Monday, February 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, February 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:10 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:10 pm For the clue that asked us to subtract a letter from an African country to get "this man who behaves badly, especially toward women," I took the last letter off the end of Mali. That clue totally describes Captain Malcolm Reynolds. They gotta give it to me.
Shiny
:D

Here's all the proof we need that he fits the clue. Right out of his own mouth.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:24 am I never considered that Al and Roxie Roker might be related. Interesting.
Ditto for Jenny and Melissa McCarthy. Like Vinny, I thought first of Kristen Wiig as the "scene-stealing co-star of Bridesmaids". But I almost immediately thought of Melissa McCarthy as another possibility and one I liked better. It was only AFTER that I noticed the last name and knew I was right. All this seemed subjectively to happen quickly enough for me to ring in, but maybe not. Still, if the clue shows up in a poll, I'm checking the box that says I got it right.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Pretty sad game. Guaravi's wager was only about $9000 too big, and it cost her nearly $10K in this game plus the chance to come back and win more. No one ever bothers with wagering strategy. *deep sigh*

I picked up $3K in LT for inland, malt, and Washington Irving. That was enough, coupled with my instaget FJ, to win the game from the 4th podium, with the lowest score I've ever had that won that way.

Who out there in Boardville is betting Vinny will defend his championship successfully tonight?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:34 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:24 am I never considered that Al and Roxie Roker might be related. Interesting.
Ditto for Jenny and Melissa McCarthy.
My mind-blown moment was learning about brothers Anthony Stewart Head and Murray Head.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mjhunt wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:49 pm
Golf wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:39 pm Episode recap.

Basic sports knowledge - fail
Basic FJ wagering knowledge - fail

Typical episode if you ask me. :D :D :D

Boxing rules just come up for trivia purposes a lot. Definitely more than they should. But it’s without a doubt beginner level sports trivia knowledge. BWW regulars will have not heard of it however.
Gauravi's biggest mistake is that her $9,801 dropped her to $1,999, which is exactly what Natalie would have dropped to if she had made the exact MSB.

But, I could defend a $9,800 wager from Gauravi. Since Vinny had just over half her score, but only slightly, he had reason to bet nearly everything, meaning he would drop to almost nothing if he missed and there would be no winning bet for Gauravi if he got it right and she did not.
Of course, that is not how it turned out. And she really should have wagered $5,599 or less to ensure Vinny could not miss or bet $0 and win. But, there have been much worse second place wagering errors, like Colin Kennedy's from earlier this season.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6417
And here is a hilarious one from 2005.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=382
Making a bet because you assume the trailer will make a logical bet is risky. Making the MSB is the best strategy.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

