J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Robert K S »

Johnny Mandel would have something to say about that.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

From Tom Hanks' acceptance speech at the Golden Globes last night:

“I have a cold the size of Merv Griffin’s ‘Jeopardy!’ royalties, so forgive me."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Article on the Archive (bless all of them):

The chroniclers of Jeopardy!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There is a podcast called “It was a Thing on TV”. It is three guys reviewing really bad short lived TV shows from the 1970s and 1980s. They seem to base their reviews off YouTube and Wikipedia articles.

To give you an idea of what it is about, here are some shows they have reviewed:

Hello, Larry
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Supertrain
Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour

This week, they did the Super Jeopardy and Monopoly pairing.

Most of their snark was directed towards Monopoly. I never saw it, but it sounds like a hot mess.

They seemed to like SJ and J in general. One of the hosts said he has been on the show and has mentioned it before. His name is Chico Alexander, but I couldn’t find him in the archive, so that may be a fake name as he sounded too young to have been on in the less fully archived seasons.

They gave a good rundown of the format and listed all the players who participated. (They did seem to think the four player deal was strange).

Then one of the other hosts mentioned playing Michael Rankins in a mock Jeopardy game at a trivia convention. The guy calling himself Chico said he once met Burns Cameron at one. Jeff Richmond also got a shoutout when one said he pops up as a friend suggestion on Facebook.

Anyway, it was a fairly interesting listen if you are into that sort of thing. They also plugged the GOAT tournament as a lead-in to the SJ discussion.
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by goongas »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:21 pm There is a podcast called “It was a Thing on TV”. It is three guys reviewing really bad short lived TV shows from the 1970s and 1980s. They seem to base their reviews off YouTube and Wikipedia articles.

To give you an idea of what it is about, here are some shows they have reviewed:

Hello, Larry
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Supertrain
Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour

This week, they did the Super Jeopardy and Monopoly pairing.

Most of their snark was directed towards Monopoly. I never saw it, but it sounds like a hot mess.

They seemed to like SJ and J in general. One of the hosts said he has been on the show and has mentioned it before. His name is Chico Alexander, but I couldn’t find him in the archive, so that may be a fake name as he sounded too young to have been on in the less fully archived seasons.

They gave a good rundown of the format and listed all the players who participated. (They did seem to think the four player deal was strange).

Then one of the other hosts mentioned playing Michael Rankins in a mock Jeopardy game at a trivia convention. The guy calling himself Chico said he once met Burns Cameron at one. Jeff Richmond also got a shoutout when one said he pops up as a friend suggestion on Facebook.

Anyway, it was a fairly interesting listen if you are into that sort of thing. They also plugged the GOAT tournament as a lead-in to the SJ discussion.
Chico is Dino Alexander, he was on in 2018. http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php ... +alexander He is a big game show fan.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:21 pm
The most jarring thing about SJ! is that fourth lectern. Where did it come from? Did someone accidentally order too many lecterns in 1984, so they just kept it in a warehouse for 7 years until SJ! emerged?
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^I heard it was because Merv Griffin wanted Bob Blake and Frank Spangenberg in the tournament at the last minute (after the original invitations had already been sent out), but I could be wrong.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:19 pm ^I heard it was because Merv Griffin wanted Bob Blake and Frank Spangenberg in the tournament at the last minute (after the original invitations had already been sent out), but I could be wrong.
We know why they needed it; talkingaway was asking why they had it in the first place.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:29 pm
Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:19 pm ^I heard it was because Merv Griffin wanted Bob Blake and Frank Spangenberg in the tournament at the last minute (after the original invitations had already been sent out), but I could be wrong.
We know why they needed it; talkingaway was asking why they had it in the first place.
Michael Rankins, Jeff Richmond, and Leah Greenwald are three Super J! contestants with JBoard postings (Tom Cubbage briefly as well) who perhaps know something about the 4th piece's origin itself besides the reason for its necessity as already mentioned.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

On the podcast, one of them speculated they had one in reserve in case one malfunctioned. (Although that comment may have been a bit tongue-in-cheek).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I figure that they still had the specs, and they simply built another.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

ABC World News Tonight revealed one of the categories for Super-Duper Jeopardy!. (Yes, that's what I'm calling it.) If there are absolute J! spoiler-free purists, I'll put the spoiler here, but really, the category is the unsurprising and broad...
Spoiler
DAVID MUIR COVERS THE WORLD. Hello, corporate synergy! I'll wager two more categories: GOOD MORNING, followed by AMERICA. Perhaps MATCH GAME (sports), PYRAMID (Egypt), CARD SHARKS (Old West)? Please, no BACHELOR category. Vague enough that, in the words of someone here, it could literally be anything - geography, news, politics, history, even science or medicine.

And if "ibex" isn't a correct response to a clue somewhere in the GOAT tourney, I'm walking.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

James was on with Kelly & Ryan this morning. I could not find the complete segment on YT, but the Live site has two clips that make up the bulk of the interview: https://kellyandryan.com/

Look on the side of the main page for video options.

James wants to be a villain on a game show and keep people from winning. Trying to read between the lines or reading the tea leaves for the GOAT has been interesting with the guys doing press today.

James did mention winning nothing on 500 Questions.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:00 pm Article on the Archive (bless all of them):

The chroniclers of Jeopardy!
Wow, that was a lovely article: well written and without the snideness that articles about those deep into any fandom expect.

Congrats to the archivists, and thanks for your ongoing efforts!

Though, as someone on this and the preceeding board for over a decade, using the archive the whole time, a comment in the article confuses me: I know the interviews are all transcribed (the automatic posts here copy them), but where are they on the archive? I've never seen them there.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:23 pm And if "ibex" isn't a correct response to a clue somewhere in the GOAT tourney, I'm walking.
Or Tahr. How about ANAGRAMS $2000: A desert in India, and a goat-like animal. (What is Thar/Tahr?)
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

GMA is doing a feature on the GOAT tournament Tuesday morning, along with an interview with Pat Sajak.

Who was that turning the letters on Wheel tonight? Pat's daughter?
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

Yes, it was Maggie Sajak, Pat's daughter. This will be interesting to see coverage of both Trebek's and Sajak and White's shows.
Just a person who loves game shows.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:23 pm ABC World News Tonight revealed one of the categories for Super-Duper Jeopardy!. (Yes, that's what I'm calling it.)
Why "Super-Duper Jeopardy"?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Mario500 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:42 am
talkingaway wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:23 pm ABC World News Tonight revealed one of the categories for Super-Duper Jeopardy!. (Yes, that's what I'm calling it.)
Because it's the sequel series to 1990's Super Jeopardy!, naturally.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:19 pm
Mario500 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:42 am
Because it's the sequel series to 1990's Super Jeopardy!, naturally.
I would rather call it by its official name.