FJ!s for THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME 1/7-1/9/20

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for G.O.A.T. matches 1/7-1/9/20?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:24 pm

"Silent" Calvin Coolidge was inaugurated in 1925 on a Bible open to this 6-word first line of the Gospel According to John
48%
This man's name was given to a comet that crashed into Jupiter in 1994; he's the only human whose remains lie on the Moon
25%
Its second line is "All the powers of old Europe have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: Pope & Czar, Metternich & Guizot..."
40%
Tall, lanky Joel Barlow was an ambassador carrying messages between these 2 world leaders, both mocked for being short
28%
These 2 now-defunct parties each gave the U.S. 4 presidents in the 19th century
59%
These 2 foreign-born directors have each won 2 Best Director Oscars, but none of their films has won Best Picture
13%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all the boxes above.
2%
:( :( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
13%
CLASSIC MOVIE QUOTES $2000: Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka: "You stole Fizzy Lifting Drinks!...so you get nothing! You lose!" this 3-word farewell
49%
TV GREEN THUMB $1600: Played by Carolyn Jones in the '60s, she loved to cut the heads off her roses & rejoiced when her thorns came in sharp
39%
For the 19th CENTURY LEADERS FJ! clue I had Napoleon but not Madison.
62%
For the 19th CENTURY LEADERS FJ! clue I had Madison but not Napoleon.
1%
For the U.S. POLITICAL HISTORY FJ! clue I had Whig but not Democratic-Republican.
39%
For the U.S. POLITICAL HISTORY FJ! clue I had Democratic-Republican but not Whig.
2%
FOR THE 21st CENTURY OSCAR WINNERS FJ! clue I had Ang Lee but not Alfonso Cuaron.
21%
FOR THE 21st CENTURY OSCAR WINNERS FJ! clue I had Alfonso Cuaron but not Ang Lee.
21%

Total votes: 109

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJ!s for THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME 1/7-1/9/20

Post by MarkBarrett »

Note: The regular weekly poll will be posted at the usual time later today.

1/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTS & THE BIBLE

1/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"Silent" Calvin Coolidge was inaugurated in 1925 on a Bible open to this 6-word first line of the Gospel According to John

1/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ASTRONOMERS

1/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This man's name was given to a comet that crashed into Jupiter in 1994; he's the only human whose remains lie on the Moon

1/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INFLUENTIAL WRITING

1/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its second line is "All the powers of old Europe have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: Pope & Czar, Metternich & Guizot..."

1/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY LEADERS

1/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE  
Tall, lanky Joel Barlow was an ambassador carrying messages between these 2 world leaders, both mocked for being short

1/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S POLITICAL LEADERS

1/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 now-defunct parties each gave the U.S. 4 presidents in the 19th century

1/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
21st CENTURY OSCAR WINNERS

1/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUEThese 2 foreign-born directors have each won 2 Best Director Oscars, but none of their films has won Best Picture

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
In the beginning was the Word
Shoemaker
The Communist Manifesto
Napoleon & James Madison
Democratic-Republican & Whig
Ang Lee & Alfonso Cuaron
The players were 12/17 (70.59%) with a 3-2-3-1-3-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have two triple stumpers.

CLASSIC MOVIE QUOTES $2000: Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka: "You stole Fizzy Lifting Drinks!...so you get nothing! You lose!" this 3-word farewell

TV GREEN THUMB $1600: Played by Carolyn Jones in the '60s, she loved to cut the heads off her roses & rejoiced when her thorns came in sharp

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Good day, sir!
Morticia Addams
MarkBarrett

Re: FJ!s for THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME 1/7-1/9/20

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Das Kapital
Ang Lee & Iñárritu (spelled it Inaritu)
No problem on the movie/TV stumpers that the gentlemen did not get. 
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen:

No guess for the first one
The Prince
No guess for the Oscar one. Couldn't care less about them.

Should have gotten "Good day, sir!"
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

Went with the Federalists over the D-R's because for some reason I thought the D-R's history was counted with the Democrats.

Got Good day, sir.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:| :mrgreen:

11 - *blank stare*
21 - War and Peace before realizing at the 29th second that "...that category probably means it wasn't a -book-"
22 - Madison,(wild flailing) George IV???
32 - Cuaron, ...spluh
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

:mrgreen:
Knew who it was about, but couldn't recall the name Shoemaker. :(
Whig & Federalist :(
Cuaron & Del Toro :(

Good bye, Sir! :( (My son got it right, though.)
Drew a blank on Morticia :(
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

The box of shame... maybe for the first time? I don't keep records. While the games seemed to be around TOC level, I found the finals harder than that.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Ironhorse wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:57 pm
Went with the Federalists over the D-R's because for some reason I thought the D-R's history was counted with the Democrats.
I'm sure I learned that in school, but at some later point I learned different.

