Thursday, February 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL LITERATURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
There are reminiscences of branding cattle & lassoing steers in “Martín Fierro”, the national poem of this Western Hemisphere country

Josh Gruenberg: 17200-15401=1799
Meaghan Kaplan: 8200+7000=15200
Brooke MacKenzie: 16300+1000=17300 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Argentina (Josh – Brazil)

Daily Doubles
Meaghan: 4600+2000
Josh: 5400+5400
Brooke: 9200+7700

Coryats
Josh: 13400
Meaghan: 6600
Brooke: 9400

Combined: 29,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Josh: 5000
Meaghan: 6600
Brooke: 5000
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Josh opened with a bottoms up run of CAST OF THE TV SHOW. After DD1 near the end of the round his lead was gone. Brooke trailed until DD3 when she hit a big 9000+7700 to take the lead.

Josh was able to narrowly regain the lead for the FJ! round, but he was odd man out being the only one to miss the clue.

It was nice to see the DDs go 3/3 after yesterday's skunking.

The FJ! clue had me match Josh for the incorrect response as I thought it was a Portuguese to W.H. country standard connection. Fortunately, I had plenty of time left to do the S.A. cowboy connect the dots to make the needed switch.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

When was the last time we went a whole week without a champion winning at least 2 games?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:29 am When was the last time we went a whole week without a champion winning at least 2 games?
Not counting the QF round of the ToC? ;)

October 18: Daryn won a second game.
21: Ryan
22: Martha
23: Allyson
24: Jamie
25: Kris
____
28: Steve
29: Steve Moulds put the brakes on the carousel.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Yes. Only regular-play.
theGrue

Post by theGrue »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:06 am The FJ! clue had me match Josh for the incorrect response as I thought it was a Portuguese to W.H. country standard connection. Fortunately, I had plenty of time left to do the S.A. cowboy connect the dots to make the needed switch.
Well I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one! Never heard of Martin Fierro, but the clues about cattle made me think of all the Brazilian Churrascaria restaurant chains (Texas de Brazil, Fogo de Chao, etc) and hey, it's a big country, why not? After writing it down I tried to think of other possibilities, but my brain started heading north to Central American rather than further south.

Once Alex mentioned gauchos I knew I was toast; Gaucho is the name of my favorite restaurant in Pittsburgh! It's an Argentinian steakhouse. :cry: I haven't been in a while, but their logo is a knife, not a cowboy, so I just never made that connection.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

theGrue wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:53 am Gaucho is the name of my favorite restaurant in Pittsburgh! It's an Argentinian steakhouse. :cry: I haven't been in a while, but their logo is a knife, not a cowboy, so I just never made that connection.
Treat yourself!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

What was the TOM for "This Is Us" on Cast for $200? Those names are absolutely unfamiliar to me, and I saw nothing more specific in the clue.

That French phrase seemed very out of place in "N.O."

Food & Drink should've been a run, but I couldn't process $800 in time and somehow brain-farted on the first half of "bring home the bacon".

Civil War was just another "in one ear and out the other" category for me. There is literally NO way to make war facts even the tiniest bit interesting or retainable to me.

Religious Fiction and Opera seemed a bit tough.

Western hemisphere country + cowboy + Hispanic name = ?????

Hate it when all the pieces are there and I still can't put them together. NHO gauchos so I was completely sunk here. Could've been anywhere.

Lach trash; desert, icicle, boiling
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Josh got on my bad side right away by running to TV shows :x
Non U.S. cowboys are gauchos, leading to Argentina. Done. :mrgreen:
Last edited by DBear on Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:29 pm
Civil War was just another "in one ear and out the other" category for me. There is literally NO way to make war facts even the tiniest bit interesting or retainable to me.
Maybe so, but two of the questions weren't even "war" questions:

200: What's the highest military award for valor?
600: What prosthetic limb was invented by Hanger?
--
Drowning in the pool
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Hispanic country with a cowboy culture took me straight to Argentina.

I have seen zero total episodes of those TV shows.
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:29 pm What was the TOM for "This Is Us" on Cast for $200? Those names are absolutely unfamiliar to me, and I saw nothing more specific in the clue.
Sterling K. Brown, who has won multiple awards for playing adult Randall, and is unquestionably the breakout member of the cast.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

ParrotRob wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:00 pm
Maybe so, but two of the questions weren't even "war" questions:

200: What's the highest military award for valor?
600: What prosthetic limb was invented by Hanger?
$200: Military stuff just makes my eyes glaze over.

