Tuesday, February 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:37 pm
Woppy T wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:39 am
Leander wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:34 pm
I found it hard to figure out how she pronounced it too, but It seemed unfair to neg her when they accept “Captain Sully” as an answer.
I didn't like this either. Kind of like when they accept "the Mooch" as a correct response. Accepting nicknames just invites controversy.
I agree as he may not have known his actual name. (Sully could be short for Sullivan). I wonder if they would take Ike for Eisenhower.
Initialisms are accepted without question. Things like FDR and JFK unambiguously refer to one person. They've taken just "Elvis" for Elvis Presley, and "Oprah" for Oprah Winfrey. IMO "Sully" or "The Mooch" are hardly any different since they clearly refer to only one person. At what point do you draw the line?

(For the record, I knew Sullenberger, but his name was too far back in the brain to pull up in time.)
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

I found it hard to figure out how she pronounced it too, but It seemed unfair to neg her when they accept “Captain Sully” as an answer.
I didn't like this either. Kind of like when they accept "the Mooch" as a correct response. Accepting nicknames just invites controversy.
"Captain Sully" is how he is commonly referred to as a primary monkier in the media, which I'm guessing is why it was deemed acceptable. It's not like this happened:

"A 1970s sitcom revolved around a radio station called WKRP in this city"
"What is C-Town?"
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:33 pm "Captain Sully" is how he is commonly referred to as a primary monkier in the media
Hey, who you callin' a monkier? :D
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:56 pm
mas3cf wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:33 pm "Captain Sully" is how he is commonly referred to as a primary monkier in the media
Hey, who you callin' a monkier? :D
Dome, stuffed autocorrect
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

This was only the eighth FJ! triple-get of the season, out of 107 102 regular-play games. Crazy.
Last edited by BigDaddyMatty on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:45 pm This was only the eighth FJ! triple-get of the season, out of 107 regular-play games. Crazy.
I have 112 games total...how are you counting the ToC?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Tintinnabulation, Etouffee, Bolsheviks, Comintern, (Gugleilmo Marconi), Robert Schumann, Impresario, Vista, Kaddish, *Lech Walesa*, Love Story, Alloys, Warrens
Douglas Squasoni
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:50 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:45 pm This was only the eighth FJ! triple-get of the season, out of 107 regular-play games. Crazy.
I have 112 games total...how are you counting the ToC?
You're right. I didn't take into account that the first five rows of my spreadsheet are column headers and whatnot.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

She had a fair bit of national and local media coverage in Canada about her Jeopardy appearance.

Before the episode aired:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-woma ... -1.4805838

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-ne ... growing-up

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as ... -1.5458268

Afterward:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/ca ... -1.4807994

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-ne ... pardy-loss

I imagine that a publicist for the show suggests some questions for the local media to ask the contestant, because these all seem to cover the same ground.

Here's one about Danyelle:

https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/brights ... 0d194.html
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:07 pm
I agree as he may not have known his actual name. (Sully could be short for Sullivan). I wonder if they would take Ike for Eisenhower.
Initialisms are accepted without question. Things like FDR and JFK unambiguously refer to one person. They've taken just "Elvis" for Elvis Presley, and "Oprah" for Oprah Winfrey. IMO "Sully" or "The Mooch" are hardly any different since they clearly refer to only one person. At what point do you draw the line?
That's precisely my problem with accepting nicknames -- where to draw the line? Personally, I'm fine with accepting FDR, JFK, Elvis, and Oprah, but those are four of the most famous people that have lived in the history of this country. Sully and the Mooch are not in that category yet.

Also, those four are merely shorthand ways of stating an obvious name. Nobody says "FDR" because they can't remember his actual last name. But I think that's what happened with Sully and could easily happen with the Mooch. (Plus, ask a football fan to identify the Mooch, and you may be surprised.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woppy T wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:46 am
That's precisely my problem with accepting nicknames -- where to draw the line? Personally, I'm fine with accepting FDR, JFK, Elvis, and Oprah, but those are four of the most famous people that have lived in the history of this country. Sully and the Mooch are not in that category yet.

Also, those four are merely shorthand ways of stating an obvious name. Nobody says "FDR" because they can't remember his actual last name. But I think that's what happened with Sully and could easily happen with the Mooch. (Plus, ask a football fan to identify the Mooch, and you may be surprised.)
Are we actually confused by the use of 'Sully' or 'Mooch' or are we hypothesizing that ourselves, the judges or others might be confused?

As far as usage, 'Mooch' got heavy use in print (411 hits alone using Google search site:nytimes.com "Mooch". Using "Sully" gives almost 6,000 but I'm too lazy to filter by time and knock off movie references.)

It's not like these are obscure nicknames, they got heavy use in their time.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Volante wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:45 am
Woppy T wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:46 am

Are we actually confused by the use of 'Sully' or 'Mooch' or are we hypothesizing that ourselves, the judges or others might be confused?

As far as usage, 'Mooch' got heavy use in print (411 hits alone using Google search site:nytimes.com "Mooch". Using "Sully" gives almost 6,000 but I'm too lazy to filter by time and knock off movie references.)

My issue is not with anyone being "confused." It's that when a trivia question asks us to identify an individual, in my opinion we should have to show that we actually know the answer by using the person's name. I get that the J! judges are more lenient.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Volante wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:45 am Are we actually confused by the use of 'Sully' or 'Mooch' or are we hypothesizing that ourselves, the judges or others might be confused?

Coming from the heavily-Irish Boston metropolitan area, I can say with a fair bit of certainty that there must be at least 99,999 people who go by "Sully", and about 70% of them are cops. I was a bit surprised that "Sully" was accepted alone - "Sully Sullenberger" certainly should be accepted, but "Sully" ought to get a "BMS", particularly 11 years or so after the incident. He's not quite Oprah-level of fame, but in a lot of news stories at the time he was called "Sully" simply because "Sullenberger" doesn't roll off the tongue as easily, and I would guess that nobody (except perhaps his parents) knows him as "Chesley".

I thought they were even easier on accepting "The Mooch", and it should have been at least BMSed. I'm not sure if that's an actual nickname he uses, or if it's a nickname that the media and late-night comedians gave him during his 11-day tenure.

The rules of names aren't always applied consistently from game-to-game, but if they're smart, each individual clue should have a note on whether the first name is required (Hemsworth/Roosevelt) and if informal mononyms or nicknames are acceptable (Oprah, Billy the Kid, maybe Mariah?), or if it's a true mononym with the last name is dropped and rarely used (Cher, Madonna). And, of course, those rules could change for each name - perhaps there's another Oprah out there who will become famous, so in the 90th season of Jeopardy!, you'd have to supply both names. After all, "President Bush" was a sufficient answer for about 12 years.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:14 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:41 pm Just when I was thinking "oh cool, Kristyna didn't make the usual all-in suicide wager!", here comes Danyelle's nonsensical wager. Somewhere, someone watching at home will think to themselves "if only Kristyna had bet it all!" *sigh*
Yeah, I know, her misguided wager didn't cost her the game. As somebody said on this board long ago, you might decide to go from your third-floor apartment to your car on the street by jumping out of the window to the sidewalk way, way, below. And you might even survive. That doesn't make it the right decision. And you can't expect to survive a second such attempt.
I've done a couple of presentations on "The Jeopardy Experience" at schools and senior centers, and we usually discuss wagering scenarios. The line I finally settled on is "just because you make it home safely with your car undamaged in the driveway does not mean it was a good decision to drive home drunk." A positive outcome does not turn a questionable decision into a good one.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.