J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: J! in the Media

Post by talkingaway »

One weird thing that I noticed in the Ken Jennings episode of the "Alex collection"....they must have used an "audience edit" of Ken Jennings' introduction, because they omit the number of days of his championship....instead of "Ken Jennings, whose 56-day cash winnings total...", it's just "Ken Jennings, whose cash winnings total...". You just get so used to Johnny saying that phrase that it's a little bit jarring when he omits the number of days.

Of course, Alex's intro often gives away to the audience mega-winners, but I guess that's one way to hide the exact possibility of a record breaker to the audience - at least in terms of the length of stay.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:25 am One weird thing that I noticed in the Ken Jennings episode of the "Alex collection"....they must have used an "audience edit" of Ken Jennings' introduction, because they omit the number of days of his championship....instead of "Ken Jennings, whose 56-day cash winnings total...", it's just "Ken Jennings, whose cash winnings total...". You just get so used to Johnny saying that phrase that it's a little bit jarring when he omits the number of days.

Of course, Alex's intro often gives away to the audience mega-winners, but I guess that's one way to hide the exact possibility of a record breaker to the audience - at least in terms of the length of stay.
They actually did that during the shows' original airings. I believe the theory was, they were trying to downplay the effects of the news of his loss leaking to the internet. The number of days was certainly in Johnny Gilbert's original introductions.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:37 am
talkingaway wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:25 am One weird thing that I noticed in the Ken Jennings episode of the "Alex collection"....they must have used an "audience edit" of Ken Jennings' introduction, because they omit the number of days of his championship....instead of "Ken Jennings, whose 56-day cash winnings total...", it's just "Ken Jennings, whose cash winnings total...". You just get so used to Johnny saying that phrase that it's a little bit jarring when he omits the number of days.

They actually did that during the shows' original airings. I believe the theory was, they were trying to downplay the effects of the news of his loss leaking to the internet. The number of days was certainly in Johnny Gilbert's original introductions.
Yes, they also added the Kids Week (which I remember reading here was supposed to air for Season 21's premiere week, but delayed because of Jennings) and College Championship to move Ken's final episode from November 9 to November 30. Johnny did announce the number of games Jennings won during the taping, but it was edited out starting with his 49th game (the first episode taped after the summer hiatus, as the first four weeks of the season including the ToC were taped before the summer hiatus because of the possibility of a WGA strike, same thing happened in Season 34), but in his 74th and 75th games, Johnny announcing the number of games won was not edited out.
Last edited by gameshowfandanny on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:04 am Johnny (and Kelly, since she announces Monday-Wednesday, but gets dubbed over Johnny) did announce the number of games Jennings won during the taping,
Kelly didn't join the show until 2005.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:08 am
gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:04 am Johnny (and Kelly, since she announces Monday-Wednesday, but gets dubbed over Johnny) did announce the number of games Jennings won during the taping,
Oh, I forgot about that, Kelly did introduce herself at the end of David Madden's final episode.
goongas

Post by goongas »

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

And her last day on the job was 2018-12-18. And Johnny was still doing all five games in 2010. Not sure when he cut his schedule to afternoons, but probably only within the last couple years.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:01 pm
And her last day on the job was 2018-12-18. And Johnny was still doing all five games in 2010. Not sure when he cut his schedule to afternoons, but probably only within the last couple years.
Johnny announced morning and afternoon session on the taping day we attended about 10 December 2018. I don't know if that was an exception of course.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

From an article by The Washington Post TV critic Hank Steuver about what to watch during these difficult times:

Even during relatively peaceful times, I hear from readers who insist that TV offer escape — and only that. They can’t handle intense dramas. They have a common list of triggers (violence, crime, sexual situations, horror . . . one reader once told me she can’t stand any shows where people raise their voices at one another).

I often can’t recommend much more than “Jeopardy!” to them, but here’s my best attempt to offer some ideas that are either somewhat gentle, escapist, purely funny or some combination of the three.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Now seems like a good time to remind anyone sequestered with a TV that gets Xumo that the streaming service has the recent Alex Trebek documentary Game Changers available for free (with intermittent ads).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From the March 30 - April 12 edition of TV Guide (spoiler to reduce size of post):
Spoiler

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

When they relaxed the age requirements for the tryouts for the 2016 College Championship, I thought they would've had a specifically older student, rather than just having two 23-year-olds and a 24-year-old (at the time of the tournament). I wouldn't be eligible for this tournament no matter what, but I was expecting to see someone 40+ in any of the subsequent tournaments.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:55 am When they relaxed the age requirements for the tryouts for the 2016 College Championship, I thought they would've had a specifically older student, rather than just having two 23-year-olds and a 24-year-old (at the time of the tournament). I wouldn't be eligible for this tournament no matter what, but I was expecting to see someone 40+ in any of the subsequent tournaments.
There were age requirements? I thought the rule has always just been that you had to be a full-time student working toward your first bachelor's degree at a four-year college. I vaguely recall reading a long time ago that there had been a 28-year-old CC contestant.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:39 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:55 am When they relaxed the age requirements for the tryouts for the 2016 College Championship, I thought they would've had a specifically older student, rather than just having two 23-year-olds and a 24-year-old (at the time of the tournament). I wouldn't be eligible for this tournament no matter what, but I was expecting to see someone 40+ in any of the subsequent tournaments.
There were age requirements? I thought the rule has always just been that you had to be a full-time student working toward your first bachelor's degree at a four-year college. I vaguely recall reading a long time ago that there had been a 28-year-old CC contestant.
I was 29 when I tried out in November of 95. The only mention in the letter, which I am looking at now, was "you must be a full-time undergraduate student with no previous bachelor's degrees."
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Not sure how to post a picture, but a link to my favorite active comic, which shouts out J!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-e5SjwDufA ... 5btsc1s9c8
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

There are also age requirements for the Teen Tournament
Last edited by kablamfan11 on Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.