$600: That seemed like a coinflip on arm/leg, and I stayed clam rather than pick the wrong one because I know that I always pick wrong on coinflips.
alamble wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:04 pm Sterling K. Brown, who has won multiple awards for playing adult Randall, and is unquestionably the breakout member of the cast.
Never heard of him.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:02 pm ...

I have seen zero total episodes of those TV shows.
Considering one of the shows in the mix, I won't claim which is which, and say for me it's 0, 0, four behind, all & all.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Recognized all but $1000, have seen none of them.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:29 pm What was the TOM for "This Is Us" on Cast for $200? Those names are absolutely unfamiliar to me, and I saw nothing more specific in the clue.
The only name I recognized was "Watson" so I yelled out "What is Jeopardy!?" and went out with an interrobang. Ok, I wouldn't have rung in with that, but the clue did spread Susan Kelechi Watson's name across two lines and I didn't notice there wasn't a comma separating the two names on one line from the one name on the next.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Josh, you played very well, but stumbled at the finish. Sorry to see you go that way. Brooke matched you punch for punch, more or less, so you had a worthy opponent. And Meaghan, though entering FJ in a distant third, brought some respectable game too. Meaghan held back a little on her FJ wager, meaning Brooke would have won with her properly cautious $1k bet, even if she'd guessed Toronto for FJ.

Man that opera category kicked my butt. I saw Verdi and "joking" and immediately went for Falstaff. Couldn't pull Beggar's Opera either. Never heard or seen it, though I'm familiar with the title and can connect it to composer John Gay (about whom I know nothing else). Then I couldn't translate the pathetically easy Italian "Figlia impura di Bolena" quickly enough to get to the obvious guess. And that was the EASY clue. That left me to get Don Giovanni and the Rhinemaidens. The latter seemed a little negbait-y for the Valkyries, if only because that's the only Wagnerian group of women one is usually expected to name. The contestants didn't fall for it and stayed clam, so no harm, no foul, as Alex always mistakenly says.

Still, I got two more of those opera clues than the contestants did. When's the last time we had a whole column TS?

The Bible wasn't a strong category for the contestants either. No one could name Jacob's two sister-wives or the prophet most associated with a whirlwind. (I almost negged with Job on that one since God spoke to Job from the whirlwind. But I realized Job wasn't a prophet and quickly recovered to name the guy who was taken up to heaven in a whirlwind by chariots of fire.) That left only one other uncovered clue in the category. Josh got it by naming the book series based on "The Rapture," a fictional event invented in the 19th century by John Nelson Darby that doesn't appear in the Bible. (Well, except in Darby's interpretation of course. But the Church got along without a "Rapture" for 1.7 millennia, so history's on my side.)

FJ was pure WECIB. We obviously weren't supposed to recognize the author or his work. So, as Alex said, pick a Hispanic country known for cowboys.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

To me the TOM was both Sterling K Brown and the "crying" bit - Alex even acted it out a little while reading the clue. "This is Us" is known to be a very melancholy drama where characters are going through a LOT of emotions. Never watched the show myself, but there's so many "I watched 'This is Us', and I cried" articles out there that it made it easier.

I wasn't going to say this, and it's probably a case of "all bald people look alike" when they really don't, but the Doctor Who clue made me think that Josh looks a little bit like a much younger version of Nardole from the show.

Score one in my "I learned it on J! this season" column for Don Giovanni. Had to take a detour to Don Juan, but quickly translated it to Italian.

Inherit the Wind is one of my favorite plays, and I pounced with Scopes, figuring the trial was named after the defendant, and not one of the lawyers.

In the same category, I wonder what they would have done with the response "Black Sox". It's the common nickname for that particular team that year. Not that I would have risked it, and you could argue that it could be a cover if you didn't know if the actual team was based in Chicago or Boston.

I'm glad I didn't think of Brazil, because I might have panicked and swerved the wrong way. I instagot "South American cattle/beef/ranging = Argentina" that I didn't even bother to think after writing down my answer.