Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:33 pm

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ParrotRob » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:09 am

talkingaway wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:50 am
I loved the "Can I change my wager?" question - always nice to see some personality.
I almost spewed my coffee this morning reading through the hilarious comments on the J! Facebook page. So many people thought she was serious and lambasted her - "how can she qualify for the show without even knowing the rules?!" - until Audrey herself chimed in with a very polite "it was a joke". Much more polite than I would have been!
--
Drowning in the pool

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:52 am

talkingaway wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:50 am
I paused the game when the "greater than" category started - for the life of me, I could not figure out what was "greater" about it. Basically an awards winner category. But cheers to the writers for an interesting board. Jeers to having 10 unrevealed clues.
I enjoy a clever set of categories as much as the next person but I think that group is an example of something that sounds good on paper but falls short in reality. The contestants seemed a little confused while calling out clues and I think that is why the game had a clunky feel and so many unseen clues.

Got FJ almost immediately and am slightly surprised at some of the non-cheese responses here.

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:09 pm

ParrotRob wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:09 am
talkingaway wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:50 am
I loved the "Can I change my wager?" question - always nice to see some personality.
I almost spewed my coffee this morning reading through the hilarious comments on the J! Facebook page. So many people thought she was serious and lambasted her - "how can she qualify for the show without even knowing the rules?!" - until Audrey herself chimed in with a very polite "it was a joke". Much more polite than I would have been!
I saw her post a bit in reddit, I think. I hadn't watched the show, so I didn't really pay attention. Kudos to her! She was entertaining, IMO, and had no reason to be ashamed. Her wrong responses weren't that bad: Semi-obvious neg that happens once in awhile (Rio), a DD on an Indian tribe whose TOM I don't know because I haven't studied their regions (Nez Pierce), a wrong response that I actually matched stupidly (Route 66 - thought that was the only famous big road), one that I got right but wound up being a TS ("Wright" for Hunter Thompson - which Wright was it?), a mispronunciation (Preeum for Priam), and a picky wordplay that I thought had a shot at a reversal but I see now was incorrect (transplanetary vs interplanetary).

She played well, and all those errors I could see myself making live. And she's brave to come on the Internet, with all the stuff that festers sometimes. I don't know if I'd have the heart to do so, even after a win.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4643
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:37 pm

It wasn’t a mispronunciation, it was more she didn’t remember what the word was, she said it as if she thought it was Piram, not Priam. certainly not the worst mistake!

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8485
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:55 pm

talkingaway wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:09 pm
a DD on an Indian tribe whose TOM I don't know because I haven't studied their regions (Nez Pierce)
Nez Perce. May not make a difference as it literally means 'pierced nose', but best not to change the vowel sound just to be safe.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:36 pm

47 R (Have heard of Chadwick Boseman and Mark Harmon. James Harden does sound familiar. Could not rack those facts up.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Sacraments, (Panama Canal), Chichen Itza, Sao Paulo, Royal Caribbean, (Nez Perce), I-10, Interplanetary, Cowboy, Hunter S. Thompson, Charles Guiteau, Priam, Cyclops
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 131.5k games
Alpaca Farm: 1446 quizzes

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 492
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:02 pm

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:36 pm
47 R (Have heard of Chadwick Boseman and Mark Harmon. James Harden does sound familiar. Could not rack those facts up.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Sacraments, (Panama Canal), Chichen Itza, Sao Paulo, Royal Caribbean, (Nez Perce), I-10, Interplanetary, Cowboy, Hunter S. Thompson, Charles Guiteau, Priam, Cyclops
What just ran through my head:

"LSV only got 47 right? ........... Oh yeah, only 50 clues were played."

User avatar
twelvefootboy
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 1663
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:49 pm

I've fallen behind on the DVR and decided to just play the FJ from the board. I did not know that Camembert was the name of a town but I knew that the stinkiest cheese I've ever smelled came from Normandy area and was called Camembert. It was very much like limburger in smelling fetid and rotten. An appreciative customer from Normandy sent some genuine local stuff to our company and we opened it at our company picnic. I was the only one willing to taste it and a sample was enough :o .
Without this personal experience, no way I WAG this FJ, I'd probably have guessed Roquefort. I figure it to poll below 70%.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

Philliesfan02
Contributor
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:34 am

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Philliesfan02 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:03 am

Ugly game for contestants, good game for me personally.

