Your prediction for GOAT tonight Jan. 14

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Will Ken be GOAT after tonight's matches?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:14 pm

Yes, he will win the series tonight
54%
No, James will tie the series
32%
No, Brad will win tonight
15%

Total votes: 41

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Your prediction for GOAT tonight Jan. 14

Post by floridagator »

It could be over tonight! Will it? Please make your prediction.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MDCSWildcats86

Re: Your prediction for GOAT tonight Jan. 14

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

The last 4 clues in each game will be on the $200 line.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Spoiler
my prediction is for Ken to win tonight because as of last Friday, abc.com had regular programming on their schedule for Wednesday. They have since changed it to show GOAT lasting all 7 games
Total game show career losings = $171,522
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

I would like Brad to win the match tonight,
but would love for Ken to win it all the next night.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I think whatever the outcome, the next day's game thread should be started anyway, just to throw off those of us playing a day late. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
brick

Post by brick »

Has anyone noticed what time the new episode becomes available on Hulu?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

My big concern about Ken winning is I feel like it won't have settled the question.

If Brad wins, question settled. He's beaten Ken three times before and to have done it once more with the new guy in the mix is icing on the cake. Brad's the GOAT.

If James wins, question settled. He went up against the two best of the best and took them both down, combined. James is the GOAT.

But I feel like if Ken wins, all it will have proven is that (a) Ken is better than upstart James and (b) Ken has a chance to beat Brad when Brad is facing both Ken and James. We will still be asking, "How can Ken be the GOAT when Brad beat him all those other times?"
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:10 pm My big concern about Ken winning is I feel like it won't have settled the question.

If Brad wins, question settled. He's beaten Ken three times before and to have done it once more with the new guy in the mix is icing on the cake. Brad's the GOAT.

If James wins, question settled. He went up against the two best of the best and took them both down, combined. James is the GOAT.

But I feel like if Ken wins, all it will have proven is that (a) Ken is better than upstart James and (b) Ken has a chance to beat Brad when Brad is facing both Ken and James. We will still be asking, "How can Ken be the GOAT when Brad beat him all those other times?"
ABC wants to capitalize on the higher ratings, but I don’t see how another GOAT tournament makes any sense once we’ve crowned the one and only GOAT.

Maybe all those people who lost to James and Ken along the way will finally get to come back :lol:
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:32 pm Maybe all those people who lost to James and Ken along the way will finally get to come back :lol:
Ken winning GOAT is like having Jordan vs. Bird face-offs three times, Jordan winning all three face-offs, then putting LeBron in the mix and Bird winning. Bird is GOAT now? Really?
alamble

Post by alamble »

brick wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:56 pm Has anyone noticed what time the new episode becomes available on Hulu?
Typically it is 5AM eastern time.
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

This so much fun to watch. I hope it goes to the full seven games.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

It's kind of like the title of World's Fastest Human being given to the winner of the 100 meter dash at every Olympics. It doesn't mean forever, it just means "for now". Brad won the MDM to become Jeopardy "Master", the UTOC to become the Ultimate champion, Battle of the Decades confirmed his position, but if Ken wins here we can call him the Greatest of All time...for now. 1 or 3 or 5 years from now there will be another event, likely involving Ken and James, and probably Brad, and presumably some others, and we'll see who next takes the crown. The particular words used for marketing don't concern me that much.
brick

Post by brick »

alamble wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:45 pm
brick wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:56 pm Has anyone noticed what time the new episode becomes available on Hulu?
Typically it is 5AM eastern time.
Thank you.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:35 pm
Spoiler
my prediction is for Ken to win tonight because as of last Friday, abc.com had regular programming on their schedule for Wednesday. They have since changed it to show GOAT lasting all 7 games
Spoiler
I don't think you can go by that...
--
Drowning in the pool
a1srvng
Valued Contributor

Post by a1srvng »

If what you say is true, then, in a "Final" adios to James: "Shove it all!" Shove it James.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:57 pm It's kind of like the title of World's Fastest Human being given to the winner of the 100 meter dash at every Olympics. It doesn't mean forever, it just means "for now". Brad won the MDM to become Jeopardy "Master", the UTOC to become the Ultimate champion, Battle of the Decades confirmed his position, but if Ken wins here we can call him the Greatest of All time...for now. 1 or 3 or 5 years from now there will be another event, likely involving Ken and James, and probably Brad, and presumably some others, and we'll see who next takes the crown. The particular words used for marketing don't concern me that much.
So it's actually GOATFN. Somehow that does not roll off the tongue nearly as trippingly.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

ParrotRob wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:12 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
it's not as if I haven't caught shows spoiling themselves before...we'll see what happens. If I'm right, I caught them, if not, then I didn't.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:10 pm My big concern about Ken winning is I feel like it won't have settled the question.

I agree with this. That's why I'd rather have had Brad or James win.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Ken has proven he can do everything at Jeopardy... except beat Brad in a tournament. If he beats Brad, then to me the GOAT is decisively settled.

The arguments about how people change with time are reasonable, and perhaps this isn't Brad's prime. But he is still pretty close, given the team tournament last year.
alamble

Post by alamble »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:56 pm
ParrotRob wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:12 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
it's not as if I haven't caught shows spoiling themselves before...we'll see what happens. If I'm right, I caught them, if not, then I didn't.
Spoiler
ABC also ran a promo during last Wednesday's match touting the return of their full slate of Wednesday comedies *this week* - meaning, tomorrow - which likely prompted the change to the guide info. This thing is over tonight.