New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:49 pm ENDS IN "OO" for $200 ( http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4788 ):

"Your submission tastes like yummy spam. Thanks and happy spamming!"

Well I never! (I blame the draconian firewall we have here at work.)

"Boo-Hoo" is a song title, and thus should have quotation marks and capital letters and a hyphen. And welcome Carmen Lombardo to the J-Canon!
Counterpoint: the clue doesn't ask for a song title, so it doesn't need capital letters. (I concede the quotation marks, since the clue asks for the sound, and the hyphen, since that's how Carmen Lombardo rendered the sound in writing.)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:01 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:49 pm ENDS IN "OO" for $200 ( http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4788 ):

"Your submission tastes like yummy spam. Thanks and happy spamming!"

Well I never! (I blame the draconian firewall we have here at work.)

"Boo-Hoo" is a song title, and thus should have quotation marks and capital letters and a hyphen. And welcome Carmen Lombardo to the J-Canon!
Counterpoint: the clue doesn't ask for a song title, so it doesn't need capital letters. (I concede the quotation marks, since the clue asks for the sound, and the hyphen, since that's how Carmen Lombardo rendered the sound in writing.)
It's now "boo-hoo" and thanks to both of you for the suggestions.
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

For me, the best part of this episode is the humorous miswagering at the end. Since ties were allowed in 1986, it would have been smarter for Marc not to add the dollar. Yet, Ed saved that mistake by withholding two dollars. His facial and entire bodily expression was just priceless. I am sure he's still kicking himself. :lol:

And Tim is probably kicking himself too, since he could have wagered nothing and won.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mjhunt wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:07 am For me, the best part of this episode is the humorous miswagering at the end. Since ties were allowed in 1986, it would have been smarter for Marc not to add the dollar. Yet, Ed saved that mistake by withholding two dollars. His facial and entire bodily expression was just priceless. I am sure he's still kicking himself. :lol:

And Tim is probably kicking himself too, since he could have wagered nothing and won.
It's rare in J! for the winner to have $x99 and second place to have $x98; I can think of only one other game where it happened. In the newly completed game, it was First Equals Second Plus Third, where if Marc offered a tie to Tim and missed, he'd fall to exactly double Ed's score, and Ed lost by withholding more money than Marc attempted to cover Tim by (and of course, Tim wagered imprudently from a lock second). In the game I linked, it was First and a Half Equals Second Plus Third, a crazier case where if Monica wagered to catch up exactly to Matt and missed, she would fall to the same spot Matt would if he offered Roberta a tie and missed. Monica, presumably thinking Roberta could wager to get $1 ahead of Matt, wagered to get $2 ahead of Matt. Matt covered Roberta by $1, and so when they both missed, Matt and Monica fell to $5,599 and $5,598 respectively. (Roberta, for her part, wasn't necessarily imprudent, since she would have fallen to third place covering Monica anyway, but perhaps she could have gone all-in, since Matt could have offered a tie.)
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:42 pm Even though "5 wins" doesn't really mean anything anymore, I still take that as the benchmark. Once they've hit that, they've earned the notation. Less than 5 wins, they can wait until the ToC berth.
I'd like someone to explain Randy Amasia (deceased), Ed Toutant (deceased), Bill Nyden, Dan Avila, David Juliano, & Karl Coryat's notations in the archive.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:42 pm

I'd like someone to explain Randy Amasia (deceased), Ed Toutant (deceased), Bill Nyden, Dan Avila, David Juliano, & Karl Coryat's notations in the archive.
Dan Avila is most closely identified with Greed, a show from 1999 where he needed to choose 4 (of 9) correct answers to win $2.2M.

His Q (paraphrased): According to a survey, which of the following odors are easiest to recognize?

The possible choices were:

Johnson & Johnson's baby powder
Yuban brand coffee
Strawberries (generic)
Bumblebee brand tuna
Jif peanut butter
Friskies dried cat food
a chocolate bar (no brand mentioned)
mothballs
Vicks Vapo-Rub

Dan correctly guessed the coffee, peanut butter and the Vapo-Rub, but was wrong on the tuna (correct 4th answer: the chocolate bar).

Ed Toutant appeared on WWTBAM during it's ABC run. He won a progressive jackpot that grew every time a contestant failed to win the top prize.

Hope this helps you.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6489

Follow-up to my last posted game, we have April 25, 1991, Tod Hughes vs. Phyllis Marks vs. Dave Gibboni. I'd like to thank Dave for getting these to us through his intermediary on Facebook. This game especially had a lot of good stuff.

