Monday, February 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Monday, February 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

I responded "What are the Queensbury rules?" :mrgreen:
Surprised myself by coming up with It's a Wonderful Life Is Beautiful on the movie B&A DD.
8-)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

For the clue that asked us to subtract a letter from an African country to get "this man who behaves badly, especially toward women," I took the last letter off the end of Mali. That clue totally describes Captain Malcolm Reynolds. They gotta give it to me.

Vinny's guess of "What is common?" for "Without a member of the House of Lords" was desperation at its most brilliant. (He clearly rang in and then realized he didn't know what to say.) It almost works--though not as a synonym for "unique".

Guaravi negs with Aeneid and even given the extra time to think, nobody rebounds with Aeneas.

For the long weapon of Patroclus, we would also have accepted "javelin" since that translation is often used. Just in case anyone besides me gave that response.

Correctly guessed Washington Irving for the 1809 author of "History of New York," but would've clammed onstage unless the clue had been a DD.

I was able to run BEFORE & AFTER AT THE MOVIES, but only by using the pause button for the top and bottom rows. There's Something about Mary Poppins was easy enough and deservedly top row, but I just didn't have the hang of the category. Monuments Men in Black was a total guess since I didn't know George Clooney was in Monuments Men.

Saw Natalie start writing at the last moment on FJ. I knew that if my guess was right (and it was), she was doomed. If the clue hadn't mentioned that the name honors a nobleman, I might have considered The Laws of Cricket to see if I could make it fit.

Gotta disagree with Mark Barrett's ruling. Assuming "Marquess of Queensbury regulations" would be accepted for FJ, just "Marquess of Queensbury" would have to be accepted as well since "regulations" was in the clue.
blueoncemoon
Contributor

Post by blueoncemoon »

"Anybody else do an impression of Barry Fitzgerald from The Quiet Man whenever they say "Marquess of Queensberry Rules"?

No? Just me?"

LOL. Yes, I did. I was surprised it was a triple stumper.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Episode recap.

Basic sports knowledge - fail
Basic FJ wagering knowledge - fail

Typical episode if you ask me. :D :D :D

Boxing rules just come up for trivia purposes a lot. Definitely more than they should. But it’s without a doubt beginner level sports trivia knowledge. BWW regulars will have not heard of it however.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $26,400 (37R, 0W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Lots of wordplay today and my mind just wasn't up to the task. Clammed on Washington Irving because I thought the response had to be a president so it didn't compute. Kronos = forehead slap, they just asked about Rhea 5 seconds ago! Not my finest performance.

At least I somewhat redeemed myself with a slam dunk on the TS FJ... but a pretty forgettable game overall.

Note to Archivists: in the Archive, this particular Marquess is spelled "Queensbury" some of the time and "Queensberry" some of the time. I discovered that by searching to see how much of a chestnut the FJ was... not sure if it's fixable/worth fixing.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I was another who precalled a TS upon seeing the clue. I spent most of Think Music trying to decide whether they asking for the person or the rules — not the clearest wording IMO. How often has the person with the lowest Coryat won, I wonder? And, judges: I said “uncommon” for the British Parliament clue. Acceptable?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Woof wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:10 pm I was another who precalled a TS upon seeing the clue. I spent most of Think Music trying to decide whether they asking for the person or the rules — not the clearest wording IMO. How often has the person with the lowest Coryat won, I wonder? And, judges: I said “uncommon” for the British Parliament clue. Acceptable?
I would neg you. Something can be uncommon without being unique. It is uncommon to win ten straight games on Jeopardy, but winning 74 straight is unique.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:00 pm I wrote down Marquis of Queensbury rules. I could tell by looking at them they were clueless. I guess Vinny deserved the win for at least trying to guess a sport, even though they didn’t want the sport. Alex’s comments at the end didn’t make it totally clear what they wanted.

We joke about BMS on presidents’ names so I said “Who are Adams and Adams?” for the Massachusetts homes. I have visited the current residence of Polk and his wife so that was an easy one for me. The people who run his home about an hour south of Nashville tried to get him moved a couple years ago, but he stayed put.
Me: "Who are Adams 2 and Adams 6?"
My hope is to get a Quincy Adams clue so I can use 'Adams 6' (in the vein of Bush 41/43). 'Adams 2' by itself, sadly, is begging to get negged.

Precalled Spain for drop a letter...but I dropped the wrong letter in my precall (Pain. Spin would also have worked, though).

Somewhat surprised with myself I got final. One of those 'picked up from who knows where and it just stuck' facts.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:29 pm Of course I try every Scandinavian country but Finland...
There's your problem; Finland isn't Scandinavian!
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:10 pm Guaravi negs with Aeneid and even given the extra time to think, nobody rebounds with Aeneas.
The way that clue played out, it smacked of the situation we sometimes hear of where Alex accepts an incorrect response, and they end up editing it so that it seems like he immediately negs it, with the other contestants instructed not to ring in.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I only got FJ after Alex said the guy is known as something else, then it automatically came to me...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

The SJ boards were the easiest I can remember in a while. It was a weird game dynamic with the champ in the hole early and the underdog getting a small payday but tomorrow's will be smaller if he doesn't up his game.

