Friday, March 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BIRDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Black-footed & black-browed are 2 species of this seabird whose name was influenced by the Latin word for "white"

Jessica Babbitt: 13400+11600=25000 (3x = $71,598)
Kim Lifeso: 6000+3000=9000
Duncan Weals: 12100-6000=6100

Correct response:
Spoiler
albatross (Duncan – boobie)

Daily Doubles
Duncan: 3200+1500
Kim: 4400-2000
Jessica: 11400+2000

Coryats
Jessica: 13400
Kim: 8000
Duncan: 11400

Combined: 32,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jessica: 1800
Kim: minus 800
Duncan: 5700
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Double Alabama problem with a transmission freeze during the chat segment and then a news break-in after the DJ! round to announce the first coronavirus case in the state. Fortunately, J! resumed during think music to air the conclusion of the FJ! round.

The players had a rough J! round with a combined Coryat of just 6000. DJ! picked up the pace and things got better on the way to 32,800.

Plenty of action for the 4th podium as we would not need Alex to give the correct response after three negs for the woman tennis player with the most Wimbledon wins.

Warning for Yankees fans: #4 with his number retired is a whiff

Warning for space fans: The 2-man program is negged for Apollo and then no rebound

The easiest clue to predict a TS was in 1940s LITERATURE for $1200: This 1944 Charles Jackson novel about a chronic alcoholic won 4 Oscars when it came to the big screen a year later

I laughed as I picked up the trash and said, "Yeah, right!"

Playing the FJ! with the handicap of less than 30 seconds worked out okay today as Latin, white and bird is of course is something I can handle or I would have to refund some of my J! winnings from aught five.

Jessica closed well from a trailing position to convert DD3 at clue 30 for the lead. Duncan led 12100 to 11400 to 6000 and Jessica added 2000. Lots of plays there on the last clue and a pretty 2000 is typical.

With the FJ! round wager Jessica went to $25,000 on the nose when 24201 was the normal landing spot. No matter as with the solve the game was hers once again.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Neg-fest for me: Woody Allen for Gracie, Bob and Joe instead of Bob and Carl, Ruth for Gehrig, King for Navratilova, and the wrong Dakota for Black Hills.

However, I ran the two word categories.

Lach Trash: Michigan

====

$200 in Smithsonian was so "blah blah blah" that by time she got to "designated as these", my brain was miles off course and couldn't snap back in time. They really need to trim those freaking clues already.

Why can I NOT keep the goddamn Dakotas straight? I always pick the wrong one for both Rushmore and Black Hills, for Pierre and Bismarck, for which one actually has more than 278 people in it...

State the Problem felt very thin on TOMs. Don't recognize "Bloody Sunday", had no idea there actually was a place called Revere, nor could I pin that weird name at $400 to any state. My only get was $1,000.

Neither Emily Blunt nor John Krasinski was familiar to me in the top box. I also don't recognize a single work in either of their filmographies.

White? Blanco. Blanche. Weiss. Tossed it around in my head for a good five minutes but just couldn't noodle this one and ended up with a blank screen. I know lots of Latin words, but white = album was new to my Latin vocabulary.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:05 am Double Alabama problem with a transmission freeze during the chat segment and then a news break-in after the DJ! round to announce the first coronavirus case in the state. Fortunately, J! resumed during think music to air the conclusion of the FJ! round.

The players had a rough J! round with a combined Coryat of just 6000. DJ! picked up the pace and things got better on the way to 32,800.
Yeah, that was one of the ugliest J! rounds in a while.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:30 pm ...Ruth for Gehrig...
Not that it's gonna stick with you (probably), but the Yankees first uniform numbers were based on their position in the lineup, and Ruth famously batted 3rd (to guarantee he'd get up in the first inning). Gehrig batted clean up behind Ruth.

Also, July 4th is part of the hint, as his retirement speech and event was on July 4th. "I consider myself (self, self, self) .. the luckiest man (man, man, man) on the face of the earth (earth, earth, earth)."
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $44,200 (50R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Nice way to end the week. Too bad for the video category, would have been nice to see all 61 clues. Negged with Stella on the Streetcar clue.

Congrats to Jessica, she's got a nice run going!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MitchO wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:34 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:30 pm ...Ruth for Gehrig...
Not that it's gonna stick with you (probably), but the Yankees first uniform numbers were based on their position in the lineup, and Ruth famously batted 3rd (to guarantee he'd get up in the first inning). Gehrig batted clean up behind Ruth.