Looking at it from 2019, the clue ordering in "LAST" MOVIES in the J! round seems decidedly random. Current day, I'd place them like this:
1. In this 1984 film, Lance Guest uses his video game skills to fight an interstellar war ($500)

2. Cloris Leachman & Ben Johnson won Oscars for this '71 film that takes place 20 years earlier ($200)

3. 1 of the 2 "Last" films directed by Bernardo Bertolucci ($400) This would make a good Daily Double.

4. In his last film, Paul Muni played this "indignant" title role ($300)

5. Jack Nicholson & Otis Young played naval officers & Randy Quaid their prisoner in this 1973 film ($100)
Spoiler
1. What is The Last Starfighter?
2. What is The Last Picture Show?
3. What is The Last Emperor or Last Tango in Paris?
4. What is The Last Angry Man?
5. What is The Last Detail?
You could switch 4 and 5; these days they're equally unfamiliar, I'd say.

We welcome the Ashes cricket tournament to the J-Canon. Surprised it hasn't turned up before now. I wonder if it ever showed up on Sports Jeopardy?

I did an Archive search last week on Mexican muralists, so I'll pick ART for $1000 as clue of the game. He was a question at the Pub Quiz Tournament of Champions last Tuesday, and I'm glad I've finally stopped confusing his name.
He painted a gigantic mural on the history of Mexico before he died in 1957
Spoiler
Who is Diego Rivera? There are a couple of other names you might guess (Orozco, & Siqueiros), but this one is as good as Pavlov for Mexico + mural.
FJ! is quite out of date, as both Trump and Obama started their terms with their party leading both houses of Congress. In 1991, the clue was quite guessable, even if it went triple-stumper here.

I got this entire game entered today, and even with breaks, it didn't take me long at all. That's good to remember, as much of my procrastination is predicated on assumptions that things are going to take me way more time than they actually do.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Clinton and Bush43 started with their party in control as well. Although Bush’s Senate was 50-50. I got FJ, but had to check the date. I think I remember watching this and it was surprising it was a TS when the correct response wasn’t that far in the past.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

I found a short clip of the 5/6/92 episode on FB. It shows Dave Ellis.
https://www.facebook.com/dave.ellis.906 ... 543762089/
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:17 am
mjhunt wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:07 am For me, the best part of this episode is the humorous miswagering at the end. Since ties were allowed in 1986, it would have been smarter for Marc not to add the dollar. Yet, Ed saved that mistake by withholding two dollars. His facial and entire bodily expression was just priceless. I am sure he's still kicking himself. :lol:

It's rare in J! for the winner to have $x99 and second place to have $x98; I can think of only one other game where it happened. In the newly completed game, it was First Equals Second Plus Third, where if Marc offered a tie to Tim and missed, he'd fall to exactly double Ed's score, and Ed lost by withholding more money than Marc attempted to cover Tim by (and of course, Tim wagered imprudently from a lock second). In the game I linked, it was First and a Half Equals Second Plus Third, a crazier case where if Monica wagered to catch up exactly to Matt and missed, she would fall to the same spot Matt would if he offered Roberta a tie and missed. Monica, presumably thinking Roberta could wager to get $1 ahead of Matt, wagered to get $2 ahead of Matt. Matt covered Roberta by $1, and so when they both missed, Matt and Monica fell to $5,599 and $5,598 respectively. (Roberta, for her part, wasn't necessarily imprudent, since she would have fallen to third place covering Monica anyway, but perhaps she could have gone all-in, since Matt could have offered a tie.)
Wow that is very crazy. I can understand what Monica was thinking. But, she must have really been kicking herself.

That said, this is a crazy wagering scenario and it seems easy to mess it up under pressure.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I filled in 3/22/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1727

All of the links should work including the player pics.

THE 3 for $800 asking for the 3 U.S. manned capsule programs made me laugh in recalling Elise Nussbaum's reaction in facing that as a DD last month.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:58 am I filled in 3/22/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1727

All of the links should work including the player pics.

THE 3 for $800 asking for the 3 U.S. manned capsule programs made me laugh in recalling Elise Nussbaum's reaction in facing that as a DD last month.
Once again, thank you for these games! Kicking myself for the DD in THE 3 - I got the two "tough" ones, and missed the easiest one by far. (Well, I'd say they were easy, medium, hard, actually.) Dreaded Opera Category has an interesting cameo.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1136

Maybe I should have waited until next week, but here's New Year's Eve 2001, Marcy Rosewall vs. Tom Unsworth vs. Robert Heiler.