I have no idea why I know the Marquis (sic) of Queensbury but it may have been from my grandfather (born inn 1889) where I also picked up "according to Hoyle". I expected the triple stumper, as I don't have that many cousins. I'm curious to see how it polls - since it seems to be in the canon it may be artificially high for this group. I'd bet that it wouldn't poll 5% at my place of employment, and would poll 50% in the average nursing home.

Goodbye, nuclear engineer and lady sumo wrestler.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

Golf wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:39 pm Episode recap.

Basic sports knowledge - fail
Basic FJ wagering knowledge - fail

Typical episode if you ask me. :D :D :D

Boxing rules just come up for trivia purposes a lot. Definitely more than they should. But it’s without a doubt beginner level sports trivia knowledge. BWW regulars will have not heard of it however.
Gauravi's biggest mistake is that her $9,801 dropped her to $1,999, which is exactly what Natalie would have dropped to if she had made the exact MSB.

But, I could defend a $9,800 wager from Gauravi. Since Vinny had just over half her score, but only slightly, he had reason to bet nearly everything, meaning he would drop to almost nothing if he missed and there would be no winning bet for Gauravi if he got it right and she did not.
Of course, that is not how it turned out. And she really should have wagered $5,599 or less to ensure Vinny could not miss or bet $0 and win. But, there have been much worse second place wagering errors, like Colin Kennedy's from earlier this season.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6417
And here is a hilarious one from 2005.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=382
Last edited by mjhunt on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:10 pm For the clue that asked us to subtract a letter from an African country to get "this man who behaves badly, especially toward women," I took the last letter off the end of Mali. That clue totally describes Captain Malcolm Reynolds. They gotta give it to me.
Shiny

Instaget FJ, although it would have taken a few seconds to write it all out.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 31,200
44 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (F)inland, malt(a), Aeneas, It's A Wonderful Life Is Beautiful (DD), The Monuments Men In Black, Nashville (DD)

Learn. To. Wager. It's not that hard, and it's a really big deal.

I never considered that Al and Roxie Roker might be related. Interesting.

"James Bond creator" is not a $1000 fact, except maybe on Millionaire.

Vinny did a great job with DD1, taking a breath and rereading the clue before responding. Natalie didn't do as well with DD2, completely spacing on the category.
Bamaman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:23 pm
Woof wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:10 pm I was another who precalled a TS upon seeing the clue. I spent most of Think Music trying to decide whether they asking for the person or the rules — not the clearest wording IMO. How often has the person with the lowest Coryat won, I wonder? And, judges: I said “uncommon” for the British Parliament clue. Acceptable?
I would neg you. Something can be uncommon without being unique. It is uncommon to win ten straight games on Jeopardy, but winning 74 straight is unique.
Also, the clue was "Without a member of the House of Lords," so "uncommon" doesn't make sense. (He says, having negged with that very response.)
Sprinkles are for winners.
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

FJ. I knew the clue referred to boxing. What is the name of those rules titled after a nobleman? Think, think, think. Ah, Marquess of Queensbury. Sorry, way too late.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

jev15 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:35 pm Anybody else do an impression of Barry Fitzgerald from The Quiet Man whenever they say "Marquess of Queensberry Rules"?
Well, I certainly hear Barry Fitzgerald in my head, but any attempt at an impression would be unidentifiable.
FS7
Contributor

Post by FS7 »

Games like this make me feel like I've really got a chance. Every now and then I think I could actually win a few games, while some days I'd just get steamrolled. Luck of the draw.

I was confident in the FJ category and said I'd probably bet it all regardless of the score. My wife thought it would be something obscure about golf.

I knew it immediately, but because of politics and not boxing. I've heard the term many times, especially referring to weak "nice guy" political candidates like Romney and McCain. I had always assumed it was about taking the proper high road while your opponent was pulling out all their tricks. At some point I got curious about the term and looked it up.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

I’m going to take a guess I’m the only one here who learned who the Marquess of Queensbury was thanks to the cheat in the N64 game Perfect Dark named for him. It disarms all the enemies.
doriko
Contributor

Post by doriko »

Instaget for me, thanks to an episode of "Family Affair," when Mr. French was teaching Jodi about boxing, to help him confront a bully. (Just me?) :oops:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:48 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:10 pm Guaravi negs with Aeneid and even given the extra time to think, nobody rebounds with Aeneas.
The way that clue played out, it smacked of the situation we sometimes hear of where Alex accepts an incorrect response, and they end up editing it so that it seems like he immediately negs it, with the other contestants instructed not to ring in.
I hadn't thought of that. I bet you're right. I can almost hear Alex saying, "Aeneid or Aeneas, correct." [OFF CAMERA: No!!]