LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by cmp146 »

RandyG wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:56 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:23 pm
StevenH wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:51 pm I just wasn't sure if it's as good as whatever other candidates there are.
Generally speaking, anything we come up with is significantly better than what actually gets nominated.
Well, Anything ±3σ
I am still basking in the glory of my third place finish in LL68:
A current best-selling advice/how-to book by Japanese organizing consultant Marie Kondo guides readers step by step through her KonMari method, detailing—as the title states—the "life-changing magic of" what?
ANSWER:
Spoiler
NOT GIVING A F*** (but I was less lady-like in my submission, although it was shortly after the David Mamet question https://learnedleague.com/question.php?62&18&4, and there is a similarly titled self help book...https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/282 ... ing-a-f-ck)
In other news, I have successfully slid back down to the center of A Magnolia, my string of magical luck is back to meh.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

"Deviled ham" might have had the largest league-wide spread between defense and get rate I've ever seen. I got suckered into Spam as well.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:06 am "Deviled ham" might have had the largest league-wide spread between defense and get rate I've ever seen. I got suckered into Spam as well.
When your opponent has an .800 food score, you don't take the chance...that said, that's probably why -I- got a one for it. But Spam isn't a paste and it's not older than, say, Hydrox.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

LL83 Match Day 21 Q2 - Close but no Zapatas!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I got three for the deviled ham in coasting to a 5(4)-1(2) victory.

No Spam from me: search.php?keywords=deviled+ham

My opponent was assigned 2 for missing it as his Pop Music next to last got the 3.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Deviled Ham was a lot for me to think about. I tried various ways to come up with it.

Started thinking about old trademarks, knew it had to be from the 1800s, and that eliminated the negbait of Spam. Plus Spam isn't in a round container and it isn't a spread.

Then began thinking of different food makers around since then, like Heinz, but couldn't come up with a product.

Just as I was thinking it was probably a regional thing I never heard of, I started thinking about ham products.

At this point, deviled ham came to mind, but I had no idea about it other than the devil logo. I had nothing else to go on other than that and I knew it comes in a tin, so I went with it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I never even thought about people falling down the Spam trap on Q1. I'm pretty confident I've never eaten Deviled Ham, but I knew it right away because the logo has always been memorable to me. It didn't do me any good, however, since my opponent scored a six-pack.

I never even considered Terminator for the movie question. Oops! :D
Volante

Post by Volante »

4 games left, 4 loss buffer. I'm stayin in The Show!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I went 5/6, missing the question about Markhov. I used to love Rem back then but I had no sympathy for the deviled ham yet I’ve always been aware of it. I saw that awful Terminator: Dark Fate. I’ve tried to put it out of my mind...
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I was surprised by the get rate on Markov: math is often one of the hardest categories, and Markov Chains are hardly high-school math. 35% is pretty high, considering!

Where did the non-mathy people hear about Markov Chains?

(No hope for me yesterday as I gave up a 9(5)... Assumed it was Spam, defended as if it was Spam. Didn't know Zapatistas anyhow. Sigh.)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

boson wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:33 pm I was surprised by the get rate on Markov: math is often one of the hardest categories, and Markov Chains are hardly high-school math. 35% is pretty high, considering!

(No hope for me yesterday as I gave up a 9(5)... Assumed it was Spam, defended as if it was Spam. Didn't know Zapatistas anyhow. Sigh.)
Markov chains find application in bioinformatics and some other data-heavy fields, so that might broaden the exposure. 35% still seems high, but maybe LL skews tech-heavy?
Volante

Post by Volante »

boson wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:33 pm I was surprised by the get rate on Markov: math is often one of the hardest categories, and Markov Chains are hardly high-school math. 35% is pretty high, considering!

I literally have no idea; there's no "Markov chain" in an IMDb quote to help me narrow it down either. Best I can say is I heard it before, not seen/read. (I spelled it Markhov...)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm fairly mathy and I don't ever recall hearing about him. My opponent who was .300 in Math had. Thankfully, even though my Art stinks, I know the Marat painting (and I'm surprised that didn't poll a bit higher than 37%).
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I was surprised by the low get rate on Marat at first, but looking back on it I think that the question not mentioning Corday or a bathtub probably made it a little bit harder than I thought it was at the time that I submitted.

I attended UGA and have a pretty dismal pop music score, so it was nice to have the home field advantage on the R.E.M. question.

I mentioned this on the LL message board, but I received credit for "devil's ham."

Markov chain was one of those things I heard somewhere--probably from quiz bowl, and maybe (less likely) from one of the two statistics classes that I took in college. And I almost confused it with Markovnikov (which is chemistry)!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This one completely ambushed me; I'll be looking it up on numberphile. I like to surf these brain candy things like the Riemann Hypothesis and Mandelbrot sets and have never seen this come up.

I thought the Spam trap would catch a few, but 58% MCWA to a 26% get rate! Wow!
I kind of wonder if "Red Devil" would have been acceptable. I vaguely recall it being used synonymous to "Deviled Ham", and also "Potted Meat". Great question and informative little trivia nugget in the clue. I can sure see it being tough for the post-boomers, being somewhat anachronistic with all the microwave ready instant foods.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Markov chains (or at least some modification of them) are used by lots of people in finance-related fields, and I've heard that some gamblers use them as well. I'm sure that James has lots of familiarity with them.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

What word, used colloquially to refer to a person's nose, is the scientific term for the trunk of an elephant as well as for the elongated feeding and sucking organ of some invertebrates?
Probably would have gotten this right anyway, but this post I made here last week sure boosted my confidence on the spelling.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

My seemingly inexorable shocking march to winning my C League Rundle continues as I have now won seven in a row (it helps being old and being pop culture savvy when I was growing up, which was the case yesterday with SCTV and Flash Gordon).

Anyway, as I look on the detailed standings board to see how I can be leading when my correct answer and total match point numbers are eighth in the rundle, I noticed two statistical metrics that I didn't understand: Unforced Points Allowed and Correct Answers Allowed. I think I have an idea what these mean, but I thought I would let the LL seamheads here let me know for sure. I'm tied in my rundle for fewest Correct Answers Allowed.

Thanks in advance.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:44 pm I thought the Spam trap would catch a few, but 58% MCWA to a 26% get rate! Wow!
I kind of wonder if "Red Devil" would have been acceptable. I vaguely recall it being used synonymous to "Deviled Ham", and also "Potted Meat". Great question and informative little trivia nugget in the clue. I can sure see it being tough for the post-boomers, being somewhat anachronistic with all the microwave ready instant foods.
I'm a Xennial cusper and guessed "Red Devil" after futilely trying to remember "Underwood." Unfortunately, it was not accepted.
My dad (who was your MD21 opponent) is a boomer and he answered with "Spam."
I would prefer not to.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

georgespelvin wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:05 am Anyway, as I look on the detailed standings board to see how I can be leading when my correct answer and total match point numbers are eighth in the rundle, I noticed two statistical metrics that I didn't understand: Unforced Points Allowed and Correct Answers Allowed. I think I have an idea what these mean, but I thought I would let the LL seamheads here let me know for sure. I'm tied in my rundle for fewest Correct Answers Allowed.

Thanks in advance.
If you're lowest in CAA then essentially you've had the easiest schedule in your rundle. So, your middle of the road TCA and TMP result in a higher place in the standing when your CAA and presumably TPA are lower than normal. UfPA means you have been good in assigning points and your DE should also be high.

0(1) - 0(0) tie for me yesterday as I got New Orleans and decided SCTV couldn't be right since Guy Caballero didn't sound remotely Canadian despite knowing Great White North from Strange Brew.