Wednesday, February 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY EUROPEAN LEADERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a 1930s broadcast, this man spoke of “A quarrel in a faraway country between people of whom we know nothing”

Danyelle Long-Hyland: 5400-3600=1800
Josh Gruenberg: 8000+6601=14601 (New Champ)
Jamie Wylie: 7300-700=6600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Neville Chamberlain (Danyelle – Churchhill) (Jamie – Churchill)

Daily Doubles
Jamie: 7800-500
Jamie: 8500-1200
Josh: 10600-3000

Coryats
Danyelle: 5400
Josh: 11000
Jamie: 9000

Combined: 25,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Danyelle: minus 1000
Josh: 5800
Jamie: 7300
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Something does not add up for Josh's story about his mean dean playing on J! (around 1997) and not making it to the FJ! round. I checked on Curtis & Curtiss in the Archive and no one fits. Wrong year or Mr. Curtis did indeed play the FJ! round?

Another scoreboard correction with Jamie busted for "graveyard" as Andrew Marvell had it shorter. Alex and the judges should have been on that error immediately instead of waiting for the next DD although I guess the show workers prefer to check on such responses to make sure. No matter for the end result.

Jamie found DD1 on clue 30 with 7800. It was downhill from there with minus 500 on the miss and still at 7300 27 clues later.

The FJ! category had me thinking not British so I played the recall game during the break for German and French guys. The clue had me thinking it sounded like a British guy.

I wrote all but the last letter of the correct name and then made the mistake of thinking. What if it's if the other guy? Am I going to get burned on the typical basic guess (like the ladies did) and am I working too hard? 1930s had me thinking not go to that way. I started to finish the last letter that would have given me a correct response and then I went for a fast cross out it in thinking about The King's Speech and I scribbled George V. :evil: I should not be this bad at history type clues.

Another of those 0/3 on big clues strikes again as Jamie had no luck when betting and solving was involved. Josh saved the day on big clues with the only solve of one of them.

If players want to jump around, get stumped, and make errors then how about leaving a few top clues remaining instead of $6000 on the meaty bottom?
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

"faraway" had me baffled for a moment, since it wasn't really all that far, but he was probably exaggerating for effect.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

We see an exception to the heuristic that "European" in FJ category names means "not British". Or is that heuristic meant to be specific to writers/artists?
theGrue

Post by theGrue »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:04 am Something does not add up for Josh's story about his mean dean playing on J! (around 1997) and not making it to the FJ! round. I checked on Curtis & Curtiss in the Archive and no one fits. Wrong year or Mr. Curtis did indeed play the FJ! round?
Sorry, I was off by a year. It was 1996. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3552
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

theGrue wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:07 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:04 am Something does not add up for Josh's story about his mean dean playing on J! (around 1997) and not making it to the FJ! round. I checked on Curtis & Curtiss in the Archive and no one fits. Wrong year or Mr. Curtis did indeed play the FJ! round?
Sorry, I was off by a year. It was 1996. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3552
Ah, okay, that was one of the games I looked at in my search.

My scoresheet for that game shows:

Bernie 11900+4299=16199 (2nd win)
Deb 3800+3201=7001
Ted: 3500-500=3000

and using the infinite FJ! resource:

FJ! Category: POETS

Clue: In 1879 the children of Cambridge, Massachusetts gave him an armchair made of chestnut wood

Correct response:
Spoiler
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Thanks for clarifying Josh and congrats. Just in case you did not notice, your game is archived.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:08 pm We see an exception to the heuristic that "European" in FJ category names means "not British". Or is that heuristic meant to be specific to writers/artists?
Just writers, I'd say. Since music and visual art don't need translation.

And let me thank Rocky and Bullwinkle for helping me solve that 1996 FJ.
I'm smart and I want respect.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Nice going, theGrue!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This was basically "name a famously isolationist European leader from the 1930s".
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $35,800 (45R, 2W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

LT $8000: suffragette, steakhouse, (anaconda), Mississippi, free gift, World Cup, Venus, (Tiber), Narragansett, Okinawa, SE Hinton.

LT plus FJ get earns me the fourth podium lock-tie.

Gave myself a neg for 'cemetery' on Fine Line $800 but they reversed on 'graveyard' so I dunno.

Clammed on Iraq because it was a $2k coinflip with Afghanistan. In hindsight, 2004 was TOM but I felt it was too dangerous to guess.

Forgot the category and said "circumnavigated the Earth" on DD3. Should have pulled 'Utopia' but didn't get there in time.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

How is Venus a TS? :o
I had just Narragansett for the Rhode Island clue. Would that get BMS? :?:
Easy FJ :mrgreen:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

"Far away" led me away from Churchhill and Chamberlain and only left me with FDR.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:44 pm "Far away" led me away from Churchhill and Chamberlain and only left me with FDR.
I thought about him too, but he doesn't fit the category.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I even considered Hitler (partly because of the European category) but couldn't think of a conflict he could have been dissing (Spanish Revolution??). I settled on British because of the use of the word "quarrel" and decided on Chamberlain over Churchill.

Two inner planets to choose from and Mercury doesn't have an atmosphere, but I understand the clam as the mission didn't sound familiar to me at all.

I'm 3/3 on FJ this week, so tomorrow will bring up an Oscars or Opera category. I will pre-write my default Meryl Streep on my imaginary light pen.

Congrats champ, and thanks for speaking up here. I feel guilty with 1500 posts vs. your 5 posts in 5 years! Some talk the talk and you have walked the walk!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (J.J. Watt was my only miss.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Steakhouse, Suffragette, George Wallace, (Anaconda), Free Gift, Mississippi, (Tiber), S.E. Hinton, Okinawa, Venus, Iraq, *Grave*, (Walk Around the Earth), FIFA World Cup, Narragansett Bay

I remember Redundant Phrases $800 being a question on IdioTest. The question asked "Touch the letter that causes a redundancy." or something like that. The picture included an Automatic Teller Machine with "ATM Machine" written on it. The correct response was the letter M.

I feel as though many Jeopardy! contestants are too scared to take a guess as no one buzzed in Venus or Okinawa as well as the Mississippi rebound.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:53 pm I feel as though many Jeopardy! contestants are to scared to take a guess as no one buzzed in Venus or Okinawa as well as the Mississippi rebound.
I wasn't going to buzz in initially, but when Josh said "chophouse", I was sure of the rebound and was flabbergasted no one rang in.

I could talk unnecessary smack about this game, but I won't out of respect to those on the show while i sit/stand at home, and will only say I absolutely loved "Redundant phrases that are also repetitive too" as a category. Well done, writers.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

So much for the "European = not British" and "keep it simple" heuristics for FJ!. I guess that's why they're guidelines, and not hard-and-fast rules. Of course, thinking back, if they put "British" as the category, it basically gives you the two options. And I would have gone with the wrong option anyway. As it was, I futzed around with Stalin, didn't think "far away" would apply, and went to Hitler. Too much Taika Waititi at the Oscars for me, I guess.

I don't know why, but the clues in this game just seemed a bit...flat to me. Maybe it's that the Triple Stumpers were just excessively weird to me in that I felt some of them really should be Triple Stumpers. Definitely not the quality of the contestants, from my POV.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

DBear wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:56 pm How is Venus a TS? :o
I had just Narragansett for the Rhode Island clue. Would that get BMS? :?:
Easy FJ :mrgreen:
I think you're safe with just Narragansett. I cannot find a reference to a river or creek by that name.

Also, I agree with other two points.
OCSam