Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Volante »

So...if /when Megxit happens and Harry and Meghan leave the Royal Family, is he going to take her surname since he doesn't exactly have one? (Windsor is a placeholder, it doesn't count)

Harry Markle. Harry Markle-Windsor. Harry Windsor-Markle...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Rackme32 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:26 pm Ooooops, of course. Iran the wrong way with that one...
you ran so far away
you just ran
Total game show career losings = $171,522
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:39 pm So...if /when Megxit happens and Harry and Meghan leave the Royal Family, is he going to take her surname since he doesn't exactly have one? (Windsor is a placeholder, it doesn't count)

I vote for him becoming Harry Prince.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

FB_IMG_1578695776224.jpg
FB_IMG_1578695776224.jpg (188.08 KiB) Viewed 6148 times
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Aw, we won't hurt you. Come on. Lean in a little closer....
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:48 pm Aw, we won't hurt you. Come on. Lean in a little closer....
That might work better if you didn’t have a knife in one hand, a fork in the other, and a napkin tied around your neck.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:13 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:48 pm Aw, we won't hurt you. Come on. Lean in a little closer....
That might work better if you didn’t have a knife in one hand, a fork in the other, and a napkin tied around your neck.
That's just my natural coloring. Look closer and you'll see. Honest.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Losing in the palyoffs always sucks; being surrounded by jubilant 49ers fans probably doesn't help. Sorry Mark.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:14 pm Losing in the palyoffs always sucks; being surrounded by jubilant 49ers fans probably doesn't help. Sorry Mark.
Thanks. With 48 seasons of disappointment I'm used to it. I'd rather the Vikings lose today to the local team instead of losing in Green Bay next week.

Making the playoffs and beating New Orleans is a pretty good season by Vikings standards and it was clear the 49ers were the better team.

The 49ers receivers had some clutch 3rd down catches while Marcus Sherels could not do a basic fielding of a punt. He's been outdoors against Chi & GB so a little Bay Area breeze is no excuse. I'm 56 and could successfully fair catch and hold a punt or kickoff in Santa Clara conditions.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

At least you aren’t a Ravens fan tonight.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:50 pm At least you aren’t a Ravens fan tonight.
More like Baltiless, amirite?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Ravens with the glass jaw. Unreal. I thought for sure this year's Super Bowl would be some combination of Rodgers/Brees vs Mahomes/Jackson. Could still get GB/KC, but with a round and a half to go, Tannehill vs Garoppolo is still in play :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

State Farm is pulling for a GB/KC Super Bowl.

Vikings’ OC is the newest sacrificial lamb in Cleveland.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Damn it, American Airlines...why did that flight I was watching have to go from $335 to $390 in the eight hours it took me to get home?! I was planning on getting it!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Volante wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:39 pm So...if /when Megxit happens and Harry and Meghan leave the Royal Family, is he going to take her surname since he doesn't exactly have one? (Windsor is a placeholder, it doesn't count)

His official surname is actually Mountbatten-Windsor - that's been the family name for a few decades. Their child is Archie Mountbatten-Windsor.

Not that I would have a problem with him becoming Harry Markle.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:02 pm Damn it, American Airlines...why did that flight I was watching have to go from $335 to $390 in the eight hours it took me to get home?! I was planning on getting it!
Did you check the price on the same device both times? I have heard (but maybe just from conspiracy nuts) that some companies and booking sites try to game you by upping the price the second time you check. They keep track of this via cookies and IP addresses and such. The goal is to make you feel that the deal is getting away from you and you should close it now before things get worse. It might be worth trying a different device--one that isn't logged into Google, to be safe, and maybe in a private browser window--and checking the price on kayak.com. Also, you should encase your laptop in aluminum foil, shiny side out.
Volante