I have started tracking my correct responses, since I c have been improving, and since I'm only 17 I might be good enough to make it when I'm older.

Only 6 right in J! round, worth $4,600

10 right in DJ!, worth $12,400

Ran 14-Letter Words.

Knew they were going for a French cheese other than Brie, but i've NHO Camembert, and just wrote Gouda to have something.

LT: Houston Rockets, Chichen Itza, cyclops, interplanetary, Royal Caribbean

User avatar
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:27 pm

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by RobW » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:26 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:37 pm
It wasn’t a mispronunciation, it was more she didn’t remember what the word was, she said it as if she thought it was Piram, not Priam. certainly not the worst mistake!
I can report that this was a flashcard typo. The most painful kind of miss!
(Galamiel cost me $1600 for precisely the same reason, so I know the feeling well...)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6911
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:35 pm

I'm still trying to figure out how Hawaii has Interstates.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1933
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:40 pm

RobW wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:26 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:37 pm
It wasn’t a mispronunciation, it was more she didn’t remember what the word was, she said it as if she thought it was Piram, not Priam. certainly not the worst mistake!
I can report that this was a flashcard typo. The most painful kind of miss!
(Galamiel cost me $1600 for precisely the same reason, so I know the feeling well...)
Off topic, but I'm disappointed to discover that there was a clue about "the Rob-meister" in your game, but you didn't get it.

audreythetastetester
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:22 pm

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by audreythetastetester » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:56 pm

Not sure if anyone will see this since the episode has already aired a few days ago, but just wanted to respond with my own reflections!

It was an incredibly bad game. We had watched all 4 games earlier that day, and I felt like our game was significantly harder. The first round was just complete garbage. When Alex read them out, I'm pretty sure I heard an audience member gasp. During the first commercial break, Alex joked that the whole thing just wanted to make him take drugs and burn the game to the ground. Everybody was so confused.

I was doing pretty well, neck and neck with the reigning champ, until the DD that I did not recover from. Why did I wager so much money? I had watched the Monday-Thursday episodes, gotten like 90% of the answers, including all of the DD's except just one, plus history was one of my stronger categories. I had studied SO MUCH for this thing. It was a big bet, but I would still be in 2nd place. But the DD felt pretty hard for $1000. Or maybe it was because I was under pressure.

But after I heard the clue, my whole mind just began to panic and I cracked a stupid joke (IT WAS A JOKE). I went for the hardest questions because I wanted to catch up quickly, and because I had spent the first three games sitting right next to Michelle and felt like I knew more answers than she did when we were playing along in the audience. She was faster on the buzzer though. Matt was also consistently beating me during the buzzer practices earlier that day, so I felt like I had no option but to go for the clues at the bottom of the board and hope they didn't know it but I did.

I wouldn't have buzzed in for most of post-DD had I been of a saner mind, but I was enveloped by anxiety. I told myself I wasn't going to buzz in at all unless I was at least 80% sure that I was right, but I ended up making up the word "transplanetary" while I was saying it aloud (at least it was close!). The editors cut it all, but after Alex read the clue, there would be silence from us until I tried to do a hail Mary at the last second and then... miss. Since they edited out all the hesitation and my scared expressions, I looked a lot more calm as I was saying these wild guesses that I was only 0-10% confident in. I don't think I was even listening to Alex or reading the clues at that point. It was like an episode of Celebrity Jeopardy on SNL and complete amateur hour.

Glad somebody picked up on why I said "Who is Richard Wright?" on the Gonzofest/Hunter S. Thompson clue! I only caught the tail-end of Alex saying "native son" so I just buzzed in. It did not at all fit in with the rest of the clue, but again, it was a wild guess from a panicked mind. The sad thing is I host a trivia night, and actually HAD a Hunter S. Thompson question just like it a few weeks prior, so I knew the answer.

To be honest, I was relieved when they kicked me off for FJ to put me out of my misery. I was on track to break the record for the lowest Jeopardy score ever, and probably would have, had I not done decently pre-DD. I always thought Jeopardy was a game of buzzer speed, knowledge, and recall time. But really, ONLY AFTER IT FILMED, did I really see that Jeopardy is also a game of controlling nerves and focus, which I had a big fat F in.

