2019 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:58 pm
Volante wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:00 am https://www.reuters.com/article/us-foot ... SKBN1YJ043
LSU quarterback Joe Burrow won the 85th Heisman Trophy in record-setting fashion on Saturday night.

The redshirt senior, who transferred from Ohio State following spring practice in 2018 after failing to win the starting job, has led the Tigers to a 13-0 record and the No. 1 seed in the College Football Playoff. He set a record for highest percentage of points in the balloting — 93.8
I hope he likes Miami...
why do you say that? the bengals are in line for the number 1 pick this year and they are in need of a quarterback since they probably don't want to continue with andy dalton
Apparently the Dolphins have won more games since I last bothered to check.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

Twenty-five years after it was released, Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas Is You" tops the Billboard Hot 100. It is the first holiday song to top the chart since "The Chipmunk Song" ruled in 1959 and gives Carey her 19th number one, putting her just one behind the Beatles for the most all-time.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/busi ... number-one
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

cheezguyty wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:17 pm Twenty-five years after it was released, Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas Is You" tops the Billboard Hot 100. It is the first holiday song to top the chart since "The Chipmunk Song" ruled in 1959 and gives Carey her 19th number one, putting her just one behind the Beatles for the most all-time.

I was hoping for this! I've finally embraced the weirdness of Billboard's chart methodology, and I love that the Christmas songs pop up again every year. On a related note, "Last Christmas" didn't chart on the Hot 100 until 2016, on the occasion of George Michael's death.

I wonder if it will happen again next year, and if it will count as a second placement, ala Chubby Checkers's "The Twist"
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:39 pm
cheezguyty wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:17 pm Twenty-five years after it was released, Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas Is You" tops the Billboard Hot 100. It is the first holiday song to top the chart since "The Chipmunk Song" ruled in 1959 and gives Carey her 19th number one, putting her just one behind the Beatles for the most all-time.

I was hoping for this! I've finally embraced the weirdness of Billboard's chart methodology, and I love that the Christmas songs pop up again every year. On a related note, "Last Christmas" didn't chart on the Hot 100 until 2016, on the occasion of George Michael's death.

I wonder if it will happen again next year, and if it will count as a second placement, ala Chubby Checkers's "The Twist"
I believe this is also the longest amount of time for a song to hit number one from first release.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:50 pm

I believe this is also the longest amount of time for a song to hit number one from first release.
on the billboard charts, yes...any chart from around the world...ding dong the witch is dead was released in 1939 and wound up at number 1 on the scottish singles charts in 2013
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:49 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:50 pm

on the billboard charts, yes...any chart from around the world...ding dong the witch is dead was released in 1939 and wound up at number 1 on the scottish singles charts in 2013
Due to the death of Margaret Thatcher
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Volante wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:40 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:58 pm
Volante wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:00 am https://www.reuters.com/article/us-foot ... SKBN1YJ043
LSU quarterback Joe Burrow won the 85th Heisman Trophy in record-setting fashion on Saturday night.

The redshirt senior, who transferred from Ohio State following spring practice in 2018 after failing to win the starting job, has led the Tigers to a 13-0 record and the No. 1 seed in the College Football Playoff. He set a record for highest percentage of points in the balloting — 93.8
I hope he likes Miami...
why do you say that? the bengals are in line for the number 1 pick this year and they are in need of a quarterback since they probably don't want to continue with andy dalton
Apparently the Dolphins have won more games since I last bothered to check.
and the Bengals' suckage comes naturally, not trying to tank
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Fallon Sherrock became the first woman ever to win a match at the PDC World Darts Championship
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:18 pm Fallon Sherrock became the first woman ever to win a match at the PDC World Darts Championship
Do you really think that will come up on Jeopardy?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:38 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:18 pm Fallon Sherrock became the first woman ever to win a match at the PDC World Darts Championship
Hasn't stopped him before.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

does it matter...it is current events and trivia...could come up in bar trivia..in fact i am including a question about it for a current events category in a bar trivia game i am writing for next week

not everyone looks at this for jeopardy material as most on here will never go on the show anyway or have already been on it...there are plenty of other trivia endeavors out there apart from jeopardy
davey

Post by davey »

I think it could. But only to name the sport and only if there was sufficient TOM so that anybody could guess it with no prior knowledge of the event... ;)
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:50 pm
does it matter...it is current events and trivia...could come up in bar trivia..in fact i am including a question about it for a current events category in a bar trivia game i am writing for next week

not everyone looks at this for jeopardy material as most on here will never go on the show anyway or have already been on it...there are plenty of other trivia endeavors out there apart from jeopardy
it absolutely matters because this is a study guide on a Jeopardy board--yeah, a study guide for getting on and being on Jeopardy.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:55 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:50 pm

it absolutely matters because this is a study guide on a Jeopardy board--yeah, a study guide for getting on and being on Jeopardy.
doesn't have it in the title of this thread...and there are more things than jeopardy that are discussed on this board
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:55 pm it absolutely matters because this is a study guide on a Jeopardy board--yeah, a study guide for getting on and being on Jeopardy.
Exactly why I posted what I did. He's welcome to start a thread about General Trivia Observations or some such, but the original idea of this thread was to help people study for Jeopardy. If you're posting in this thread, it should fit within the domain of the Jeopardy canon.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

davey wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:52 pm
I think it could. But only to name the sport and only if there was sufficient TOM so that anybody could guess it with no prior knowledge of the event... ;)
wouldn't expect anyone to remember the name...but yeah the event would be fair game...is how i am going to use it in my bar trivia question...Fallon Sherrock became the first woman to win a match at the world championships for what sport? the tom there would be simply sport...how many sports do woman and men compete against one another? not that many, so it brings it down to what is basically a multiple choice without giving the choices
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:58 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:55 pm it absolutely matters because this is a study guide on a Jeopardy board--yeah, a study guide for getting on and being on Jeopardy.
Exactly why I posted what I did. He's welcome to start a thread about General Trivia Observations or some such, but the original idea of this thread was to help people study for Jeopardy. If you're posting in this thread, it should fit within the domain of the Jeopardy canon.
change the title of the thread to jeopardy specific
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

davey wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:52 pm
I could see it being used by saying she was “on target” or “hit the bullseye” in winning the match.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I'd argue it's possible, with "darts" being the correct response.

ETA: I see this has been covered.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I hope this is relevant, but Donald Trump has been impeached on two counts on a mostly party line vote.