Future events for the rest of Season 36

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Future events for the rest of Season 36

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

We already had the Tournament of Champions this past November; and then we had GOAT last month (which by the way aired in primetime and thus wasn't part of the syndicated version). This morning I just found out that the College Championship will be pushed back April 6-17 because of GOAT. So I'm guessing there's going to be no tournaments held this month; the Teachers Tournament will most likely be held in May. And I didn't hear anything about a Teen Tournament; but perhaps they can hold one in June like last season. Last but not least, will there be a Power Players Week at DAR Constitution Hall as 2020 is an election year?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: Future events for the rest of Season 36

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:16 pm This morning I just found out that the College Championship will be pushed back April 6-17 because of GOAT.
Source for this, please?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

That doesn't say that the tournament was pushed back because of GOAT, though.

(FWIW: April 6-17 has been on the calendar for weeks at https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz#events - I was asking for a source stating that the tournament was moved specifically because of GOAT.)
Andy Saunders
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

Nope, no idea as to whether GOAT pushed it back.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

OK, I remember reading it somewhere but I don't remember where exactly (possibly Reddit or Buy A Vowel Boards). But now I can conclude that the CC being held in April is not because of the GOAT tournament, but because the tests to make it on to the show wrapped up at towards the end of January. If it were to air this month, testing would've taken place this past fall (like October or November).
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:09 pm If it were to air this month, testing would've taken place this past fall (like October or November).
College Championship testing did take place in early October (source: I took that test). Auditions were in November or early December I believe (did not advance that far). We will not hear a definitive reason about why this is airing in April unless one of the players says so, if they even know at all.

As for any celeb games/DC visit, I think we found out about the 2016 road trip to DC in early March ahead of April taping and May airdates. If shows on location are planned once again, I suspect that is when we'll find out.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

threearruda wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:45 pm As for any celeb games/DC visit, I think we found out about the 2016 road trip to DC in early March ahead of April taping and May airdates. If shows on location are planned once again, I suspect that is when we'll find out.
With Alex's health, I would put the chances of the show going on location somewhere incredibly close to nil. Also, the show has scheduled Culver City tapings for the rest of the season (source: the Get Tickets link on the website).
Andy Saunders
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

threearruda wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:45 pm College Championship testing did take place in early October (source: I took that test). Auditions were in November or early December I believe (did not advance that far). We will not hear a definitive reason about why this is airing in April unless one of the players says so, if they even know at all.
I suspect there are probably lots of factors that go into when particular special events air, regardless of when they tape. I don't think "it taped on date X so it will air on date Y" is particularly reliable. There are likely lots of non-J! events that factor in, such as sporting events and (especially this year) the political/election cycle. I agree with threearruda that any attempt to glean rhyme or reason WHY things get scheduled the way they do will never yield more than speculation.
--
Drowning in the pool
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

ParrotRob wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:27 am any attempt to glean rhyme or reason WHY things get scheduled the way they do will never yield more than speculation.
Here's a graphic that gives you rhyme and reason.

https://mattcarberry.com/Jeopardy/MJC-calendar.png

Same thing formatted a little differently.

https://mattcarberry.com/Jeopardy/MJC-airweek.png
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:22 pm
ParrotRob wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:27 am any attempt to glean rhyme or reason WHY things get scheduled the way they do will never yield more than speculation.
Here's a graphic that gives you rhyme and reason.

https://mattcarberry.com/Jeopardy/MJC-calendar.png
While that graphic shows WHEN everything was, it doesn't give any inclination WHY, which is exactly what I said. Yes, there are generally tournaments in the sweeps months. But not always. (Why?) Of late, there are four major "regular" tournaments - TOC, Teen, College and Teachers. Every year they skip one. (Why that one?) Some years they skip two. (Why?)

