Friday, January 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Friday, January 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

Playing from the archive, was expecting a crapstorm when Palestine was accepted.
Fogey is spelled wrong by the writers.
1979 Constitution + religion = WECIB.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:08 pm As a Bruins fan (sorry, Ontario!), that $800 NHL clue stung. A once-in-a-lifetime (at least on average) Game 7 Stanley Cup Final with home ice, and it did NOT end well. I was there. Still salty. And St. Louis style pizza STINKS!
I was rooting for the Blues, but I have to agree with you that St. Louis style pizza is terrible and provel cheese should be illegal.
talkingaway wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:08 pm I had "fog-e-y" for the four-letter F-word for an old person - and, looking it up, that's the more common spelling, no? Would have been nice to reference that in the clue. I'm half-kidding here, but my secondary answer was "fart". I mean, an "old fart" is a stodgy old gentleman, isn't it? You don't really talk about "young farts"....wonder what the judges would have done with my unexpected answer. Would have been a cool "ho/hoe" moment.
I was 100% with you on that. Is "fart" one of the words you can't say on television?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ACW wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:53 pm While I think people may refer to "penalty minutes" as "penalties", that's definitely too informal. Isn't Alex Canadian?

The box score if you're interested.
IIRC, if you get a misconduct penalty, aren't you kicked out of the game? If so, who was left to play in that game?!?

Yeah, Alex needs to turn in his Canadian heritage for that slip up.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:28 pm so I'm just guessing TPTB cut out the explanation because they didn't want to touch that issue with a ten foot pole.
You'da thunk it would have been foreseeable enough to just scrap the clue if the politics was going to be an issue. It's not like they don't consider alternate correct responses for all of these clues.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:25 pm IIRC, if you get a misconduct penalty, aren't you kicked out of the game? If so, who was left to play in that game?!?
Game misconduct is ejection. Misconduct is just a 10-minute trip to the box.
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

Between the fogey spelling and the backlash they're getting all over Twitter about Palestine ... not one of the best episodes for the clue writers. :/
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:08 pm It would have been nice to have retitled one of the categories something like "A CHURCH IN THE COUNTRY" to remind contestants to give the country, not the city. Other than Alex's aside at the category reveal, there's no indication that the response should be a country vs a city, and the confusion was easy to see (and rampant in practice).
So much this. That bit me for two negs. Barcelona then Garden Grove (...and why the hell I'd think Garden Bleedin Grove J! level material is a question I have no answer to...)

Also, goalie -feels- more like a $200 clue response. Just sayin. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:03 am Jack said his sister was on four years and came in second to have bragging rights in the family. Jack was on today and came in second. If sis got her FJ! clue right then the family will need a tie breaker of scores entering the FJ! round.
She didn't.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:40 pm Also, goalie -feels- more like a $200 clue response. Just sayin. :lol:
True, but 20 goals in a season for goalies?

In the history of the NHL, only 15 goals total have been scored by goalies.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:30 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:28 pm so I'm just guessing TPTB cut out the explanation because they didn't want to touch that issue with a ten foot pole.
You'da thunk it would have been foreseeable enough to just scrap the clue if the politics was going to be an issue. It's not like they don't consider alternate correct responses for all of these clues.
You'd think they'd have had Alex (or the judges or clue writers) tape an explanation/apology to post to Twitter. I'll admit, I'm no Middle East scholar, and figured it was Bethlehem unless they were trying to trick me, but I'll confess to not exactly knowing whether it was Palestine or Israel. However, I do know enough not to touch that issue with that proverbial ten-foot pole - certainly not on a light, generally nonpartisan, syndicated game show.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:52 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:40 pm Also, goalie -feels- more like a $200 clue response. Just sayin. :lol:
True, but 20 goals in a season for goalies?

In the history of the NHL, only 15 goals total have been scored by goalies.
I actually called that someone would answer goalie on that clue. It seems like a knee-jerk a non-hockey fan would think of.

Gotta say I was disappointed when American Housewife came on after J! rather than the GOAT tourney. :cry:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cheezguyty wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:50 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:03 am Jack said his sister was on four years and came in second to have bragging rights in the family. Jack was on today and came in second. If sis got her FJ! clue right then the family will need a tie breaker of scores entering the FJ! round.
She didn't.
Ah, nice research work. Thanks. When I have my archivist hat on again I give them each the sibling connection line.

Cate missed the FJ! clue but had a way better Coryat than Jack as well as score entering the FJ! round. Jack can use the FJ! round get as his trump card. She probably has the stronger argument.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

DBear wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:55 pm Fogey is spelled wrong by the writers.
Merriam-Webster approves of the "fogy" spelling. (In fact, they say "fogey" is a less common variant.)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:17 pmWhen I have my archivist hat on again I give them each the sibling connection line.
Consider it done
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Coryat: $32,200 (39R, 1W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: fogy, [penalty minutes], glockenspiel, William Jennings Bryan, The Knights of Labor, The Martian (DD)

I said "fogy" because I couldn't imagine WEICB.

And quite appropriately, my old fogy brain had no idea on the bottom two clues in "#", nor could I come up with Millie Bobby Brown's name in time.

Ran Science Around Us and American History to my delight, and almost ran NHL and Before and After, but I couldn't come up with paycheck, and I've honestly never heard of Williams Sonoma, but I did know the poet.

My only miss was St. Stephen's Cathedral made me think of St. Stephen I of Hungary, so I was sure that was correct. Guess not...

The TOM that made the FJ so obvious to the other board members will now go into my brain's backlog as it did not register watching the show. It's a big reason why I joined these boards, so thanks all :D
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:08 am Ran Science Around Us and American History to my delight, and almost ran NHL and Before and After, but I couldn't come with paycheck, and I've honestly never heard of Williams Sonoma, but I did know the poet.
Oh, you're in for a treat!
The 2019 Hater’s Guide to the Williams-Sonoma Catalog
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Volante wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:15 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:08 am Ran Science Around Us and American History to my delight, and almost ran NHL and Before and After, but I couldn't come with paycheck, and I've honestly never heard of Williams Sonoma, but I did know the poet.
Oh, you're in for a treat!
The 2019 Hater’s Guide to the Williams-Sonoma Catalog
I see :lol: Well, I'm sure this satire has some truth to it, so it makes sense why I have never heard of them.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Also, did Alek's last name make anyone think of a certain Simpsons character? ;)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Missed Gabriel Byrne, Agent 99, and Borg.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Flux, Fogy, Kendama, Austria, Paycheck, *Penalty Minutes*, Glockenspiel, Guiro, William Carlos Williams Sonoma, William Jennings Bryan, Knights of Labor, (The Martian), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Douglas Squasoni
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:30 pm
Agreed completely. How on earth did that clue make it to air? You're effectively forcing the contestants to take sides on one of the most inflammatory issues in the world. I'm afraid they're going to have to address it eventually.