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:17 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:02 pm Damn it, American Airlines...why did that flight I was watching have to go from $335 to $390 in the eight hours it took me to get home?! I was planning on getting it!
Did you check the price on the same device both times? I have heard (but maybe just from conspiracy nuts) that some companies and booking sites try to game you by upping the price the second time you check. They keep track of this via cookies and IP addresses and such. The goal is to make you feel that the deal is getting away from you and you should close it now before things get worse. It might be worth trying a different device--one that isn't logged into Google, to be safe, and maybe in a private browser window--and checking the price on kayak.com. Also, you should encase your laptop in aluminum foil, shiny side out.
I tried that, and directly at the airline, but no go, and now the original is also up to 390. The weirdest bit is Google's flight tracker has no record of a dip to 335 in their chart. So frustrating.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

(moving angry penguin rant from daily game thread, lol...)
floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:30 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:15 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:34 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:49 pmI NHO "A Wrinkle in Time" until lately, I guess it's a movie or something. I will give myself an "OK Boomer".
---------------
* Not that they called us that back then.** I was a married adult with a kid on the way by the time my generation got a label. I didn't even start identifying as Generation X until recently because I remember the early 90s when the term came into common use and it was clearly talking about people at least 5 years younger than I was. (I was born in 1965.) But lately I've realized I really do fit the demographic as the first generation to get screwed over by the Boomers and then ignored by them as they wage war against their doppleganger, the Millennials.
So how did you "get screwed over by the boomers"?
When Xers were in school, teachers were laid off, programs cut, and even schools closed after the massive wave of boomers.

When Xers got to work, every position they wanted to be promoted into was filled with a boomer who wasn't going anywhere.

Male Xers who try to look for a mate 2-3 years younger find women are in short supply. (This same problem happens to boomer women trying to find a mate 2-3 years older.)

When Xers go to the doctor, they wait in line behind boomers.

When Xers try to buy real estate, they find boomers bought it much more cheaply than they can.

Do I need to say anything about pensions and Social Security?
I agree completely with the Penguin about the generational abuse heaped down from my fellow Boomers, but I take it to be more of a one-percenter driven agenda. The sustainable solution is to end the generational wealth cycle, which, ironically, is yet one more insult to Gen X. (When it's finally your turn, we change the rules :( ) . My short list is:

1) Confiscatory Estate taxes above $5(ish) million per recipient or $20(ish)M per estate. Solution for the High Net Worth individuals? SPEND IT and boost the economy, or gift it to your heirs (at maximum tax rates). Consumers are 70% of the economy and it's time for the investor class to contribute instead of take take take. No more step up in basis, 95 year trademarks, etc..

2) Medicare for all. And get some pressure on the Industrial-Medical complex to provide cheaper health care with better outcomes.

3) My favorite - MEANS TEST for Social Security. It was never insurance, it was never an investment, it has always been a tax on wage earners. Politicians and fearmongers have made it impossible to identify it as the tax on poor people that it has been. My lifetime of contributions paid for my elders and if I don't need the fun money then no younger person should pay for it.

Anyhow, I don't have the ability to get real wonky, but these are my brain waves. My regrets for the rigged system against the PenguinX generation, but in response to Floridagators' short list,

I didn't steal your women!
(and you can go ahead of me at the doctor's office)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:08 pm
3) My favorite - MEANS TEST for Social Security. It was never insurance, it was never an investment, it has always been a tax on wage earners. Politicians and fearmongers have made it impossible to identify it as the tax on poor people that it has been. My lifetime of contributions paid for my elders and if I don't need the fun money then no younger person should pay for it.
Sorry, but that's just plain wrong (even though it's been promulgated as truth). Social Security has never been a pyramid scheme such as you describe and in fact remains solvent. What's happened is that Congress has dipped into the SSA fund repeatedly to pay for initiatives without raising taxes. It is true that there is a projection of insolvency in the future, but the current model has worked OK for 85 years. It is true that payroll tax is regressive but Social Security was designed as a government-run insurance program for wage earners.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Meh. Chase Field's introduced a clear bag policy. I need to go shopping...