The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, February 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:39 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:17 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:42 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:28 pm "French" was MONSTROUS negbait on Suriname for $400. I actually said "WHAT?!" on that one. "Dutch Guyana" is utterly unfamiliar to me.
Hell no on the negbait. The clue specifically said it was part of the country's old name. There is currently a French Guiana so it couldn't have been that. (Never mind that French Guiana isn't even a country.)
Then why did one person say French anyway, and the other two have no idea?
Because there is a French territory called French Guiana adjacent to Guyana. It was easy for them to get confused between the two, but the country Guyana was a former Dutch colony.
You mean Suriname?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:08 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:39 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:17 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:42 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:28 pm "French" was MONSTROUS negbait on Suriname for $400. I actually said "WHAT?!" on that one. "Dutch Guyana" is utterly unfamiliar to me.
Hell no on the negbait. The clue specifically said it was part of the country's old name. There is currently a French Guiana so it couldn't have been that. (Never mind that French Guiana isn't even a country.)
Then why did one person say French anyway, and the other two have no idea?
Because there is a French territory called French Guiana adjacent to Guyana. It was easy for them to get confused between the two, but the country Guyana was a former Dutch colony.
You mean Suriname?
Ugh. Yeah, meant Suriname.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:27 pm They tried so hard to steer all of you away from saying French. The clue specifically said it's the former name of Suriname. Suriname and French Guiana are both things that currently exist, so neither could be the current or former name of the other. The fact that you have to zero in on "_____ Guiana" and ignore everything else to respond "French" makes it not negbait.
Then why did a contestant say "French" anyway? And why did neither of the other two rebound?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:16 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:27 pm They tried so hard to steer all of you away from saying French. The clue specifically said it's the former name of Suriname. Suriname and French Guiana are both things that currently exist, so neither could be the current or former name of the other. The fact that you have to zero in on "_____ Guiana" and ignore everything else to respond "French" makes it not negbait.
Then why did a contestant say "French" anyway? And why did neither of the other two rebound?
People miss easy things on Jeopardy! all the time. So do most of us at home. It happens. It's not the end of the world. Move on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lemmings fall off cliffs all the time (I'm led to understand), but it's not the cliff's fault.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:20 pm
People miss easy things on Jeopardy! all the time. So do most of us at home. It happens. It's not the end of the world. Move on.
Heck, I had two almost in a row in my third game. One clue referred to the "mines of this king" in Jordan; I thought "mines = gold, and gold + king = Midas" and promptly negged. Leaving aside the finer details like how far the former Phrygia is from Jordan, what need would King Midas have for mines??? Two clues later "the seven cities of this golden land" got mentioned in a clue. I went "golden land = El Dorado" without realizing that I knew El Dorado as a city unto itself, not as a land with seven cities. Both times I allowed parts of the clue mislead me into a neg, but it was because seeing a portion that created a particular association caused me to have tunnel vision on that portion, not because a writer decided to dare an indefinite future contestant to ring in with something they thought they knew.

It's not totally unexpected that someone would say French here (I think Midas was further afield), but I can imagine this exchange happening between writers:
"Don't you think asking for a word preceding 'Guiana' will cause somebody to respond with 'French'?"
"It's a category about Suriname! Jeopardy contestants know French Guiana and Suriname are different places!"
mas3cf

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf »

"Suriname was once Dutch" is one of Jeopardy's all-time favorite geopolitical facts.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If a clue with "Abyssinian" wants a country then go with Ethiopia for a Pavlov.

The FJ! clue is more about the Broadway show supposedly being known enough for the FJ! round and not the movie. You will have plenty of company for being out of luck tonight on that one and it is the kind not to sweat for a second as you move on.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

While I knew Maui is the Valley Isle, I agree that the clue was top box neg bait for Oahu. Had it not been in the top box, I would feel different.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:40 pm If a clue with "Abyssinian" wants a country then go with Ethiopia for a Pavlov.
I've seen that word but never gathered its meaning.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:40 pm The FJ! clue is more about the Broadway show supposedly being known enough for the FJ! round and not the movie. You will have plenty of company for being out of luck tonight on that one and it is the kind not to sweat for a second as you move on.
My concern is less "will this slip out of my head again" and more "I hope I don't get a oner like this when I'm on". (Unless of course I have a runaway.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:43 pm While I knew Maui is the Valley Isle, I agree that the clue was top box neg bait for Oahu. Had it not been in the top box, I would feel different.
The Hawaiian Islands should be on your short list study guide if you get the call.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:12 pm
Golf wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:43 pm While I knew Maui is the Valley Isle, I agree that the clue was top box neg bait for Oahu. Had it not been in the top box, I would feel different.
The Hawaiian Islands should be on your short list study guide if you get the call.
I've been to Oahu and still fell for the negbait. And that completely jarred me enough not to remember Maui. I think the same thing happened to the contestants: they were all glommed onto Oahu and just couldn't shift gears after it was negged.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If it makes you feel better I said Hilo. Not sure why I did that.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:32 pm If it makes you feel better I said Hilo. Not sure why I did that.
You panicked!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

You don't remember these clues? :D

#3454, aired 1999-09-16 NOTHING NEW HERE $1000: Conakry is the capital of this African country northwest of the gulf that shares its name

#5238, aired 2007-05-23 GHANA IN 60 SECONDS $2000: Ghana is located in West Africa on this gulf that bears the name of another African country
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:37 pm You don't remember these clues? :D

#3454, aired 1999-09-16 NOTHING NEW HERE $1000: Conakry is the capital of this African country northwest of the gulf that shares its name

#5238, aired 2007-05-23 GHANA IN 60 SECONDS $2000: Ghana is located in West Africa on this gulf that bears the name of another African country
Yeah, I think we can safely say that Guinea isn't likely to come up again anytime soon, just like "Waitress".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:39 pm

Yeah, I think we can safely say that Guinea isn't likely to come up again anytime soon, just like "Waitress".
It will come up again but it will be Equatorial, Guinea-Bissau, the coin or the pig.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:43 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:39 pm

It will come up again but it will be Equatorial, Guinea-Bissau, the coin or the pig.

Don't overlook the coolest rural status symbol you can have, the Guinea fowl. They are an ugly-ass naked neck bird that usually have free range status amongst hobby farmers. If you have 4 or 5 of them, you don't need a television. They are so dumb and so much fun to watch. You can have one on the outside of a small fenced area (like the chicken run), while the rest are inside. The outside one will run back and forth a hundred times looking for a gate and usually giving up. Then out of the blue they just fly over. It always reminds me of a Looney tune when Daffy and Bugs are falling off a cliff. After going over their options, Daffy chooses to just fly.

They are speedy runners and will run around every building randomly for no reason except that the one in front is running. People who've never owned them say they make good watchdogs because they will collect like a choir and just yack their heads off at you. No, they just do this randomly to be annoying.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:32 pm If it makes you feel better I said Hilo. Not sure why I did that.
Subconciously, you wanted to bookend the contestant who said "Kona".
OCSam
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Burns: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3881&p=232981&hilit=burns#p232981

Poll request seen for Johnny and I'll take over 75% in the poll.