Friday, January 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, January 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:04 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:19 pm A lot of it just seems millennial par for the course
Wait, you think Jennifer is a Millennial? I'd think she's a Gen-Xer for sure.
You think she's in her 40s or 50s? I guess that's possible. In that case she ought to straighten up and stop acting like the morons! :D Or are you extending Generation X to the mid-80s? Some do, but definitely not me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:37 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:19 pm A lot of it just seems millennial par for the course
You think she's in her 40s or 50s? I guess that's possible. In that case she ought to straighten up and stop acting like the morons! :D Or are you extending Generation X to the mid-80s? Some do, but definitely not me.
I would assume 40s, yes.
QBall
Valued Contributor

Post by QBall »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:55 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:37 pm
I would assume 40s, yes.
One of my friends has known her since doing some high school program together, and he’s in his early 40s.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:22 am What are these tweets people are talking about? I see one that says, "Karen is really getting lucky with other players getting softball doubles and not capitalizing." In my opinion, that's completely fair. See the Fourth Podium Poll for 12/31/2019. That's just one example of where she could have easily been beaten by a competent player. I say this as someone who likes Karen and is happy to see her win.

The other I see says, "Saudi Arabia, geez. #Jeopardy Karen must have voodoo dolls for daily doubles." That's a little less fair if you take the whole game into account. Even if Kevin had gotten that right, that would "only" have increased his pre-FJ score by $12,000. He'd still have been behind Karen, who was the only player to get FJ right. On the other hand, maybe Jennifer was tweeting while watching. In that case, Kevin's Saudi Arabia miss seemed like a real game-changer in the moment. Kevin went true DD, received a very gettable clue, and shoulda woulda coulda rocketed ahead of Karen at that point in the game. (And who knows whether a non-demoralized Kevin might have been able to press his advantage and retain the lead all the way to FJ--where he would still have to know Linnaeus to win.) If I'd been in Kevin's position with that DD and that FJ, you likely wouldn't be talking about this Penguin who lost on Jeopardy!. You'd be talking about me as a proud one-game winner. Karen has had more than one escape of this sort.

The only spelling comment seems to involve Jennifer making fun of HERSELF for not knowing how to spell Linnaeus.

Jennifer Q's tweets do seem to have more general snark and know-it-all-ness than I tend to care for. She says stuff that I might yell at my TV but wouldn't broadcast to the world. But the snark doesn't seem directed at Karen in particular and it's not even close to over the line to me.

I wouldn't discuss this at all, but there's some pretty strong language anti-Jennifer above.
A lot of them seem to be live tweeting, so I'm sure they are very spontaneous and responsive rather than the result of thoughtful reflection. Also, I'm missing context since I can't remember what was contemporaneous at the time. Were I the actual target of the tweets, I don't really think I'd be particularly offended.

Among any group of competitive people, sometimes there's a fine line between meanness vs snark vs simple trash talk, so I'm going to have to join Opus in the "shruggers" group. Put among other tweets by other tweeters, most seem pretty mild.

But it's another reason I don't have a twitter account. Too much inconsequential stream-of-consciousness sharing and inane chatter to be worth spending time with.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:02 pmso I'm going to have to join Opus in the "shruggers" group.
See now that's just hurtful. You know us penguins are physically challenged in the shrugging department.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:33 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:02 pmso I'm going to have to join Opus in the "shruggers" group.
See now that's just hurtful. You know us penguins are physically challenged in the shrugging department.
I know what you mean. It was hurtful for me, too, admitting publicly that I agreed with you. But, (shrugs) meh, who cares?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

LOL, just LOL at Green Bay being in Michigan.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:31 pm
Got all but $200 in Armchair Expert. Any reason I should know JFK used a rocking chair and not any other kind of chair that moves?

Trust the picture in your head.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:19 pm Ok, guys, I hear you. Some of those things rubbed me the wrong way as well. A lot of it just seems millennial par for the course--no filter even when you're speaking where the whole world can hear. I don't like it, and a lot of them get burned by it, but that's the way grown-up (but not yet middle-aged) kids these days roll.

Me? I'm unfailingly polite. Also, I use a nom de plumage that I can burn to the ground and walk away from if I have to.
This is exactly why this Gen-X'er eschews (and always has) Twitter. If and when my call comes, the last thing I want is for anyone and everyone to dig up everything I've ever said, put on their armchair psychology hat, and assess my personality or character based thereupon.

What a time we live in!
--
Drowning in the pool