LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by twelvefootboy »

classicroadster wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:34 am
georgespelvin wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:05 am Anyway, as I look on the detailed standings board to see how I can be leading when my correct answer and total match point numbers are eighth in the rundle, I noticed two statistical metrics that I didn't understand: Unforced Points Allowed and Correct Answers Allowed. I think I have an idea what these mean, but I thought I would let the LL seamheads here let me know for sure. I'm tied in my rundle for fewest Correct Answers Allowed.

Thanks in advance.
If you're lowest in CAA then essentially you've had the easiest schedule in your rundle. So, your middle of the road TCA and TMP result in a higher place in the standing when your CAA and presumably TPA are lower than normal. UfPA means you have been good in assigning points and your DE should also be high.
After 20 trials, you can no longer say "easiest" schedule*, and the metric is not strength of schedule at this point. "Luckiest" might be a better adjective after the midway point of the season. If you have a low CAA ranking, then the matches have lined up so your opponents met you against their worst categories. (Either that, or you have intimidated them with your flag design :LOL:) You have no control over their game, and hopefully you have enough mojo in their weak categories to take advantage.

*I'm sure over several hundred rundles someone has 4 matches remaining with bottom 10 competitors, but on average you ought to be playing against a #12 ranked player. I have numbers 3,14, and 19 left after today, average = 12 :).

I'm a big beneficiary of timing, with 30 CAA vs. 59 TCA to put me in second in the dumb room Taiga E. I should get promoted to grade school next season but will be back soon :lol: . Last season in D, I got waled with 72 TCA vs. 55 TCA.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Thanks for the information. In other words, as I've stated before, I'm going to be killed in B League next season. Even if I win out this week, I will still have a lifetime losing record in C League despite being nine games over .500 this season so far. :roll:

I should add that there seems to me to be more pop culture questions this season. That would definitely make a difference for me.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:48 am
classicroadster wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:34 am
georgespelvin wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:05 am Anyway, as I look on the detailed standings board to see how I can be leading when my correct answer and total match point numbers are eighth in the rundle, I noticed two statistical metrics that I didn't understand: Unforced Points Allowed and Correct Answers Allowed. I think I have an idea what these mean, but I thought I would let the LL seamheads here let me know for sure. I'm tied in my rundle for fewest Correct Answers Allowed.

Thanks in advance.
If you're lowest in CAA then essentially you've had the easiest schedule in your rundle. So, your middle of the road TCA and TMP result in a higher place in the standing when your CAA and presumably TPA are lower than normal. UfPA means you have been good in assigning points and your DE should also be high.
After 20 trials, you can no longer say "easiest" schedule*, and the metric is not strength of schedule at this point. "Luckiest" might be a better adjective after the midway point of the season. If you have a low CAA ranking, then the matches have lined up so your opponents met you against their worst categories. (Either that, or you have intimidated them with your flag design :LOL:) You have no control over their game, and hopefully you have enough mojo in their weak categories to take advantage.

*I'm sure over several hundred rundles someone has 4 matches remaining with bottom 10 competitors, but on average you ought to be playing against a #12 ranked player. I have numbers 3,14, and 19 left after today, average = 12 :).

I'm a big beneficiary of timing, with 30 CAA vs. 59 TCA to put me in second in the dumb room Taiga E. I should get promoted to grade school next season but will be back soon :lol: . Last season in D, I got waled with 72 TCA vs. 55 TCA.
To me, in the context of LL schedule, easiest/luckiest are interchangeable so I agree with you. I didn't mean to imply that if you have a low CAA you've only played the worst people in your rundle. Just that the people you played didn't answer as many questions correctly on the days you played them.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Remember that not every rundle has 26 players, there are some with as many as 34 or 36. In those cases it's not just when you play them but also who you play that can play a role in affecting your CAA.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I have somehow managed to make it to the promotion zone! Hoping I can stay there for another few days to see what happens when I get to C.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

A momentous day in the Pruss-Knobel household: cmp146 and I play each other in both the public Magnolia A and private JBoard rundles. In A Mag this match might actually mean something: we are both within shouting distance of making the championship. It is still unlikely, as there are other people in the way, but there is a chance.

Not much chance in the Jboard private rundle - holy cow that has been a tough rundle, where several of our residents have been showing the depth and breadth of their knowledge. It has been fun but humbling!

Anyhow, lots of love to cmp146. I hope you lose.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

boson wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:10 pm A momentous day in the Pruss-Knobel household: cmp146 and I play each other in both the public Magnolia A and private JBoard rundles. In A Mag this match might actually mean something: we are both within shouting distance of making the championship. It is still unlikely, as there are other people in the way, but there is a chance.

Not much chance in the Jboard private rundle - holy cow that has been a tough rundle, where several of our residents have been showing the depth and breadth of their knowledge. It has been fun but humbling!

Anyhow, lots of love to cmp146. I hope you lose.
:roll: Love triumphs over all. Loser gets to pack lunches tomorrow.

