2020 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Re: 2020 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

With the mayor of Los Angeles declaring a state of emergency over the coronavirus, I was wondering if that means that this season of J! will either be cut short or if the remaining tapings will be delayed a while.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:56 am With the mayor of Los Angeles declaring a state of emergency over the coronavirus, I was wondering if that means that this season of J! will either be cut short or if the remaining tapings will be delayed a while.
The state of emergency declaration is probably just a trigger to release emergency funding. It seems like everything is business as usual and only travel to highly infected areas will be disrupted.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:56 am With the mayor of Los Angeles declaring a state of emergency over the coronavirus, I was wondering if that means that this season of J! will either be cut short or if the remaining tapings will be delayed a while.
The "Jeopardy!" studio is not in the city of Los Angeles -- Culver City is a separate municipality.

Although it's still in the county of Los Angeles, which is itself in "public health emergency" status.

But I can indeed attest to things being "business as usual" right now in the city and county of Los Angeles.
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Re: 2020 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Peachbox »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:52 pm May Stephen King book with four novellas: If It Bleeds

July movie with Dwayne Johnson & Emily Blunt based on Disneyland attraction: Jungle Cruise

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_HvoipFcA8

"Raiders of the Lost Rock" or "Rockmancing the Stone?"
The Tasmanian Devil Wears Prada
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: 2020 Current Events Study Guide

Post by squarekara »

Peachbox wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:22 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:52 pm July movie with Dwayne Johnson & Emily Blunt based on Disneyland attraction: Jungle Cruise
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_HvoipFcA8
"Raiders of the Lost Rock" or "Rockmancing the Stone?"
The Tasmanian Devil Wears Prada
Into the Tropical Woods
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:46 pm The NCAA announced that the upcoming Men’s and Women's Basketball Tournaments, a.k.a. March Madness, will go spectator-free amid growing coronavirus concerns. The NCAA will hold the games in front of essential staff and family members only.
Grr...getting closer and closer to the end of April. Me no likey.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:01 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:46 pm The NCAA announced that the upcoming Men’s and Women's Basketball Tournaments, a.k.a. March Madness, will go spectator-free amid growing coronavirus concerns. The NCAA will hold the games in front of essential staff and family members only.
I had considering a trip to Honda Center (Anaheim] tomorrow for a couple of Big West Conference tournament games. Glad I hadn't bought that ticket yet.
OCSam
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote:July movie with Dwayne Johnson & Emily Blunt based on Disneyland attraction: Jungle Cruise
At this point, I wouldn't assume that any movie is going to open on its scheduled date, especially not four months out.

"No Time to Die" got all the attention, but at least two other movies that were being widely promoted have had their release dates pushed back, "My Spy" and "Peter Rabbit 2."
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

trainman wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:52 am
MarkBarrett wrote:July movie with Dwayne Johnson & Emily Blunt based on Disneyland attraction: Jungle Cruise
At this point, I wouldn't assume that any movie is going to open on its scheduled date, especially not four months out.

"No Time to Die" got all the attention, but at least two other movies that were being widely promoted have had their release dates pushed back, "My Spy" and "Peter Rabbit 2."
So has F9, aka Fast and the Furious 9. Its release has been pushed back a year.
Volante

Post by Volante »

OrangeSAM wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:32 pm
I had considering a trip to Honda Center (Anaheim] tomorrow for a couple of Big West Conference tournament games. Glad I hadn't bought that ticket yet.
NHL is now suspended, spring training is suspended, and MLB opening day getting postponed two weeks.

-My- games are as yet unaffected but they're just three weeks after that.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Dang, the whole tourney. Too bad there can't be one game with Kansas vs. Gonzaga.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

For those of you who are looking for info on COVID-19 and the expected life of the pandemic, check out Joe Rogan's interview with Michael Osterholm, an infectious disease expert who, in a book published in 2017, predicted this scenario would happen.

https://youtu.be/cZFhjMQrVts
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:50 pm
NHL is now suspended, spring training is suspended, and MLB opening day getting postponed two weeks.

You taking a trip to Culver City?
Volante

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:04 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:50 pm

You taking a trip to Culver City?
MLB games in Phoenix that I have tickets for.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:11 am
...It seems like everything is business as usual...
Disneyland has announced it will close and widespread panic has overtaken Southern California. Armageddon is upon us.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:52 pm
Disneyland has announced it will close and widespread panic has overtaken Southern California. Armageddon is upon us.
At least Wally World will stay open, right? RIGHT??!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Volante...bummer on the baseball and not getting the call.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:08 pm Volante...bummer on the baseball and not getting the call.
Not a bummer on baseball yet...there's still all of April for this to clear up. But I am allowing myself a low level of anxiety about it.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:04 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:52 pm
At least Wally World will stay open, right? RIGHT??!
Closed for two weeks for cleaning and repair
Total game show career losings = $171,522
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:10 pm MLB games in Phoenix that I have tickets for.
I was contemplating going to see my beloved Rays at Wrigley Field over Fourth of July weekend, but at this point, I'm waiting to see how MLB alters the schedule to account for the missing two weeks. I suspect they'll at least make sure teams play the full 18-19 games against each of their division opponents.