Monday, January 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE BIBLE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This book of the Bible ends with “Fire was on it by night, in the sight of all the house of Israel, throughout all their journeys”

Katie Needle: 10000+0=10000
Daniel Sok: 4400-0=4400
Veronica Vichit-Vadakan: 21000+999=21999 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Exodus (Daniel – James)

Daily Doubles
Katie: 6000-2000
Veronica: 14200-4000
Veronica: 15800+4000

Coryats
Katie: 12000
Daniel: 4400
Veronica: 21800

Combined: 38,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Katie: 4000
Daniel: 2800
Veronica: 5800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Daniel's wife clearly keeps bragging rights: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=12287

Today's Veronica will be the first with that first name in the Archive win a game. Occupation librarian seems to be one to always watch out for on this show.

Whether runaway or not Veronica was going to win since she knew the FJ! clue.

Like Myron posted below I also had an initial misstep on the FJ! clue. Thinking fire as some kind of destruction I did a brief Jericho to Joshua detour. Taking my time to read the clue in its entirety got me back on track without 40 years of wandering.

Almost comical after the Friday game's incident to get another clue involving Israel today.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I almost whiffed this, focusing too hard at "on it" as the TOM. No Myron, it's obviously "journey", put down the right response and step away from the pen.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Blah blah blah journeys. If not for that last word, I'd have had no clue.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Does the fire refer to the pillar of fire?

Edit: Yeah, think so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillar_of ... theophany)

I didn't realize this pillar essentially led them around for 40 years. I thought it was just a nice little deus ex/weapon from heaven in The Ten Commandments.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

VVV for victory...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran "Some", Television, and Water Music.

0/5 in Recognizing the Country. Any reason I should recognize Argentina at $200 with nothing but its size? That amorphous blob could be any country, and the "compare with the size of the US" gimmick was massively distracting by removing any context.

Skunked Colonial America. Calvert = Maryland was unfamiliar to me. And then I completely blanked on the Appalachians.

Yeah, that sounds like Exodus. Let's go with it.

Lach Trash: toothsome
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:03 am Daniel's sister
According to the interview segment they were husband/wife. Fixing it in the Archive.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:03 am Daniel's sister
According to the interview segment they were husband/wife. Fixing it in the Archive.
Thanks for the fix. Yes, you have to keep an eye on me with the archiving. I copied the formatting for the Sok lines from Jack last week and while managing to get the player numbers correct, erred on the relationship.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

OK, after Friday's debacle, we have categories titled "Recognizing the Country" & " That's Some Ending". One of the writers is obviously trolling us :twisted:
Speaking of "Recognizing the Country", tough to do playing it from the Archives.
Easy peasy FJ, but can someone please explain guessing James?
Last edited by DBear on Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $28,800 (40R, 1W)
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Avon (DD), orbit

Had the dubious accomplishment of scoring more in SJ than in DJ (14.8k - 14k). A LOT of clam in DJ. 1/5 in Starchitects. 1/5 in Colonial America. A rough start in Tricky Clues before nailing the last two. Loved Recognizing the Country, country outlines is a strange wheelhouse for me.

FJ was one of those clues where I (correctly) went with the only thing that made sense.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Not only did I run the "some" ending category, I precalled two of the correct responses--winsome and toothsome.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $30200 (41 R, 3 W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

DJ was a bit rough. Negged on the $400 clue in Tricky Clues with "Vatican I" and didn't touch the rest of them with a 10-foot pole. Kicking myself for not connecting sharks -> Peter Benchley. One of the few positives: 4/4 on the $2000 clues. Also kicking myself for not realizing the only Founding Father old enough to have done something meaningful in 1754 was Franklin.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was worried Israel was going to pop up in country size category and then darn if it didn’t in FJ.

Was it just me or did Katie seem to be getting emotionally upset on the Avon DD?

It is rare that saying this is a good thing, but I was with TPH on FJ. It sounded like Exodus, so I went with it.

Those who are overly concerned about what other people do with their own money will be glad V3 bet the most she could on FJ and still be guaranteed to win.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

DBear wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:18 pm Easy peasy FJ, but can someone please explain guessing James?
Honestly, I thought "Exodus" was a bit too easy, but after just posting in reddit explaining that FJ!s are not necessarily harder than bottom row clues, I just went with it. My second guess involved about "fire" being the holy spirit and Pentecost, and guessing and/or remembering (correctly) that it was in Acts, but I figured that was too tangential. Maybe he was thinking something like that? When it doubt, keep it simple - plus we already had a Pentecost FJ! this season.

Two precalls in the "-some" category: winsome and gruesome.

I fell hard for the Mary Kay negbait. Knowing your timeline always helps - I was only about 80 years off from the founding of Mary Kay. I'd have guessed that Mary Kay was the 60s, but...the idea of pyramid marketing and getting that pink Cadillac was too strong for me.

Nice of the writers to include "watchin'" in the clue for (Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay - trying to subtly help avoid the whole gangster/gangsta issue by giving the abbreviated word.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:02 pm

I fell hard for the Mary Kay negbait. Knowing your timeline always helps - I was only about 80 years off from the founding of Mary Kay. I'd have guessed that Mary Kay was the 60s, but...the idea of pyramid marketing and getting that pink Cadillac was too strong for me.
The makeup category seemed inverted to me. The Avon DD was for me the easiest clue with animal testing not far behind.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Coryat: $33,600 (41R, 1W)
DD: 0/3 oof
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT:

One of my best Coryats of recent memory, but it all seems for naught with how poorly the DD's went for me.

If I would have landed on Beauty Brands, that would have been an easy $5 wager for me. I sadly blanked on the Benchley DD as my only miss of that category, and for some reason I saw the Salem witch trials in the clue, and came up with scarlet fever, don't ask me why.

Ran Recognizing the Country and The Television Will Be Revolutionized.

FJ was a WECIB for me.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

After a few Prozac-paced games, Veronica may be stepping up the pace :).

I thought FJ was a simple binary choice between Exodus and Revelation (properly spelt without an 's'). I didn't catch the "journey" TOM, but since it was in the quote wouldn't weight it too much, not as much as the "fire". I went with Exodus, as the more J! friendly message. James seems like a guess from someone not familiar with the inside of the Bible, but made a play on "King James" version. I couldn't fake a guess about any other religious literature - maybe it's high time the writers give us a Scientology clue.

Speaking of James, I'm not a James H. fanboy, but I cringe when Alex says "Jeopardy James". I can't imagine he wants to embrace that, it just seems icky to me :roll: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.