Yes, our private rundle is frighteningly good. I enjoy the temperate competition in A Magnolia better, where I have a higher ranking.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

classicroadster wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:41 am To me, in the context of LL schedule, easiest/luckiest are interchangeable so I agree with you. I didn't mean to imply that if you have a low CAA you've only played the worst people in your rundle. Just that the people you played didn't answer as many questions correctly on the days you played them.
Yes, you made a nice answer, and it is Thorsten who labels CAA as a measure of strength of schedule. Which it definitely is for the first day, then diminishes as the entropy decreases and the cream floats and the bottom feeders sink. But as you said you can punch above your weight if you have good hair days at the right time. I'm just in my third season and didn't even look at this stuff earlier, so these are just newbie observations, not inside baseball.
jeff6286 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:34 pm Remember that not every rundle has 26 players, there are some with as many as 34 or 36. In those cases it's not just when you play them but also who you play that can play a role in affecting your CAA.
Good point! I didn't know they overbooked by that much. You could add up the place finishers you competed against and really have a good handle about the relative strength of schedule. Or you could just play the New England Patriots schedule every year which is probably against players 13 - 38 :)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Well, yesterday I got a glimpse of my likely future in B League if I get there next season (I have a three point lead with two days left). I lost 5(4)-6(5). I defended my opponent perfectly. :(
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

cmp146 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:42 pm
boson wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:10 pm A momentous day in the Pruss-Knobel household: cmp146 and I play each other in both the public Magnolia A and private JBoard rundles.
Even in losing, I win: the kids have lunches provided at school today. HA!

For Q1, I knew it was Duchamp, but instead of the correct pseudonym I mangled the French pun he used to retitle the Mona Lisa "L.H.O.O.Q.".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

boson wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:43 am
boson wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:10 pm A momentous day in the Pruss-Knobel household: cmp146 and I play each other in both the public Magnolia A and private JBoard rundles.

For Q1, I knew it was Duchamp, but instead of the correct pseudonym I mangled the French pun he used to retitle the Mona Lisa "L.H.O.O.Q.".
Except it wasn't Duchamp
http://www.openculture.com/2018/07/the- ... champ.html
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

After a six match winning streak I'm now on a three game losing streak, facing a six-pack each time. So it goes in A...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:41 am

Except it wasn't Duchamp
Wow. Thanks for this. Her name is certainly one that should be better known (and would make for a wicked trivia question).
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Woof wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:05 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:41 am

Except it wasn't Duchamp
Wow. Thanks for this. Her name is certainly one that should be better known (and would make for a wicked trivia question).
I considered Duchamp as the answer where "artist who created the piece" was perhaps Thorsten's way of expressing appreciation for the unsung craftsman who created the urinal for low wages at the factory. I also thought of Leonardo da Vinci, as a variation on the mustache-on-the-Mona-Lisa theme. I rather wish I'd done one or the other so at least I'd have had something I could justify intellectually, as there was no chance I was going to be right, as it turns out.

Bad luck (or, as the case may be, ordinary stupidity) in switching from Snoop to Tupac. I remembered that the former was featured as a promising up-and-comer on an album by the latter, and thought maybe this was the previous link in that chain.
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

My 3rd straight tie -- this one the elusive 0(1)-0(1) -- obviously I found yesterday's set very difficult.

Drops me to 5th (the last promotion spot), but I do control my own destiny.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I needed a win yesterday to keep me from possible relegation. With 2 right it seemed unlikely, but I lucked into a 5(2)-3(3) win.

I lost the coin flip between Oberlin and Wittenberg. There being a German city called Oberlin seemed more likely to me than there being a college in Ohio called Wittenberg.

I also thought for sure that the Haydn symphony would be the Surprise Symphony. I knew that he had a Clock Symphony as well, but nothing in the clue made me think of it.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Today is simple, if I win, I move up to C. Playing #6 in the Rundle, have a tie against this person. They haven't been in the league long enough to have enough stats for easier defense.

Usually I seem to finish my seasons against the top players in the rundle, but this time my last 5 games weren't that way, and it was nice not to be thinking the slaughter is coming.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I ended up guessing "heartbeat" for the Haydn symphony, but I came tantalizingly close to the correct answer when considering "cuckoo" as a possibility. (I guess I imagined the two-note motif as rhythmically asymmetrical.) Getting that right would have gotten me a 9(5)-9(6) tie (as my opponent inexplicably gave me zero for Ichiro, the only other one I missed).
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:30 am Today is simple, if I win, I move up to C. Playing #6 in the Rundle, have a tie against this person. They haven't been in the league long enough to have enough stats for easier defense.

Usually I seem to finish my seasons against the top players in the rundle, but this time my last 5 games weren't that way, and it was nice not to be thinking the slaughter is coming.
Ditto for me...wish I had defended better yesterday (or stuck with Carousel after thinking it was a song) as I lost 2(3) - 3(2). My opponent had an .800 Classical Music and missed it but got Wittenburg. If I had won yesterday I could rest easy today but now I am tied for 3rd (I'm ahead on MPD but just by a bit) and final promotion spot going into the last day.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Shoutout to Ironhorse for writing this in the Final Jeopardy clues thread earlier this year:
Ironhorse wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:30 pm Geography: This is the only UN-recognized nation state named after a historical woman.
Spoiler
What is St. Lucia?
(Wording is so as to exclude that Ireland is named after a goddess.)
The LL question gave the capital, so I wasn't going to miss it, but the "only country named for a historical woman" bit had a ring of familiarity.