy
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

So lemme see if I have this right (I stopped watching Survivor a decade ago):

Woman ("and several others") complains about inappropriate touching; accused stays in the game.

Woman complains weeks (or however long 8 episodes takes) later that the touching is still happening; accused stays in the game and some of the other female contestants backstab the accuser and vote her out.

Producers then decide "actually nevermind, he's been removed. But not for anything involving another contestant, nosiree!"

Am I misreading this? Was it not as bad as it seems reading about it after the fact?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:45 pm So lemme see if I have this right (I stopped watching Survivor a decade ago):

Woman ("and several others") complains about inappropriate touching; accused stays in the game.

Woman complains weeks (or however long 8 episodes takes) later that the touching is still happening; accused stays in the game and some of the other female contestants backstab the accuser and vote her out.

Producers then decide "actually nevermind, he's been removed. But not for anything involving another contestant, nosiree!"

Am I misreading this? Was it not as bad as it seems reading about it after the fact?
Dan's behavior was bad on and off camera. Complaints, warning, expulsion. It stretched from day 1 through day 36 when players were told Dan was out. Network, production, Probst, lawyers, etc. all had to figure out what to do. No one was going to be happy no matter what was done or not done.

Viewers saw what CBS decided to show. Creepy, unwanted touching is there without question. What was unusual was hearing production staff during a contestant interview and an on-screen graphic about the situation being monitored and another one about an official warning being given. Dan being removed was done at the end of the next to last episode with Jeff showing up at the campsite to give the announcement followed by the onscreen graphic.

Lately the reunion has been about 40 minutes with the first 2hrs 15-20 min getting to the winner. Perhaps CBS should allow a little more time to get to the hot topics. They are already taping the last part instead of airing it live as has happened in the past.

The bottom line is the show is going to take a ratings hit. First because of a double whammy of The Masked Singer finale on Fox and live All in the Family and Good Times episodes on ABC. That's tough competition. Even more is this season will cause some viewers to no longer watch whether dissatisfaction with the handling of the Dan situation or the season itself with no strong rooting interest for the winner.

The next season typically airs in February and it could be memories are short and by then everyone will have erased the bad taste of this season and be ready to watch a new season.

I have faith in Jeff Probst being the one to bring a proper close to the season in dealing with all of the issues that arose (Dan was not the only thing) during the episodes.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

"It looked like a hole." :lol:

That's pretty bad when you need help getting your torch set in place before TC even starts. The non-verbal gesture by Probst to have the assist given was great.

ETA: Added "like" that I omitted.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I’m not a fan of Blob but it was funny to see him control those people like they’re newbies. And Danni looked foolish with her paranoia getting her booted.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Even in S42 the show still delivers. Well done with the casting this season.
brick

Post by brick »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:19 pm Even in S42 the show still delivers. Well done with the casting this season.
Totally agree. I do think they are holding out on us sometimes in the editing. I get not wanting to spoil tribal council by showing us every conversation between various allies, but when someone votes counter to every conversation we have seen them had, and that never gets illuminated, it's a little frustrating.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

A very good interview with Drea that explains what the show leaves out: https://ew.com/tv/survivor-42-drea-wheeler-interview/
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

11/30 immunity challenge :o
MarkBarrett