Also, July 4th is part of the hint, as his retirement speech and event was on July 4th. "I consider myself (self, self, self) .. the luckiest man (man, man, man) on the face of the earth (earth, earth, earth)."
I knew the "luckiest man" speech, but not who delivered it.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:18 pm I knew the "luckiest man" speech, but not who delivered it.
He was forced to retire in his prime because of what is now commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Awful first round and even the interview portion was a bit off. I don’t keep track of LT myself but I’m sure most viewers were surprised by the number of TS.

I don’t know how to post photos from my iPhone here but I was in the Falklands & have great close ups of albatrosses. Magical day.

I do like the current champ and was glad she won again.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MitchO wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:22 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:18 pm I knew the "luckiest man" speech, but not who delivered it.
He was forced to retire in his prime because of what is now commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.
Just yet another case of me only half-knowing things. Obviously Lou Gehrig's disease is named for him, but how it came to be named for him, or the fact that he retired at all, were both new to me. I thought maybe it was something he'd gotten later in life.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Why can't we get contestants who are as bad at movies as they are in sports? :x
Jeers to the contestants for running away from the Norman Conquest. :o
FJ! Latin for white = albedo. Albatross. Done. :mrgreen:
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:49 pm how it came to be named for him, or the fact that he retired at all, were both new to me.
I think you meant "retired because of the disease". Your statement implies that you think he just died in the middle of the season.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I didn't know what Latin for "white" was so I went the other way, starting with sea birds first. Swan, penguin, pelican, oooh pelican, that sounds maybe Latinish? Let me keep going. Albatross... wait, albinos are white, is that the same root? Well, let's go with it.

Woohoo!
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:29 pmLet me keep going. Albatross... wait, albinos are white, is that the same root?
Again, not knowing that album = white caused me not to notice the obvious roots in albino, albumen, and albatross. No idea how that particular Latin root slipped past me.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I think that FJ might have been the most painful 10 min of TV that I’ve watched in a good long time. Even Alex sounded pained. Fortunately, they turned it around in DJ, which was well-played. FJ: Bird+white+Latin? Done.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Some time in December, I pre-called a FJ! response and managed not to get it.

Today, I got "alb" instantly and still managed not to get "albatross".

How? What? How? Three excellent questions.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:48 am Some time in December, I pre-called a FJ! response and managed not to get it.

Today, I got "alb" instantly and still managed not to get "albatross".

How? What? How? Three excellent questions.
At least once, I've actually said the correct response OUT LOUD and still didn't realize it was correct because I couldn't see what connection it had to the category:
Final Jeopardy! for April 13, 2017 wrote: International Symbols: Now representing an organization, it was formally adopted in Article 7 of the 1864 Geneva Convention
Some idiot named TenPoundHammer, in the April 13, 2017 thread wrote: Geneva = Switzerland = okay, that's a red cross, but what does that have to do with an organization?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Hit the "white" to "albino" to "albatross" connection pretty quickly for FJ!, for my first ever Box of Glory. I have a stupid game on my phone called Pocket Frogs where you breed different colored virtual frogs - kinda like Pokemon, but with no RPG elements. Haven't played it in ages. One of the color names is "albeo" - that also helped.

I had some weird problems interpreting the category names. For STATE THE PROBLEM, when the first clue was about the Black Hills flood, I thought they were literally looking for a problem, so I said "What is the dam broke?" Looking it up, my response is actually is correct, assuming that Alex's explanation of the category didn't get cut. I also thought FIRST NAME OF FAMOUS PAIRS was going to be something like "Mouse and Mantle", for which the response would be "Who is Mickey?"...but in their defense, they didn't say -SAME- first name, so that's on me.

"What city is associated with the Hajj?" is a fourth row clue? And after "Islam" is given in the third row as a reminder if you didn't know what religion Hajj was? C'mon. The "pillars of Islam" is at least a little tricker than "Mecca".

I have the hardest time going from "Dutch" to "the Netherlands". As soon as I saw "tulip", I knew that it was the Dutch country, and blurted out the country of Holland. Ooo, sorry.

I'm sure just "Blanche" wouldn't be enough for the character "Blanche DuBois"....I'd have to depend on the kindness of the judges. I couldn't get out a last name in time, and it's 50/50 that I would blurt out "Devereaux" accidentally if prodded.