Thursday, December 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Thursday, December 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:34 pm Why is it that celebrity read clues need to have like twice the words of normal clues? I guess when they get someone like Jeff Goldblum they feel like they need to get their money's worth or something. The strangest thing about Goldblum wasn't that he read the clues slowly, but just the odd cadence of his reading. He put in lots of strange pauses. It seemed like he was trying a little too hard to be quirky.
That's his normal cadence. Like how people thought Austin Rogers was playing up the ham, but no, he just is that exuberant.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:52 am the people that couldn't come with the correct response to the final jeopardy clue, must not play a lot of bar trivia...i have seen a question similar to that at least one bar every holiday season over the past 10 years...pretty general usa holiday trivia nugget imo
I agree 100%. This bit of trivia gets repeated in many places, online and off, every steenking year. I Instagot this one, and I am one who normally avoids holiday trivia games and rounds like the Plague.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:23 pm
Can't disagree. I thought "Montgomery Ward book" + Christmas = Christmas catalog = what kids ask for, that + novelty song = ??? All that nonsense lead me to be WAY wrong with "All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth."
This was the song I kept trying to fit into the "dolly for little nell" verse and decided to bail out. I was trying to think of songs with lists that would promote store products. A couple of other candidates with that criteria:

Twelve Days of Christmas - not sure kids are interested in Lords a Leapin'

Santa Baby - Yeah, this one is for the Daddies :). This has been my new favorite song ever since I heard the Eartha Kitt version. And the guitar/piano chords are an awesome progression, with a turnaround and then the mediant (at least the easy version). Does Monkey Ward sell Platinum mines?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Leander wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:42 am I thought at the time the BMS on “British Flag” was getting at the fact that the clue referenced the addition of the St. Patrick cross, representing (these days) Northern Ireland, which is not part of Great Britain but is part of the United Kingdom. I would have responded with UK flag to the BMS.
⬆️ This. It is the flag of the United Kingdom, including Northern Ireland, which means GB is automatically wrong. Union Jack is correct but I'd assume they would have accepted UK flag.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

On FB I received a message that Kelly Gerhold's mom Wendy appeared on Scrabble around March 1989 and Classic Concentration in April 1990 to then return in November 1990 for that show's ToC.
davey

Post by davey »

Snopes.com weighed in on the jimmies/sprinkles thing-
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jimmies-etymology/
'Jimmies" sounds vaguely familiar, but I've never used it. I guess the FJ story may be one I've heard, too (or it could be, as someone noted, that it has such a strong narrative). In any case, it seemed almost obvious to me...
I've often enjoyed Jeff Goldblum, but those clues demonstrated Goldbluminess out of control...Not a big draw to Disney+, that's for sure...
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 45,600
52 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: cotija, Fenway Park, snow plow, Bob Kraft

I super-hate this FJ! I went with "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town," then realized right at the end of the Think Music that it was going to be "Rudolph." A no-TOM, pure trivia nugget is fine for the bottom row, but FJ! is supposed to have some inroad apart from pure knowledge.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:57 am Me, I've NHO that coach in the top box and don't see why anyone would know him.
He's the most successful coach in NFL history. Your not knowing a figure from pop culture is...not a good barometer of how famous that person is.
CailinGaoilge wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:03 pm
Leander wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:42 am I thought at the time the BMS on “British Flag” was getting at the fact that the clue referenced the addition of the St. Patrick cross, representing (these days) Northern Ireland, which is not part of Great Britain but is part of the United Kingdom. I would have responded with UK flag to the BMS.
⬆️ This. It is the flag of the United Kingdom, including Northern Ireland, which means GB is automatically wrong. Union Jack is correct but I'd assume they would have accepted UK flag.
I doubt this was the issue. In the US, the terms "Great Britain" and "United Kingdom" are synonymous.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:17 amOMG, that Fenway clue! Fortunately my TV is too nice to throw objects at it.
I was pounding myself on that one. I absolutely know where the Red Sox play. But I couldn't pull it up. I had to pause the show after the first wrong response to try to give myself time to get it, and it simply wouldn't pop out. That's the most frustrating feeling.
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

SBurrus wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:35 amI hate categories like the Jeff Goldblum category. He was so slow reading the clues...really slowed down the game.
The first clue he read was painful. And it went down hill from there. Not only is he slow at reading the clues, the writers gave him incredibly long and drawn out clues to read.

His slow reading of long clues and the fact that they let the players finish the board makes me wonder. Did they deliberately make the clues slow to throw off the timing of the players? When I'm playing at home, I feel a rhythm to the game that helps me with my imaginary buzzer timing. I suspect I'm not alone there. While the Goldblum category was particularly egregious here, those kinds of categories come up fairly regularly.

That might lead to a bit of strategy for someone who can work through that timing. Rather than play that whole category at once, jump in and out of it to use it against the other players. Throw their timing off to improve your odds of winning the buzzer race.
--Peter
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

I've heard the Belichick nickname as "Darth Hoodie", but that may be more due to my locality (right near Met Life Stadium, home of the Jets and Giants. :p)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Goldblum’s clues were all taped in advance, so this was really really bad. Where was the producer / director that day?? I like quirky, but come on.

I’m horrible at sports but even I got Fenway Park

Worst FJ of the season, right at the bottom with Goliath of Gath

Let’s talk about the second place wager

Scores were $16,100, $5,800, $13,800

If 2nd wants to stay above 3rd, she bets a buck less than $2,200. If she gets it right, she doesn’t get above 1st place on a zero wager by the leader. So what is the optimal play?

She bet $10,000, got it wrong and dropped to $3,800. 3rd got it right and finished in 2nd