All in all, this week was the first time I watched the show since filming, and honestly, I'm probably never going to watch Jeopardy again. The win for Michelle was so incredibly deserved: she had buzzer speed, knowledge, recall time, controlled nerves AND focus. I imploded in a fashion that's probably not been seen on Jeopardy before, and hopefully since. I feel like my antics completely derailed the episode, when it was Matt's and especially Michelle's time to shine, and I have no idea why I thought it would be great to scour the internet only to read hateful and sexual/fetishizing comments about my age, appearance, supposed lack of intelligence, and even sexual prowess (?). At the same time, I've gotten so many nice, supportive comments from people, and that has been great too! But just so overwhelming overall, especially considering the polarizing reaction I got. When you're experiencing a situation that few others have experienced and you've never experienced before, you don't really know how to deal with it. Thankfully, the Jeopardy alumni community and random strangers has been so kind to me.

I accept the fact that I was bad. I agree with everybody who has said/commented/tweeted as such! But it's not fair to project and call me a dumb bitch, retard, cheater, etc. after seeing me on screen for 20 minutes on what was potentially both the best and worst day of my life. The level of condescension and lack of empathy I received when I was feeling at my most vulnerable, humiliated, anxious, stressed has not been ideal. But it only really gets painful when I see the nastiest comments come from women who tweeted about the importance of feminism and mental health (don't tear down wOmEn!) literally a few days before, as their actions are actually ruining mine. NGL I cried a bit yesterday and today.

But luckily I'm just a contestant from a game show that has thousands of episodes and tens of thousands of contestants. I'll be forgotten soon, if not already forgotten. The episode has limited re-watch value to me but I'm happy to see that people found me at least entertaining. I ended up learning a lot about US history (but not enough apparently) and culture that I didn't know before since I grew up in Asia.

EDIT: Also Rob Worman is awesome! Yes, he is indeed a friend and he showed me this discussion board. Happy to contribute!
Last edited by audreythetastetester on Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 492
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:19 pm

alietr wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:35 pm
I'm still trying to figure out how Hawaii has Interstates.
Still awaiting funds for the tunnel to California.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3688
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:44 pm

mas3cf wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:19 pm
alietr wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:35 pm
I'm still trying to figure out how Hawaii has Interstates.
Still awaiting funds for the tunnel to California.
In Bojack Horseman the bridge has already been built. But you don't even want to know about the traffic!... :)

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:12 pm

alietr wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:35 pm
I'm still trying to figure out how Hawaii has Interstates.
Not sure if joking, but it's paid for by federal money, so follows (almost) the same naming conventions, even if it doesn't make sense.
Won some of Ben Stein's money, some of Roger Lodge's, some of Chris Harrison's. None of Alex Trebek's.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9464
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:27 pm

audreythetastetester wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:56 pm
Not sure if anyone will see this since the episode has already aired a few days ago, but just wanted to respond with my own reflections!

It was an incredibly bad game. We had watched all 4 games earlier that day, and I felt like our game was significantly harder. The first round was just complete garbage. When Alex read them out, I'm pretty sure I heard an audience member gasp. During the first commercial break, Alex joked that the whole thing just wanted to make him take drugs and burn the game to the ground. Everybody was so confused.

I was doing pretty well, neck and neck with the reigning champ, until the DD that I did not recover from. Why did I wager so much money? I had watched the Monday-Thursday episodes, gotten like 90% of the answers, including all of the DD's except just one, plus history was one of my stronger categories. I had studied SO MUCH for this thing. It was a big bet, but I would still be in 2nd place. But the DD felt pretty hard for $1000. Or maybe it was because I was under pressure.

But after I heard the clue, my whole mind just began to panic and I cracked a stupid joke (IT WAS A JOKE). I went for the hardest questions because I wanted to catch up quickly, and because I had spent the first three games sitting right next to Michelle and felt like I knew more answers than she did when we were playing along in the audience. She was faster on the buzzer though. Matt was also consistently beating me during the buzzer practices earlier that day, so I felt like I had no option but to go for the clues at the bottom of the board and hope they didn't know it but I did.

I wouldn't have buzzed in for most of post-DD had I been of a saner mind, but I was enveloped by anxiety. I told myself I wasn't going to buzz in at all unless I was at least 80% sure that I was right, but I ended up making up the word "transplanetary" while I was saying it aloud (at least it was close!). The editors cut it all, but after Alex read the clue, there would be silence from us until I tried to do a hail Mary at the last second and then... miss. Since they edited out all the hesitation and my scared expressions, I looked a lot more calm as I was saying these wild guesses that I was only 0-10% confident in. I don't think I was even listening to Alex or reading the clues at that point. It was like an episode of Celebrity Jeopardy on SNL and complete amateur hour.