That's what I'm saying - we'll never know the answers to those "whys" - the rhyme and reason. But nice graphic.
--
Drowning in the pool
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Whether they skip the ToC in any given season seems to me to be a function of whether they feel like they've accumulated enough qualifying players (5+ timers). Whether they also skip one of the other regular tournaments seems to me to be a function of whether they have some other special tournament to throw in, like the All-Star Games. Last season's cramming in an extra Teen Tournament was an outlier.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

With Alex's health, I would put the chances of the show going on location somewhere incredibly close to nil. Also, the show has scheduled Culver City tapings for the rest of the season (source: the Get Tickets link on the website).
In other words, there won't be a Power Players Week this season, is that right? And does taping for Season 36 wrap up on April 14?
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:16 pm This morning I just found out that the College Championship will be pushed back April 6-17 because of GOAT.
When Alex had surgery in 2018, the College Championship was also pushed back to April because of a canceled taping. Maybe, they decided to make it permanent?
gameshowfandanny

According to the "Mark Your Calendar" section on the show's official website, the Teachers Tournament is airing May 4-15.
gameshowfandanny

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:27 pm
In other words, there won't be a Power Players Week this season, is that right? And does taping for Season 36 wrap up on April 14?
Yes, but there probably will be 7 weeks of summer reruns this year because Labor Day is on September 7 and they haven't premiered on Labor Day since 2004.
This is what I think the summer rerun schedule will be:
July 27-August 7: Tournament of Champions
August 10-21: College Championship
August 24-September 4: Teachers Tournament
September 7-11 could be the Season 37 premiere week (unlikely, but possible), a Washington, D.C. Power Players Week with no studio audience (Original airing could be May 18-22, also unlikely), or an event like the 25th Anniversary Spotlight the week before Season 26 premiered. On the Monday, they showed the Season 1 Premiere. On Tuesday, they showed Eddie Timanus' 5th game. On Wednesday and Thursday, they showed Ken Jennings' last two regular-play games, and on Friday, they showed the UToC finale. This one could be:
Monday: MDM Finale
Tuesday: UToC Finale
Wednesday: IBM Finale
Thursday: BToD Finale
Friday: All-Star Finale
For reference, the remaining tape dates this season are (airdates according to my Microsoft Word documents):
Spoiler
February 18, 2020 (May 18-22)
February 19, 2020 (May 25-29)
February 24, 2020 (June 1-5)
February 25, 2020 (June 8-12)
March 10, 2020 (April 6-10; College Championship)
March 11, 2020 (April 13-17; College Championship)
March 17, 2020 (June 15-19)
March 18, 2020 (June 22-26)
March 31, 2020 (June 29-July 3)
April 1, 2020 (July 6-10)
April 6, 2020 (May 4-8; Teachers Tournament)
April 7, 2020 (May 11-15; Teachers Tournament)
April 13, 2020 (July 13-17
April 14, 2020 (July 20-24)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:53 am Yes, but there probably will be 7 weeks of summer reruns this year because Labor Day is on September 7 and they haven't premiered on Labor Day since 2004.
they could do the normal six weeks of tournaments, then on the 7th week have a special retrospective, then show the GOAT if ABC doesn't actually own those episodes.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
gameshowfandanny

triviawayne wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:48 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:53 am Yes, but there probably will be 7 weeks of summer reruns this year because Labor Day is on September 7 and they haven't premiered on Labor Day since 2004.
they could do the normal six weeks of tournaments, then on the 7th week have a special retrospective, then show the GOAT if ABC doesn't actually own those episodes.
There are two problems with this:
1. GOAT only went four days, so what would they show on the fifth day?
2. When they showed classic episodes the week before Season 26 premiere, nothing from Super Jeopardy! was shown, plus ABC put the GOAT episodes on their website the day after they aired (they did the same for the "What is Jeopardy!" special on January 2), like ABC's other shows.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:11 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:48 pm
There are two problems with this:
1. GOAT only went four days, so what would they show on the fifth day?
2. When they showed classic episodes the week before Season 26 premiere, nothing from Super Jeopardy! was shown, plus ABC put the GOAT episodes on their website the day after they aired (they did the same for the "What is Jeopardy!" special on January 2), like ABC's other shows.
1. That would be the "special retrospective"
2. This does not create a problem, the GOAT ownership has nothing to do with Super Jeopardy, or any other episodes, the only problem would be if ABC owns these episodes, which is exactly what I mentioned.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Could either of you please explain how the GOAT tournament could possibly be shown in week 7.