Friday, February 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, February 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ran FRED(E)RIC(K)S OF HOLLYWOOD. Contestants were 2 for 5, getting only Fred Savage and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. When I saw the category, I even pre-called Frederic March, the actor referenced in the Jekyll clue. But the writers decided rightly that this would be beyond the reach of the contestants.

I suppose it would have been cruel to neg "Charlotte Brönte", but that really does change the way Charlotte Brontë is pronounced. I'm hoping we can get some social media confirmation from one of the contestants that they were instructed about the need for a first name. Or are we assuming they just left it to the contestants to make that call and would have negged a last name only?
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:18 pm Ran FRED(E)RIC(K)S OF HOLLYWOOD. Contestants were 2 for 5, getting only Fred Savage and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. When I saw the category, I even pre-called Frederic March, the actor referenced in the Jekyll clue. But the writers decided rightly that this would be beyond the reach of the contestants.

I suppose it would have been cruel to neg "Charlotte Brönte", but that really does change the way Charlotte Brontë is pronounced. I'm hoping we can get some social media confirmation from one of the contestants that they were instructed about the need for a first name. Or are we assuming they just left it to the contestants to make that call and would have negged a last name only?
I would guess Bronte follows the Hemsworth rule - if it's the correct response, you must supply the first name, since they're so closely related and easily mixed up.

I've even seen Alex ask "Which one?" recently for Roosevelt, too - which I found odd, because the particular clue made me thing that it was nearly impossible to mix those two up - either something like "rough rider" (which would be tough for FDR, naturally) or "New Deal" (which any grade school student who's taken US History should know is FDR, not Teddy).

If they had mentioned "first AND last name" any time to the contestants, either in the clue or as an aside, it basically turns the clue into a coin-flip, because you know that there have to be at least two authors who share the last name they're looking for.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:18 pm I suppose it would have been cruel to neg "Charlotte Brönte", but that really does change the way Charlotte Brontë is pronounced
it fit many lööp, brøther
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Checking the Archive for the term "governess" I found another way the writers can go:

#7674, aired 2018-01-11 GHOSTING $800: A governess is convinced that the 2 children in her care see ghosts in this novella by Henry James
#7416, aired 2016-12-05 LITERARY CHARACTERS $600: Flora & Miles are the charges of the unnamed governess in this spooky work by Henry James
#7123, aired 2015-07-29 DEAD PEOPLE $2000: A governess sees the ghosts of 2 former servants in this novella by Henry James
#6638, aired 2013-06-26 WORLD LITERATURE $2000: In this Henry James tale, a governess is in charge of 2 children who are controlled by evil ghosts
#3343, aired 1999-03-03 OPERA & BALLET $800: A governess fears that her charges are communicating with ghosts in an opera based on this Henry James novella
#880, aired 1988-06-03 NAME THE NOVEL $1000: A governess fights the possession of young Miles & Flora by the spirits of Quint & Miss Jessel
#773, aired 1988-01-06 WOMEN IN LITERATURE $1000: In Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw", the heroine is hired to serve in this capacity

I also found three hits for "governess" in the Anna/Siam area.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:22 pm If they had mentioned "first AND last name" any time to the contestants, either in the clue or as an aside, it basically turns the clue into a coin-flip, because you know that there have to be at least two authors who share the last name they're looking for.
I've always been of the opinion that FJ should always require first and last name. That would immediately solve any hint issues.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:18 pmthe writers decided rightly that [Fredric March] would be beyond the reach of the contestants
It wasn't the case in 1988:
#897, aired 1988-06-28 ACTORS' REAL NAMES $500: Ernest Frederick McIntyre Bickel spent "The Best Years of Our Lives" with this name
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Valerie Jarrett and the Bottom Two in Fredericks of Hollywood.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Nora Ephron), Megaphone, Daughter, Stripper, J.M.W. Turner, New World Symphony Orchestra, Fred Astaire
Douglas Squasoni
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:52 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:18 pmthe writers decided rightly that [Fredric March] would be beyond the reach of the contestants
#897, aired 1988-06-28 ACTORS' REAL NAMES $500: Ernest Frederick McIntyre Bickel spent "The Best Years of Our Lives" with this name
I remembered a posting a thank you to a contestant for getting a Fredric March clue, and I thought it was pretty recently. Then I searched it, and it was June of '18!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:26 pm
I remembered a posting a thank you to a contestant for getting a Fredric March clue, and I thought it was pretty recently. Then I searched it, and it was June of '18!
So you were right!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:40 pm
squarekara wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:26 pm
So you were right!
I swear I thought it was earlier this season!
Maybe it's because we watched The Best Years of Our Lives around Veterans' Day.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Literature is not an especially strong suit of mine but I loved this FJ category and clue. It took me a full 25 seconds following various trains of thought before I shouted out Jane Eyre in triumph, only to realize they were looking for the author. Got as far as Bronte before time ran out but doubt I would have been able to figure out which sister no matter how much time I had.

