Friday, February 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, February 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

It didn't come up much in this thread, but the dots in Brontë are a diaeresis, not an umlaut; they don't indicate the e is to be pronounced a special way, but merely that it isn't silent.

In pondering why Gauravi got credit for "Brönte" but Jim Scott was (retroactively) negged nearly 20 years ago for verbally indicating an accent aigu in spelling Paul Klee's last name, I realized that the fact that Jim's clue specifically sought a spelling meant it was necessary to harshly judge any transgression.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:17 pm It didn't come up much in this thread, but the dots in Brontë are a diaeresis, not an umlaut; they don't indicate the e is to be pronounced a special way, but merely that it isn't silent.

In pondering why Gauravi got credit for "Brönte" but Jim Scott was (retroactively) negged nearly 20 years ago for verbally indicating an accent aigu in spelling Paul Klee's last name, I realized that the fact that Jim's clue specifically sought a spelling meant it was necessary to harshly judge any transgression.
I found the response: (Jim: What is K-L-É with an accent aigu-E?)
[Jim was originally credited with a correct response. Just before Final Jeopardy!, this ruling was reversed, as the judges were unable to find evidence of the accent mark in the spelling of Klee's name.]

Hammer will have to check my work, but I find 1990 closer to 30 years ago. ;)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:17 pm It didn't come up much in this thread, but the dots in Brontë are a diaeresis, not an umlaut; they don't indicate the e is to be pronounced a special way, but merely that it isn't silent.
That's a good point. I withdraw my nit.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was 4/4 going into this episode so of course they give me this one. I spent a good bit of time parsing what it was saying and could only deduce it was about a woman. So my next thought was Jane Eyre. Wait, that’s a character. So I went with Alcott.

I had no idea who wrote Jane Eyre, but kicked myself when Alex made his comments. In high school, an English teacher gave us a choice of reading Jane Eyre or The Good Earth. Now I regret my choice, although the one I picked comes up a lot.

Good job by Brenda to not lose her cool and be in contention at the end.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:42 pm

[Jim was originally credited with a correct response. Just before Final Jeopardy!, this ruling was reversed, as the judges were unable to find evidence of the accent mark in the spelling of Klee's name.]

Hey, give me a break; I've finally stopped using 2000 as the reference point in my "how long ago" calculations!
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:59 pm

Hey, give me a break; I've finally stopped using 2000 as the reference point in my "how long ago" calculations!
I remember watching that game, and I'm 99% sure Jim spelled it K-L-E-E, and then the bit about the accent aigu over the first E. Tumultuous applause from the audience followed, but after the commercial break we heard the bad news from the Art Institute of Chicago.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:54 am
seaborgium wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:59 pm

I remember watching that game, and I'm 99% sure Jim spelled it K-L-E-E, and then the bit about the accent aigu over the first E. Tumultuous applause from the audience followed, but after the commercial break we heard the bad news from the Art Institute of Chicago.
I watched it on Crackle in the time leading up to the Battle of the Decades (it was archived from Crackle as well), and he definitely said the accent part between letters.

What I want to know about that game is in regards to Mark Thompson, the challenger who didn't win (Jim offered the guy in second place the tie in FJ, everyone got it right, they both won, and Jim was retired as a 5x champ): he hit the last DD after Jim's, but the ruling on Jim's response wasn't reversed until before FJ. So seeing the scores as him trailing $5,300 to Jim's $6,300, he bet fairly aggressively, $3,500, and missed. So my question is, did it matter to TPTB that the scores shouldn't have been what they were when he wagered? As it turned out, he only needed to have been in second place before FJ to win, and he was $500 off that mark; was the possibility that he could have wagered at least $500 less if he'd known he had a $1,000 lead at that DD enough for TPTB to give him a second chance?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:04 am

I watched it on Crackle in the time leading up to the Battle of the Decades (it was archived from Crackle as well), and he definitely said the accent part between letters.

What I want to know about that game is in regards to Mark Thompson, the challenger who didn't win (Jim offered the guy in second place the tie in FJ, everyone got it right, they both won, and Jim was retired as a 5x champ): he hit the last DD after Jim's, but the ruling on Jim's response wasn't reversed until before FJ. So seeing the scores as him trailing $5,300 to Jim's $6,300, he bet fairly aggressively, $3,500, and missed. So my question is, did it matter to TPTB that the scores shouldn't have been what they were when he wagered? As it turned out, he only needed to have been in second place before FJ to win, and he was $500 off that mark; was the possibility that he could have wagered at least $500 less if he'd known he had a $1,000 lead at that DD enough for TPTB to give him a second chance?
Ok, but he did give the four-letter spelling, he didn't simply say K-L-É? That one might have been a defensible rendering, aside from the fact that it isn't the way Klee actually spelled the name.

I hadn't remembered that Jim won the game anyway, or the other issue. It does seem rather sloppy handling by today's standards.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:46 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:04 am

Ok, but he did give the four-letter spelling, he didn't simply say K-L-É? That one might have been a defensible rendering, aside from the fact that it isn't the way Klee actually spelled the name.
Specifying the accent wouldn't have been "between letters" if he had stopped at the accent. He spelled it like a feminine French past participle.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Can someone give a link to the archive of the game?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:21 pm Can someone give a link to the archive of the game?
The Friday 2/7 game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6545
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:25 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:21 pm Can someone give a link to the archive of the game?
Thank you, but I was referring to the Klee game being discussed above.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:27 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:25 pm
Thank you, but I was referring to the Klee game being discussed above.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4401
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thank you, kind sir. I apologize for not being more clear to begin with.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:37 pm Checking the Archive for the term "governess" I found another way the writers can go:

#7674, aired 2018-01-11 GHOSTING $800: A governess is convinced that the 2 children in her care see ghosts in this novella by Henry James
#7416, aired 2016-12-05 LITERARY CHARACTERS $600: Flora & Miles are the charges of the unnamed governess in this spooky work by Henry James
#7123, aired 2015-07-29 DEAD PEOPLE $2000: A governess sees the ghosts of 2 former servants in this novella by Henry James
#6638, aired 2013-06-26 WORLD LITERATURE $2000: In this Henry James tale, a governess is in charge of 2 children who are controlled by evil ghosts
#3343, aired 1999-03-03 OPERA & BALLET $800: A governess fears that her charges are communicating with ghosts in an opera based on this Henry James novella
#880, aired 1988-06-03 NAME THE NOVEL $1000: A governess fights the possession of young Miles & Flora by the spirits of Quint & Miss Jessel
#773, aired 1988-01-06 WOMEN IN LITERATURE $1000: In Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw", the heroine is hired to serve in this capacity

I think the clue may fit Turn of the Screw better. "Abysses may exist" in a woman who sees ghosts. And Jane Eyre doesn't end as a "common spinster." She marries Mr. Rochester!
I struggled with which one to choose but decided that TotS was not enough of a J! favorite, and they'd probably not refer to James as a 19th C author when he wrote well into the 20th. (But then they did just that with Kipling a few months ago, and he lived till 1936!) TotS , from 1898, comes close to straddling the new century.