Thursday, February 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Thursday, February 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

Alex seemed to pause a bit after the player said White Sox. So maybe Black Sox was the expected response and White Sox caught him by surprise.

Obviously, they had to take Chicago White Sox but I wouldn’t have had a problem with them taking Black Sox.

I was wondering about this in relation to our discussion on nicknames in the other thread.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:00 pm Alex seemed to pause a bit after the player said White Sox. So maybe Black Sox was the expected response and White Sox caught him by surprise.

Obviously, they had to take Chicago White Sox but I wouldn’t have had a problem with them taking Black Sox.

I was wondering about this in relation to our discussion on nicknames in the other thread.
I thought this clue had a nice Easter egg in it by reminding me that the players were ACQUITTED, yet still got the heave-ho.

So far, only Josh and myself chose the best guess based on the structure of the clue. Western Hemisphere, OK, obscure poet name and factoid, check, now how do we get to ONE of many possible choices? The name COULD be Portuguese, and Alex didn't trill the double-r heavily, so maybe that is the separator from Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, etc.. Sigh! I should have just stuck with Meryl Streep :(.

Congrats, Josh, on your brief run. We was robbed :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by goongas »

We obviously weren't supposed to recognize the author or his work.
Martin Fierro was a favorite of my Spanish teacher who is from Argentina, and we studied it, so I knew it instantly...Nightmares...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:09 pm
ParrotRob wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:00 pm 600: What prosthetic limb was invented by Hanger?
$600: That seemed like a coinflip on arm/leg, and I stayed clam rather than pick the wrong one because I know that I always pick wrong on coinflips.
The clue said that today's prostheses are still based on the one Hanger invented, and I figured that since prosthetic arms have made great advances in the last 30 years or so, it was less likely to be an arm. By and large, an arm requires a hand and its necessary complexities to be functional, whereas a leg basically just has to reach the ground to do what most people do with their legs.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:51 pm
I wasn't going to say this, and it's probably a case of "all bald people look alike" when they really don't, but the Doctor Who clue made me think that Josh looks a little bit like a much younger version of Nardole from the show.

Score one in my "I learned it on J! this season" column for Don Giovanni. Had to take a detour to Don Juan, but quickly translated it to Italian.

1. Oh no! You're starting to turn into TPH!
2. Same thoughts on DG.
OCSam
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 33,200
45 R/5 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Gulf of Aden; desert; boiling; radiation; Cher; John Hinckley, Jr.; Rachael & Leah; Elijah

I wish I had never seen that Opera Zingers category. I matched the contestants' negs on $400 and $1200 and gave the Spanish rather than the Italian name of the famous lover on the $800 clue.

Language pro-tip: in Portuguese (particularly Brazilian Portuguese), "ti" is pronounced as "chee" and "rr" is pronounced like our H, so Martín Fierro would be pronounced mar-CHEEN fee-EH-ho. Not that Alex would necessarily pronounce it correctly, but he tends to do his best on foreign words and names.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:56 am The clue said that today's prostheses are still based on the one Hanger invented, and I figured that since prosthetic arms have made great advances in the last 30 years or so, it was less likely to be an arm. By and large, an arm requires a hand and its necessary complexities to be functional, whereas a leg basically just has to reach the ground to do what most people do with their legs.
Number one, insert mbclev/wooden leg joke here.

Number two, I admit that my ability to "think outside the clue" like this is still lacking.

Also, how the hell did my mom get this FJ! right?!
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

"Hanger" made it too easy for me since there's a Hanger clinic about a mile from where I live, and I know someone who goes there now and then.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

While Argentina was the most obvious answer, there are cowboy traditions in many Latin American countries -- Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela, Uruguay, Paraguay, Peru, Chile ...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I didn't know that "gaucho" referred to anything specific. I thought it was just another word for "cowboy" since Spanish has two words for everything (cf. pared/muro).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Common was my only miss.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Noblesse Oblige, Icicles, Gulf of Aden, Desert, Boiling, Radiation, Cher, John Hinckley, Rigoletto, The Beggar's Opera, Don Giovanni, Rachel & Leah, Elizabeth I, Elijah, Rhinemaidens
Douglas Squasoni
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:51 pm I wasn't going to say this, and it's probably a case of "all bald people look alike" when they really don't
You can say it, we kind of do.
--
Drowning in the pool
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

ParrotRob wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:46 pm
talkingaway wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:51 pm I wasn't going to say this, and it's probably a case of "all bald people look alike" when they really don't
Which one are you again?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:02 pm I have seen zero total episodes of those TV shows.
I have seen every episode of "Fargo" ($600), "Riverdale" ($800), and "Westworld" ($1,000). I have seen every episode of the current incarnation of "Doctor Who" ($400), i.e., since it returned in 2005. I have seen zero episodes of "This Is Us" ($200).
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:30 pm
ParrotRob wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:46 pm
Which one are you again?
The bald one. You know.
--
Drowning in the pool
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

damn Rebel Yell had a whole bunch of hits in the archive and I never heard of it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

cf1140 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:21 pm damn Rebel Yell had a whole bunch of hits in the archive and I never heard of it.
I've heard of the term, but didn't know its exact history.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

cf1140 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:21 pm damn Rebel Yell had a whole bunch of hits in the archive and I never heard of it.
I've heard of it but it never occurred to me. The clue said it was possibly derived from fox hunting. So my mind went to "tally ho" and I guessed "alley oop".
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:41 pm
cf1140 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:21 pmdamn Rebel Yell had a whole bunch of hits in the archive and I never heard of it.
I've heard of it but it never occurred to me. The clue said it was possibly derived from fox hunting.
Sure I'm stereotyping here, but I doubt there was a ton of crossover between fox hunters and actual front-line, hollering Confederate soldiers... or maybe my impression of fox hunting leans too much on Downton Abbey.
In and out of the pool four times
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

reddpen wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:38 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:41 pm
cf1140 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:21 pmdamn Rebel Yell had a whole bunch of hits in the archive and I never heard of it.
I've heard of it but it never occurred to me. The clue said it was possibly derived from fox hunting.
Sure I'm stereotyping here, but I doubt there was a ton of crossover between fox hunters and actual front-line, hollering Confederate soldiers... or maybe my impression of fox hunting leans too much on Downton Abbey.
I just learned today that fox hunters from England (where the sport is now illegal) come to Tennessee to pursue their passion. They say the look and feel of the terrain and the stately manor homes is quite similar. The homes, they allow, are more "Roman" looking and have too many columns. I haven't researched any of this, but that's what I just heard.