I got Ang Lee and was going for Iñárritu but would never ever have got there (due not only to the diacritics). If it hasn't come up yet, I'm sure it would have been fine without the González.

Shoemaker I pulled out of the Vortex. I wasn't certain it wasn't "Schoonmaker", but I figured out a way to write "n" and "m" together so that it could pass for just an "m" with a hook.

On the Bible clue I was helped by memory of this old FJ.

I remembered "good day", but thought it may have been "Good day, gentlemen". Ever since that movie, the phrase has had a ring of curtness to me so I never have felt comfortable using it without an Aussie accent.
Last edited by Lefty on Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm smart and I want respect.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Matched Brad with astronomer Hale instead of Shoemaker -- forehead slap. Had Whigs immediately, then dithered for a moment about Federalists before settling on Democratic-Republicans. Didn't think of Ang Lee at all; the only director I could come up with was del Toro, which turned out to be wrong anyway. But did come up with Napolean and Madison with about a 75% degree of confidence.

Not a terrific showing. I usually watch a normal game and think, "Boy, I wish on stage with these contestants." Even in a normal TOC, I'm thinking, "You know, I think I could hold my own and not embarrass myself."

For these six games/three matches, though, I found myself thinking, "I think I'm glad I'm not going up against these guys."

But it's an awfully lot of fun to watch.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :(

I really should have had Madison; I know he was the shortest president, but the "mocked for being short" wording made me only able to come up with Napoleon. Joel Barlow was obviously not a continental European name, and "carrying messages" somehow made me assume no ocean crossings were involved, so I assumed he was English and went for Napoleon's English contemporary, George III.

I'm less bothered about my Shoemaker miss. I knew that Hale-Bopp and Halley's Comet still exist somewhere, I thought that Kohoutek broke up in a non-crashy way (it merely partially disintegrated), and I was stuck naming the only other comet I could: Hyakutake (but I would have swapped the first two vowels because of a Griffith Observatory employee's mispronunciation decades ago). I've heard of Shoemaker-Levy, but couldn't think of it on my own.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

No response, I forget who I came up with, Lee and del Toro (knew it wasn't, The Shape of Water won Best Picture)
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Box of Shame.

THREE two-part clues? Of course when I know both names for the comet clue they only want the one I didn't pick :(. Got Napoleon and Whigs, that ought to count as one get :).

Joel Barlow sounds like a British (English?) name although I'm sure most of the Colonial names were very similar. If I'd known a short statured Yankee I would have gone with him (white male property owner only).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
The FJs in these matches were consistent for me - easy in the 1st game, tough in the 2d...
No idea on the comet...
First thought on the world leaders was Of course...Begin and Arafat!...then I remembered the category... :oops: I ended up with Wellington, because it never occurred to me to think about American presidents - I don't believe I've ever read anything about American-French relations during the Napoleonic era...
I only considered the Mexican directors for the Thurs FJ - I forgot that Ang Lee isn't American-born - but I had trouble remembering their names anyway... :roll:
Always happy for some lach trash in these games...In addition to Morticia, I was surprised nobody got treatment...
What incredible entertainment, no wonder the ratings have been smashing...now I need to catch up with the week's regular games!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :(

Couldn't recall Shoemaker, even though I could conjure up a mental image of the fragments of the comet burning up in Jupiter's atmosphere. Had Hale-Bopp and Hyakutake stuck in my head. Ugh.

I couldn't get Iñárritu out of my head, even though I knew he was wrong. If I could have just focused enough to count back to 2012, I'd have earned a green smiley. That should have been doable in 30 seconds.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen: :runsawayinhorror:
Had Napoleon & Wellington
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :( :(

No idea on the comet
Had Napoleon but was trying to think of another European leader
Had Whig, but I'm another who thought the Democratic-Republicans turned into the Democratic party, so went with Federalist
On directors, got as far as "the guy who directed Roma". Couldn't pull his name and never would have thought of Ang Lee.
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

:mrgreen: :? :mrgreen: :? :mrgreen: :?
:mrgreen: :?

I'm not a comet guy.

Went with George III for the 19th century leaders question; when thinking of who would be in contact with Napoleon and using an ambassador with an English name, my mind immediately went to Britain. I didn't particularly associate George III with being short, but it seemed possible. I just so don't associate the US with Napoleon that it never occurred to me to consider the presidents.

I immediately had Cuaron for the directors question, and spent the rest of the time trying to come up with the other one. I knew Inarritu and del Toro had both won Best Picture, so that ruled them out, and I couldn't come up with a plausible other answer. It feels like it's been so long since Ang Lee was an Oscar-winning sort of director, I wouldn't have chosen him if you'd given me all day.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

Had Hale for the comet, couldn’t think of Shoemaker-Levy.

Had Napoleon and George III.

Got Ang Lee instantly but couldn’t come up with Cuaron.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bump for new voters