Beyond Meat for $200, "Stick your nose in other people's business": I responded with "Pry". Alex's spoken explanation of "not too far after meat" is subjective and my response fits the clue. Judges?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:40 am Beyond Meat for $200, "Stick your nose in other people's business": I responded with "Pry". Alex's spoken explanation of "not too far after meat" is subjective and my response fits the clue. Judges?
Ooh, sorry!
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:40 am Literature is not an especially strong suit of mine but I loved this FJ category and clue. It took me a full 25 seconds following various trains of thought before I shouted out Jane Eyre in triumph, only to realize they were looking for the author. Got as far as Bronte before time ran out but doubt I would have been able to figure out which sister no matter how much time I had.

Beyond Meat for $200, "Stick your nose in other people's business": I responded with "Pry". Alex's spoken explanation of "not too far after meat" is subjective and my response fits the clue. Judges?
Usually those “after X in the dictionary” means “same first two letters, but alphabetically after”. It basically could have been ALL ABOUT “ME”, with the extra clue that the next letter is not A. They just did it for the pun with WHERE’S THE BEEF.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Two political preemptions this week for me, Tuesday’s SOTU speech and Friday’s Democratic debate. DVR didn’t get the memo either time, and I had to “watch” by way of the Archive.

All the more reason to hate politics...
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 47,600
55 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: Nora Ephron (DD), megaphone, "Daughter," New World Symphony, Fred Astaire, Fred Willard, Fred MacMurray

Fifty. Fifty. Ninety. Blew one of my best games ever by going with the "safer" pick of Jane Austen over what I actually figured was the correct FJ! response. Boo hiss.
Sprinkles are for winners.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I wonder if they would have accepted Newfoundland and Labrador for the Quebec clue. The mountain that Quebec calls Mont D'Iberville, Newfoundland and Labrador calls Mount Caubvick. It is the tallest mountain in both provinces. Its peak is right on the border.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I missed the show last night, having it recorded to watch today. In the meantime, Bob Harris retweeted someone saying she'd used his technique of brainstorming upon category reveal to improve her chances of solving FJ, with pictures of the clue and the correct response (accidentally misleading him into thinking she was the contestant in the picture). I thought the pictures were from this show and that I had been spoiled, so I was pleasantly surprised when the category reveal was not 2-WORD WORLD CAPITALS (from two Decembers ago). On top of that I got this FJ right.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Argh. I couldn’t come up with Savage, Willard or MacMurray in time. All 3 players missing Fred Astaire seems criminal

Never heard of redlining ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nice win for Guaravi!

+1 Charlotte Brontë. Seeing the players go 1/3 is just sad
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:05 pm Never heard of redlining ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't recall ever hearing of it in that context. The only one I'm familiar with is the automotive one (redlining an engine).
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:18 pm Or are we assuming they just left it to the contestants to make that call and would have negged a last name only?
I'm thinking they probably would have -- Ken Jennings wrote about a long delay while they researched his reply of "Jones" instead of "Marion Jones" in an FJ category about Olympic medalists. He wrote that they accepted his answer only when they couldn't find another medalist named Jones who fit the category, and Alex "growled" a semi-snide comment to him afterward.

I think I remember Maggie saying in the contestant briefing something like, "During the game, Alex may ask you be more specific, and you'll have a chance to tweak your response. You won't have that opportunity in Final Jeopardy, so be sure to be as specific as you think you need to be." (paraphrase, not a quote).

I would have erred on the side of caution and put down a first name. The wrong one, it turns out.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.