CHILDREN'S SONGS for $400 (J!) came up in LearnedLeague this season, as, I believe, the easiest question of LL83.

Neither Jacques Rogge nor Scott O'Grady were new to the J-Canon, but I didn't "know" either of them, even if I guessed Rogge's job correctly. The children's song "Down By The Station" does make its archive debut, however.

Tom got the rare 4/5 category "sweep" applause for getting the last 4 clues in that column correct. It put him into the lead that he had at the end of the game. (And to future correction submitters: no, the $1600 clue did not have the year in it. Bugs me too.) Poor Marcy hit the 2 DDs back-to-back, but missed them both, putting her out of contention and giving Tom the runaway. Good for her for picking $2000 clues after the "1 minute" warning, to try to get back in the game.

Take a look at the pic that accompanied WHERE ARE U? for $2000 (the DD).
Second and fifth letter:
This plant covering the ground in the photo and in much of the south

I would argue that the
Spoiler
kudzu
is not covering the ground at all.

For clue of the day, I suppose I'll pick PSYCH 102 for $2000
1912 was a big year in psychology; we heard about IQ testing & gestalt, & this man was writing his behaviorist paper
Spoiler
Who is John Watson?
There are other behaviorists to know, Pavlov (natch) and B.F. Skinner are 2, but this is the name that comes up most often on J! in connection with the term. I bet he comes up in the LearnedLeague Psychology MiniLeague next month!

I do believe that we now have the entirety of 2001 entered. On to that last handful of 2002s!
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

My grandpa remembers watching all 5 games of Richard Landon back in November 1984, couple of weeks after John Genova's run. I was wondering if anybody has the first 3 games of Richard Landon that can be added to the Archive. Dates should be 11/21/84, 11/22/84 & 11/23/84.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

So, according to the front page of the Archive, we are at 383,535 clues, which means we are 16,465 clues away from 400,000. Dividing that by roughly 60 clues per game, we see that we'll hit that mark after entering another 274 games or so. A full season has 230 games, leaving us 44 extra games to enter to hit the mark. Let's assume we're lucky, and we get at least 5 eps of the GOAT tourney, that's 10 games worth of material, leaving 34 games. Mark always does 1 game a month, and I manage about the same, if not as regularly as he does, which means we just have to pick up 10 more games somewhere, most likely thanks to Mark in the summer, and we'll hit that magic mark sometime in 2020. Which is not even mentioning that tomorrow's game (or today's, based on when you're probably reading this) is yet to be entered.

And what's 20x20? 400, the number of thousands of clues that will have been entered by the end of 2020.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. Happy New Year, one and all.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:17 am So, according to the front page of the Archive, we are at 383,535 clues, which means we are 16,465 clues away from 400,000. Dividing that by roughly 60 clues per game, we see that we'll hit that mark after entering another 274 games or so. A full season has 230 games, leaving us 44 extra games to enter to hit the mark. Let's assume we're lucky, and we get at least 5 eps of the GOAT tourney, that's 10 games worth of material, leaving 34 games. Mark always does 1 game a month, and I manage about the same, if not as regularly as he does, which means we just have to pick up 10 more games somewhere, most likely thanks to Mark in the summer, and we'll hit that magic mark sometime in 2020. Which is not even mentioning that tomorrow's game (or today's, based on when you're probably reading this) is yet to be entered.

And what's 20x20? 400, the number of thousands of clues that will have been entered by the end of 2020.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. Happy New Year, one and all.
We would be even more lucky if I find more unarchived games, then we would hit the magic mark faster.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Doing my part to get us closer to 385,000 clues (400K can wait) I filled in 3/25/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1728

That will be the last game I archive.

In 2019. :lol:

The player pics are in the Archive and the links should work.

Wonder if Peter is over giving his chance away?

I tossed a mental coin for each in DOUBLE TALK FOOD & DRINK as I did not know or care which are two words, one word or hyphenates. Submit a correction suggestion or post here if you have a strong opinion.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Here is a story about Peter’s family business. He is quoted in the story, but alas does not mention his Jeopardy appearance.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life ... 9.amp.html
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

http://www.triviahalloffame.com/olmstead.php - The one-time all-time game show winnings record-holder, Kevin Olmstead, was on Jeopardy! in 1994 prior to hitting it big on Millionaire. When in 1994 was he on, and does anybody have his games available so we can add them to the archive? This just kind of tickled my fancy lately.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^See page 170.