econgator wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:29 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:34 am
Ditto for Jenny and Melissa McCarthy.
My mind-blown moment was learning about brothers Anthony Stewart Head and Murray Head.
Wait, Giles and the One Night in Bangkok guy are brothers?!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:48 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:29 pm Of course I try every Scandinavian country but Finland...
There's your problem; Finland isn't Scandinavian!
Umlaut-land. Close enough. Börk börk börk.
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:10 pm Guaravi negs with Aeneid and even given the extra time to think, nobody rebounds with Aeneas.
The way that clue played out, it smacked of the situation we sometimes hear of where Alex accepts an incorrect response, and they end up editing it so that it seems like he immediately negs it, with the other contestants instructed not to ring in.
I can do Virgil = Aeneid, but not knowing the origin of the term "Aeneid", I didn't know that there was a back-form
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:10 pm Guaravi negs with Aeneid and even given the extra time to think, nobody rebounds with Aeneas.
The way that clue played out, it smacked of the situation we sometimes hear of where Alex accepts an incorrect response, and they end up editing it so that it seems like he immediately negs it, with the other contestants instructed not to ring in.
I can do Virgil = Aeneid, but not knowing the origin of the term "Aeneid", I didn't know that there was a back-form. Sometimes short enough words make me go "wait, that's got a prefix or suffix in it?" (See also: "diode.")
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:54 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:29 pm Of course I try every Scandinavian country but Finland...
In increasing distance from Scandinavia: Estonia, Hungary, Turkey, and arguably Albania have umlauts in their languages too. [edit: not to mention Germany, which named the dang thing]
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:48 pm
In increasing distance from Scandinavia: Estonia, Hungary, Turkey, and arguably Albania have umlauts in their languages too. [edit: not to mention Germany, which named the dang thing]
France and England have it, too, if you're willing to conflate the diaeresis symbol with the umlaut.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed Cousin Effect $600, Prize $1000, and Before & After at the Movies $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Inland, Malt, Aeneas, Peerless, Sole, Washington Irving, (It's A Wonderful Life Is Beautiful), Nashville
Douglas Squasoni
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Woof wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:01 pm
France and England have it, too, if you're willing to conflate the diaeresis symbol with the umlaut.
The people of Mayagüez, PR will tell you that Spanish has something that looks like an umlaut too.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I am not.
mas3cf wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:07 pm The people of Mayagüez, PR will tell you that Spanish has something that looks like an umlaut too.
I learned the word "diéresis" in Spanish class in that context.
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:51 pm
mjhunt wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:49 pm
Golf wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:39 pm Episode recap.

Basic sports knowledge - fail
Basic FJ wagering knowledge - fail

Typical episode if you ask me. :D :D :D

Boxing rules just come up for trivia purposes a lot. Definitely more than they should. But it’s without a doubt beginner level sports trivia knowledge. BWW regulars will have not heard of it however.
Gauravi's biggest mistake is that her $9,801 dropped her to $1,999, which is exactly what Natalie would have dropped to if she had made the exact MSB.

But, I could defend a $9,800 wager from Gauravi. Since Vinny had just over half her score, but only slightly, he had reason to bet nearly everything, meaning he would drop to almost nothing if he missed and there would be no winning bet for Gauravi if he got it right and she did not.
Of course, that is not how it turned out. And she really should have wagered $5,599 or less to ensure Vinny could not miss or bet $0 and win. But, there have been much worse second place wagering errors, like Colin Kennedy's from earlier this season.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6417
And here is a hilarious one from 2005.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=382
Making a bet because you assume the trailer will make a logical bet is risky. Making the MSB is the best strategy.
I am not saying $9,800 was the most optimal wager, only that it would have been far from the worst.

But, $9,801 is quite different, since it could have easily caused a tiebreaker.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Definitely didn't think that FJ would be a triple stumper!
Woof

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:36 pm

I am not.
In that case, you’d best lose Turkey (and perhaps Estonia) as that symbol doesn’t signify the elision of the letter e in a diphthong in that language.
Woof

Post by Woof »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:07 pm

The people of Mayagüez, PR will tell you that Spanish has something that looks like an umlaut too.
Yes, the symbol is a diaeresis in Spanish too: it instructs the speaker to pronounce the u instead of just using it to make a hard g (a la guitar).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:43 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:36 pm

I am not.
In that case, you’d best lose Turkey (and perhaps Estonia) as that symbol doesn’t signify the elision of the letter e in a diphthong in that language.
It doesn't do that (whatever that means) in German either.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

Usually a safe assumption that whenever I pull a sports-related FJ, the subject is common knowledge. I guess that's not always the case.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:00 pm Definitely didn't think that FJ would be a triple stumper!
Didn’t really shock me. Boxing isn’t the mainstream sport it once was so it probably isn’t a term younger people might have run across.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:00 pm Definitely didn't think that FJ would be a triple stumper!
I'm not overly surprised. On one hand, Marquess of Queensberry/Queensberry rules is something one should be sure to know before going on the show, given the Marquess's connections with both boxing and Oscar Wilde... on the other hand, it seems sports is like Kryptonite for the majority of Jeopardy contestants.