Friday, January 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BESTSELLING AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Now in her 70s, this author splits her time between Paris & San Francisco, often writing 20 to 22 hours a day on an old typewriter

John Cuevas: 10600-7801=2799
Heather Nelson: 9200-1401=7799 (New Champ)
Ashwin Monian: 6000-1=5999

Correct response:
Spoiler
Danielle Steel (John – Ephron) (Heather – Mary Higgins Clark) (Ashwin – Marie)

Daily Doubles
John: 1200+1200
Ashwin: 1400-1400
John: 10200-4000

Coryats
John: 14200
Heather: 9200
Ashwin: 7400

Combined: 30,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
John: 7400
Heather: 3200
Ashwin: 1400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice run by John in HOLLYWOOD & LINE for 3000 to the good. What John really needed was the +4000 on the DD3 he missed that cost him the lock. That's basic art and as Alex acknowledged, Heather knew it.

I suspected John was not for long at the champs's spot even if he won today as Aventine, Caelian and the other 5 all listed going TS had me doubting the champ's widespread chops. There were other strange stumpers that should not get by the panel.

Today the FJ! wager by Heather worked out fine while on another day 3rd could have solved it to pass her.

The FJ! category had me try some standard precalls of Grisham, King, Patterson and for fun I added a 4th I see all the time, Kinney.

The FJ! clue had me off to the races as soon as I saw "her" and "San Francisco" for a home field advantage. I was done writing before the music began and when I took the clue in for its entirety I was certain I had it. During think time I wondered if anyone would give the surname 3 Es while also realizing the clue was no gimme in opening itself to a wide array of possible guesses. Including no longer living with John's miss.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Owning a second-hand book shop many years ago, I was bombarded with this woman's books, day after day, making it an easy get. Bonehead wager by Heather, but she wins anyway.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Somehow I happened to know that exact thing about that exact author, despite generally not being the greatest at literature categories.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

IKEA NAMES $800: This item that you often need to buy at checkout for $1.50 is called Frakta

I could not laugh as much as I wanted to when Ashwin guessed hot dog and John guessed water since I had guessed meatballs on this $600 clue: Alkalisk is the name for these sold at IKEA

Bourne author and Tahiti painter were the two that I thought a champ for an extended run should get.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Somehow I got the solve simply by eliminating the other candidate in my head who I presume still lives full time in New Orleans. 22 hours a day of writing? I hope nonconsecutive days. Now that I think about it, I guess I've done that a few times in the past few years, when on deadline. But not on a typewriter!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:55 pm Bourne author and Tahiti painter were the two that I thought a champ for an extended run should get.
And the 7 Hills.

I figured writing 20 to 22 hours a day, it must be someone quite prolific and Danielle Steele was the most prolific one I could think of. The rest of the clue meant nothing to me.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I agree that John was underwhelming today, but I wonder if he would have done better if it were not the last game of the taping session and his third game. But the seven hills of Rome and the Pieta seemed to be pretty much gimmes.

It seems that Heather could have afforded to bet a little bit more to cover Ashwin's doubled score, but no harm, no foul, as Alex says.

I had no clue on FJ!. Gertrude Stein wouldn't leave my mind despite my repeatedly telling her that she's long dead.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $34,200 (45R, 0W)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Denmark, hasty pudding, Robert Ludlum, seven hills of Rome, Ocho Rios, Neil Sedaka, Pietà (DD), Paul Gauguin

+1 on being surprised with some of the Lach Trash today.

FJ stab in the dark pays off! I started writing Danielle Steele, crossed out the first name figuring it couldn’t be right, then couldn’t come up with anything else so finished writing it down, and lo and behold...

Honestly, though, the highlight of my evening was solving the Wheel bonus puzzle from _ _ _ _ _ / _ND / _ _R_ (Phrase / RSTLN E DCH O)
Spoiler
FUZZY AND WARM
Last edited by True North on Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Judges:. nonconformist for insubordinate? :?:
We had a Monty Python clue just after Terry Jones died.
Was hoping 'Neil Before Me' would have a Neil Peart question. 8-)
No idea for FJ. Margaret Atwood just to have something. :(
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I ended up with Nora Roberts, which was not an awful guess...did consider Steel but thought she was younger. :oops:

Glad to see Kacey Musgraves get more love from the J! writers than mainstream Nashville *runs for cover*.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:04 am I suspected John was not for long at the champs's spot even if he won today as Aventine, Caelian and the other 5 all listed going TS had me doubting the champ's widespread chops. There were other strange stumpers that should not get by the panel.
It seems as if any time someone wins with about $20k, a poster on Reddit will always immediately predict "5-day champ!" (I don't blame them, it's exciting to think about, but still). John was a good player for sure, but today's game demonstrated why those predictions might have been a bit overblown this time. In any case, congrats to John on a strong 2-day haul and to Heather as well on tonight's win.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:59 am Somehow I happened to know that exact thing about that exact author, despite generally not being the greatest at literature categories.
Whereas I happened to know exactly nothing about that author, despite generally not being the greatest at literature categories (at least recent-ish best sellers). And there goes my otherwise perfect FJ week.

poop
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:03 pm I agree that John was underwhelming today, but I wonder if he would have done better if it were not the last game of the taping session and his third game. But the seven hills of Rome and the Pieta seemed to be pretty much gimmes.

It seems that Heather could have afforded to bet a little bit more to cover Ashwin's doubled score, but no harm, no foul, as Alex says.

I had no clue on FJ!. Gertrude Stein wouldn't leave my mind despite my repeatedly telling her that she's long dead.
According to poets.org, GS died in 1946
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $35,200 (44R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

LT: Ludlum, Denmark, Bellow, Gauguin, seven hills of Rome, cerebrospinal, (Pietà)

6400 in LT plus the FJ solve = fourth podium victory.

Forehead slap on Three Mile Island. That would have made an excellent FJ clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:13 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:03 pm I agree that John was underwhelming today, but I wonder if he would have done better if it were not the last game of the taping session and his third game. But the seven hills of Rome and the Pieta seemed to be pretty much gimmes.

According to poets.org, GS died in 1946
But she'd be 145 right now, so that's like two people in their 70's. :)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Post Haste and surprisingly, Geographic Numbers. Even more surprisingly, 4/5 in the Brush with Death category (all but $2,000).

0/5 in Literary Characters. NHO the ones named at $200.

Strangely, only $2,000 in Neil Before Me.

"Uptown Funk" is one of my favorite songs, but I completely blanked on Mark Ronson's name.

I saw absolutely no way whatsoever to figure this one out. You could've spotted me "Danielle" and I still would have missed this one.

Lach Trash: Hasty pudding, seven hills of Rome, Ocho Rios, Paul Gauguin, reverberation. Also got the Three Mile Island and Pieta DDs.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got spoiled on FJ, but it's easy for me to assume I wouldn't have gotten it. I suppose I'll have to accidentally stumble on the clue 7+ years down the line to be sure, like my experience described in this post.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

True North wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:07 pm
Honestly, though, the highlight of my evening was solving the Wheel bonus puzzle from _ _ _ _ _ / _ND / _ _R_ (Phrase / RSTLN E DCH O)
Spoiler
FUZZY AND WARM
For some reason I reflexively clicked the spoiler about a minute before the bonus round came up. No idea what made me do it.

I doubt I'd have gotten that one, honestly.