Glad somebody picked up on why I said "Who is Richard Wright?" on the Gonzofest/Hunter S. Thompson clue! I only caught the tail-end of Alex saying "native son" so I just buzzed in. It did not at all fit in with the rest of the clue, but again, it was a wild guess from a panicked mind. The sad thing is I host a trivia night, and actually HAD a Hunter S. Thompson question just like it a few weeks prior, so I knew the answer.

To be honest, I was relieved when they kicked me off for FJ to put me out of my misery. I was on track to break the record for the lowest Jeopardy score ever, and probably would have, had I not done decently pre-DD. I always thought Jeopardy was a game of buzzer speed, knowledge, and recall time. But really, ONLY AFTER IT FILMED, did I really see that Jeopardy is also a game of controlling nerves and focus, which I had a big fat F in.

All in all, this week was the first time I watched the show since filming, and honestly, I'm probably never going to watch Jeopardy again. The win for Michelle was so incredibly deserved: she had buzzer speed, knowledge, recall time, controlled nerves AND focus. I imploded in a fashion that's probably not been seen on Jeopardy before, and hopefully since. I feel like my antics completely derailed the episode, when it was Matt's and especially her time to shine, and I have no idea why I thought it would be great to scour the internet only to read hateful and sexual/fetishizing comments about my age, appearance, supposed lack of intelligence, and even sexual prowess (?). At the same time, I've gotten so many nice, supportive comments from people, and that has been great too! But just so overwhelming overall, especially considering the polarizing reaction I got. When you're experiencing a situation that few others have experienced and you've never experienced before, you don't really know how to deal with it. Thankfully, the Jeopardy alumni community and random strangers has been so kind to me.

I accept the fact that I was bad. I agree with everybody who has said/commented/tweeted as such! But it's not fair to project and call me a dumb bitch, retard, cheater, etc. after seeing me on screen for 20 minutes on what was potentially both the best and worst day of my life. The level of condescension and lack of empathy I received when I was feeling at my most vulnerable, humiliated, anxious, stressed has been hard to bear. Somehow it feels worse when I see the nastiest comments come from people who tweeted about the importance of mental health and feminism (don't tear down wOmEn!) literally a few days before, as their actions are actually ruining mine. NGL I cried a bit yesterday and today.

But luckily I'm just a contestant from a game show that has thousands of episodes and tens of thousands of contestants. I'll be forgotten soon, if not already forgotten. The episode has limited re-watch value to me but I'm happy to see that people found me at least entertaining. I ended up learning a lot about US history (but not enough apparently) and culture that I didn't know before since I grew up in Asia.
You made it on the show. Just about all of the people commenting about you didn’t. Screw them.

ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:33 pm

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ParrotRob » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:47 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:27 pm
audreythetastetester wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:56 pm
Not sure if anyone will see this since the episode has already aired a few days ago, but just wanted to respond with my own reflections!

It was an incredibly bad game. We had watched all 4 games earlier that day, and I felt like our game was significantly harder. The first round was just complete garbage. When Alex read them out, I'm pretty sure I heard an audience member gasp. During the first commercial break, Alex joked that the whole thing just wanted to make him take drugs and burn the game to the ground. Everybody was so confused.

I was doing pretty well, neck and neck with the reigning champ, until the DD that I did not recover from. Why did I wager so much money? I had watched the Monday-Thursday episodes, gotten like 90% of the answers, including all of the DD's except just one, plus history was one of my stronger categories. I had studied SO MUCH for this thing. It was a big bet, but I would still be in 2nd place. But the DD felt pretty hard for $1000. Or maybe it was because I was under pressure.

But after I heard the clue, my whole mind just began to panic and I cracked a stupid joke (IT WAS A JOKE). I went for the hardest questions because I wanted to catch up quickly, and because I had spent the first three games sitting right next to Michelle and felt like I knew more answers than she did when we were playing along in the audience. She was faster on the buzzer though. Matt was also consistently beating me during the buzzer practices earlier that day, so I felt like I had no option but to go for the clues at the bottom of the board and hope they didn't know it but I did.

