Wednesday, December 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cthulhu »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:19 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:40 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:21 pm Naming Hanford would have been a vicious clue
I'd guess that would poll under 5%.
Yes, it isn't worth a poll spot. The Hanford mention might even have increased this clue difficulty as most people haven't heard of it. I think asking for Los Alamos would have been a better clue. The only negbait is Sandia and Alamogordo (Trinity test site), so maybe it would play too easy?
The Trinity test was conducted on the grounds of the Alamogordo Bombing and Gunnery Range, which has been part of White Sands Missile Range for at least 50 years. It’s not part of the city of Alamogordo.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:34 pm Which brings up a question. Is it better to attempt the foreign pronunciation and slightly miss on that, or to completely give up and go with some horrible Americanized pronunciation?
I say go for it! Do you really want to provoke the scorn of Alex?!

Remember when he ruled against Arthur Chu for saying Frances McDarmand (instead of McDormand?)

Remember the woman who pronounced (A.A.) Milne like the end of "money".

There was a player who mangled veterinarian and Alex felt sorry for him
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:17 pmI say go for it! Do you really want to provoke the scorn of Alex?!
As long as I'm ruled correct, I don't care about the scorn of Alex. ;)
--Peter
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 41,000
47 R/0 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: guard, business, Jacksonville, muslin, Schrapnel (DD)

It's too bad Doug couldn't stick around longer. He has a great voice. Jennifer is just a buzzsaw, continuing to mow opponents down despite playing a conventional game and wagering very conservatively on DDs.

FJ! was one I probably would have gotten as a LL question, but I couldn't pull it under a time crunch. And now "Elvira" is stuck in my head. Giddy up, a oom-papa...

Does anyone else find it funny that "the Shah" is always accepted without further clarification to mean Reza Pahlavi?
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:46 am Does anyone else find it funny that "the Shah" is always accepted without further clarification to mean Reza Pahlavi?
It is weird. It's not like "the Queen of England" would ever fly.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:19 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:46 am Does anyone else find it funny that "the Shah" is always accepted without further clarification to mean Reza Pahlavi?
It is weird. It's not like "the Queen of England" would ever fly.
In principle, I could agree, BUT by the 70s he was so widely known as "The Shah" that there's no ambiguity. The Wikipedia article (yes, lazy research) states
Due to his status as the last Shah of Iran, he is often known as simply "The Shah"
And, I'd have to put "Reza Pahlavi" as a NHO, but that's admittedly on me. But if you ask people in North America "Who is the leader who had to flee Iran in 1979?", I bet of the people who give a correct answer, 99% would say "The Shah", and 1% would give the name. At the "worst", it's a BMS situation, but even that seems unnecessarily picky.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:31 pm But if you ask people in North America "Who is the leader who had to flee Iran in 1979?", I bet of the people who give a correct answer, 99% would say "The Shah", and 1% would give the name. At the "worst", it's a BMS situation, but even that seems unnecessarily picky.
Yes, I get all that, but it's still weird that he was known as just "The Shah." I guess he was the only Shah in town so there was no ambiguity.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:17 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:34 pm Which brings up a question. Is it better to attempt the foreign pronunciation and slightly miss on that, or to completely give up and go with some horrible Americanized pronunciation?
I say go for it! Do you really want to provoke the scorn of Alex?!

Remember when he ruled against Arthur Chu for saying Frances McDarmand (instead of McDormand?)

Remember the woman who pronounced (A.A.) Milne like the end of "money".

There was a player who mangled veterinarian and Alex felt sorry for him

trebek has no room to talk...dude butchered gangnam style a couple of times