Jeopardy! Episodes That Got Leaked

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gameshowfandanny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Jeopardy! Episodes That Got Leaked

Post by gameshowfandanny »

What other episodes besides Ken Jennings' loss, Ken winning the GOAT Tournament (That got indirectly leaked by ABC after promoting The Goldbergs), James Holzhauer's loss, David Madden's loss, and Eddie Timanus's 5th win got leaked.
I know Arthur Chu and Austin Roger's losses were also leaked.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Jeopardy! Episodes That Got Leaked

Post by Ironhorse »

Where was Austin Rogers' win leaked?

I suspected he would lose when he did given that he seemed to be running out of gas and that a contestant from his final game had been spending a lot of time on Reddit the week before, but I didn't see where it was actually leaked.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

You're going to have to better define "leaked". Depending on who you know and who you've talked to, pretty much any Jeopardy! result may have been leaked to you, even if it's not up on reddit or wherever.
gameshowfandanny

Austin's win was leaked on Reddit, but it was quickly deleted according to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4413
Look at Pasha Paterson (zerobandwidth's first post on that thread to see what I mean).
Scarlett Sims (the person who beat him) replied to Pasha's post that it was deleted.
Last edited by gameshowfandanny on Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gameshowfandanny

By leaked, I mean the result was revealed before it aired anywhere.
Golf

Post by Golf »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:57 pm By leaked, I mean the result was revealed before it aired anywhere.
Considering hundreds of people actually see the result months before it airs, I’d say this number would be each and every episode. You are simply trying to quantify this in some random way. If you try hard enough, you can talk to someone who has been spoiled every game.
gameshowfandanny

Golf wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:44 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:57 pm By leaked, I mean the result was revealed before it aired anywhere.
Considering hundreds of people actually see the result months before it airs, I’d say this number would be each and every episode. You are simply trying to quantify this in some random way. If you try hard enough, you can talk to someone who has been spoiled every game.
That's because there's an audience. I mean any time besides the events I mentioned that were leaked by an audience member like Ken Jennings' loss or someone who works for a TV station (this scenario happened with James' loss).
gameshowfandanny

Also, by leaked I actually meant it's revealed to the public before it airs, not counting the audience.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:01 pm Also, by leaked I actually meant it's revealed to the public before it airs, not counting the audience.
In 1999 the J! website had pictures for the ToC with one showing the finalists well before it got to that point of the tourney.
gameshowfandanny

I actually think that if James broke Ken Jennings' regular-play winnings record and won 75 games, both would've been leaked.
Arthur Chu's loss was leaked on an interview. Eddie Timanus' 5th win was leaked in the paper and I don't know how David Madden's loss got leaked. Ken's loss was leaked right after it was taped. James' loss was taped 23 days before his first game aired, so people in the audience wouldn't have known who he was unless they went to previous tapings where he was on.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I remember some people on the old Sony board reporting that they saw a promo for the UToC semifinals that spoiled Jerome Vered as the winner of the final quarterfinal game before that game aired.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

On FB I received a message that Alex was on Larry King's show and Alex said (ahead of Spangenberg's games airing) that someone was going to win more than $100K.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:43 am On FB I received a message that Alex was on Larry King's show and Alex said (ahead of Spangenberg's games airing) that someone was going to win more than $100K.
Hmm I may have to go all Snopes on you with this one and point out that Facebook was invented in 2004 while Frank Spangenberg's games were in 1990.
gameshowfandanny

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:25 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:43 am On FB I received a message that Alex was on Larry King's show and Alex said (ahead of Spangenberg's games airing) that someone was going to win more than $100K.
Hmm I may have to go all Snopes on you with this one and point out that Facebook was invented in 2004 while Frank Spangenberg's games were in 1990.
The message he received was after Facebook was invented. Frank didn't actually win over $100,000 because when he was on, if you won more than $75,000, you had to donate the rest of the money to charity.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

He's not saying he was spoiled by a Facebook message; he's saying someone messaged him on FB saying that Alex alluded to Spangenberg's success in an interview before those episodes aired. (Mark did use "and" where he probably meant "that"; I don't know if that contributed to the confusion.)
gameshowfandanny

I forgot another leak with Ken's loss. On Black Friday 2004, a station in Georgia accidentally aired the Final Jeopardy! from his 75th episode instead of his 73rd win.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:07 pm I forgot another leak with Ken's loss. On Black Friday 2004, a station in Georgia accidentally aired the Final Jeopardy! from his 75th episode instead of his 73rd win.
Also, someone who attended a Season 21 taping in September 2004 posted on a forum about Ken Jennings losing his 75th game; and the producers had to mitigate the spoiler. First, the number of games won was dubbed out. And second of all, Ken's 75th game was supposed to be on November 9, 2004.
gameshowfandanny

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:14 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:07 pm I forgot another leak with Ken's loss. On Black Friday 2004, a station in Georgia accidentally aired the Final Jeopardy! from his 75th episode instead of his 73rd win.
Also, someone who attended a Season 21 taping in September 2004 posted on a forum about Ken Jennings losing his 75th game; and the producers had to mitigate the spoiler. First, the number of games won was dubbed out. And second of all, Ken's 75th game was supposed to be on November 9, 2004.
It was actually that a blogger named Jason Kottke posted about it (he hid it in black text) after someone told him. The number of games won started being dubbed out on October 4, 2004 (First episode taped after the summer hiatus), but on Ken's 74th and 75th games, they said the number of games won. Also, the station that aired the Final Jeopardy! from his 75th game instead of his 73rd Final Jeopardy! was WMAZ. The reason was because the technician played the wrong tape. I remember seeing a post on Reddit saying the whole broadcast that day was Ken's 75th game and not just Final Jeopardy! I think the post on Reddit is right.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:46 pm
He's not saying he was spoiled by a Facebook message; he's saying someone messaged him on FB saying that Alex alluded to Spangenberg's success in an interview before those episodes aired. (Mark did use "and" where he probably meant "that"; I don't know if that contributed to the confusion.)
ET tu, seaborgium?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:54 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:46 pm
ET tu, seaborgium?
Sg understands Barrett-ese.