I wouldn't have buzzed in for most of post-DD had I been of a saner mind, but I was enveloped by anxiety. I told myself I wasn't going to buzz in at all unless I was at least 80% sure that I was right, but I ended up making up the word "transplanetary" while I was saying it aloud (at least it was close!). The editors cut it all, but after Alex read the clue, there would be silence from us until I tried to do a hail Mary at the last second and then... miss. Since they edited out all the hesitation and my scared expressions, I looked a lot more calm as I was saying these wild guesses that I was only 0-10% confident in. I don't think I was even listening to Alex or reading the clues at that point. It was like an episode of Celebrity Jeopardy on SNL and complete amateur hour.

Glad somebody picked up on why I said "Who is Richard Wright?" on the Gonzofest/Hunter S. Thompson clue! I only caught the tail-end of Alex saying "native son" so I just buzzed in. It did not at all fit in with the rest of the clue, but again, it was a wild guess from a panicked mind. The sad thing is I host a trivia night, and actually HAD a Hunter S. Thompson question just like it a few weeks prior, so I knew the answer.

To be honest, I was relieved when they kicked me off for FJ to put me out of my misery. I was on track to break the record for the lowest Jeopardy score ever, and probably would have, had I not done decently pre-DD. I always thought Jeopardy was a game of buzzer speed, knowledge, and recall time. But really, ONLY AFTER IT FILMED, did I really see that Jeopardy is also a game of controlling nerves and focus, which I had a big fat F in.

All in all, this week was the first time I watched the show since filming, and honestly, I'm probably never going to watch Jeopardy again. The win for Michelle was so incredibly deserved: she had buzzer speed, knowledge, recall time, controlled nerves AND focus. I imploded in a fashion that's probably not been seen on Jeopardy before, and hopefully since. I feel like my antics completely derailed the episode, when it was Matt's and especially her time to shine, and I have no idea why I thought it would be great to scour the internet only to read hateful and sexual/fetishizing comments about my age, appearance, supposed lack of intelligence, and even sexual prowess (?). At the same time, I've gotten so many nice, supportive comments from people, and that has been great too! But just so overwhelming overall, especially considering the polarizing reaction I got. When you're experiencing a situation that few others have experienced and you've never experienced before, you don't really know how to deal with it. Thankfully, the Jeopardy alumni community and random strangers has been so kind to me.

I accept the fact that I was bad. I agree with everybody who has said/commented/tweeted as such! But it's not fair to project and call me a dumb bitch, retard, cheater, etc. after seeing me on screen for 20 minutes on what was potentially both the best and worst day of my life. The level of condescension and lack of empathy I received when I was feeling at my most vulnerable, humiliated, anxious, stressed has been hard to bear. Somehow it feels worse when I see the nastiest comments come from people who tweeted about the importance of mental health and feminism (don't tear down wOmEn!) literally a few days before, as their actions are actually ruining mine. NGL I cried a bit yesterday and today.

But luckily I'm just a contestant from a game show that has thousands of episodes and tens of thousands of contestants. I'll be forgotten soon, if not already forgotten. The episode has limited re-watch value to me but I'm happy to see that people found me at least entertaining. I ended up learning a lot about US history (but not enough apparently) and culture that I didn't know before since I grew up in Asia.
You made it on the show. Just about all of the people commenting about you didn’t. Screw them.
Exactly. I've seen some of the comments about you on various social media. Just consider the source. Half of those idiots can't even SPELL a decent insult. Don't let it get to you
--
Drowning in the pool

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3688
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:48 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:27 pm


You made it on the show. Just about all of the people commenting about you didn’t. Screw them.
Agreed. Thanks to Audrey for letting us in on her thoughts. Audrey, I was impressed by your poise in making that joke in that moment. It was a way of rising above. I'm sorry if it didn't feel that way to you, and that some people have no humor...

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2527
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:01 pm

audreythetastetester wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:56 pm
Not sure if anyone will see this since the episode has already aired a few days ago, but just wanted to respond with my own reflections!
What a game! Yes, it was a bit of a train wreck, but you came off like a very smart, fun person who flubbed a few clues and just couldn’t recover. Sorry it didn’t go your way! That was a tough DD imo. Don’t feel too bad about it. You’re right to observe that it’s only a game show. I’m sure you imagined it would go differently, but how cool that you got to have this experience.

Thanks for posting here. Love the green jumpsuit

Post Reply