Friday, March 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

Women authors and the Chile coup took me directly to Isabel Allende and then I had a WECIB feeling. I don't know why they even needed to mention the terrorist attack. That could have led to just about anybody. Unless they were making the point that the events happened on the same date. (Also the same day of the week, considering the 28-year calendar cycle.)

Hillary Clinton was an incredibly bad answer considering she also came up in the TV category. I can't imagine they would have the Final Jeopardy answer come up in the first two rounds.

I wonder if they were being too generous by accepting his pronunciation of the ancient name of Mexico City. Was that fair to everyone else who has ever been emanciptated of winnings because of a mispronunciation?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Welp, that FJ! was a NHO for me. I'm pretty bad on modern literature that wouldn't have been part of the high school or college curriculum in the late 80s or early 90s. I assume the clue was tantamount to "Name a modern Chilean author who emigrated to the US", right?

Wanted so badly for a contestant to respond with "What's the deal with Seinfeld?" for the Art Vandelay clue.

"Weep and you weep alone" is a TS? I mean, I'll admit, I thought it was "cry", but it seemed fairly easy for a bottom row clue. I suppose it's long enough that you could get tripped up and say "whole world", but I avoided the slip.

With GAME "OVER", I thought for sure one clue was going to be Overwatch. But instead, I learned that "overshoe" is apparently...a thing?

For DD2, I reflexively thought "Queen Elizbet..." before I shut myself up by remembering, duh, that she's the Virgin Queen. Didn't have time to correct myself, but I would have eventually gotten to Mary Queen of Scots given a few more seconds.

In service of the environment, J! is recycling clues; "O Fortuna" was in a Seth Wilson's Netflix episode that I had just watched, but with audio. Got it right then, got it right now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Surprisingly, I ran Planets.

Kimmel/Damon was utterly unfamiliar to me. I got only Murphy Brown in that category.

Also struggled in 5 Vowels. Whiffed with "audition" at $200, couldn't pull the next two, but got $800 and $1,000.

NHO "overshoes". Weird when the top box is not only my sole miss, but also my sole NHOI.

"Bring It On" was also unfamiliar to me in the top box, although it could be the generic name. Ended up 0/5 in that category too.

No guess on FJ! Chile = Allende rings a faint bell after the fact, but it wasn't happening in the moment.

Lach Trash: "laugh, and the world laughs with you"
Golf

Post by Golf »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:01 pm In service of the environment, J! is recycling clues; "O Fortuna" was in a Seth Wilson's Netflix episode that I had just watched, but with audio. Got it right then, got it right now.
Wasn't fond of the term "song" for O Fortuna, don't think that's accurate. It's a movement. Regardless, have seen multiple performances of Carmina Burana and it's always amazing from start to finish. I think many tend to come strictly for O Fortuna and quickly get sucked in by the 23 movements in between.

Have tried and can't find anything positive to say about the FJ wagers.
davey

Post by davey »

bluejaylink wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:04 pm I had "Allende" but couldn't pull the first name in time. Judges?

Do I need a first name to distinguish her from her father, even though he wasn't a writer?
He also isn't likely to come up on Jeopardy! His name was Tomás Allende. Salvador Allende was her godfather and cousin once removed.
Isabel is a J! perennial, showing up some 40 times in the archive. Salvador has come up fewer than 30 times.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:47 pm
I wonder if they were being too generous by accepting his pronunciation of the ancient name of Mexico City. Was that fair to everyone else who has ever been emanciptated of winnings because of a mispronunciation?
He didn't mispronounce it. He said it hesitantly, and with a big pause before the end, but he got all 4 syllables in.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:13 pm Did Alex call Tina Fey “the original SNL cast”?
No. He said "The early--the early days" and she said "Very early."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:27 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:13 pm Did Alex call Tina Fey “the original SNL cast”?
Thanks for the correction. The comment is just as inaccurate, however.
davey

Post by davey »

That was odd. Saturday Night Live had already been on the air for more than 20 years when Tina Fey joined the cast.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I must say that Alex was a bit generous saying it was a "tough, tough final"

As others have said, Chile + woman author = Isabel Allende everytime.

Saturn, rye, the Brooklyn Bridge, and Bartolomeu Dias + a correct FJ was all I needed for a 4th podium win.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:26 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:47 pm
He didn't mispronounce it. He said it hesitantly, and with a big pause before the end, but he got all 4 syllables in.
Specifically, his pronunciation went "tin-knocked-it...lin," which successfully (if not accurately) represented every letter in Tenochtitlan. It was fine to accept it.

More eyebrow-raising to me was Michonne successfully altering two of her responses, changing "Eurorail" to "Eurail Pass" when Alex asked her to say it again, and "roll vote" to "roll call" when Alex hesitated. I know it's fair game to take another stab if Alex hasn't ruled against you, but with the way the wagering went, she may have pulled victory from the jaws of defeat in those moments, to Abhijit's detriment.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:44 pm More eyebrow-raising to me was Michonne successfully altering two of her responses, changing "Eurorail" to "Eurail Pass" when Alex asked her to say it again, and "roll vote" to "roll call" when Alex hesitated. I know it's fair game to take another stab if Alex hasn't ruled against you, but with the way the wagering went, she may have pulled victory from the jaws of defeat in those moments, to Abhijit's detriment.
Never understood why contestants can't/haven't been instructed to simply repeat exactly what they just said when Alex asks.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:33 pm That was odd. Saturday Night Live had already been on the air for more than 20 years when Tina Fey joined the cast.
OTOH, the first season with all three mentioned players was Season 27, which at this point was almost 20 years ago.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:49 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:44 pm More eyebrow-raising to me was Michonne successfully altering two of her responses, changing "Eurorail" to "Eurail Pass" when Alex asked her to say it again, and "roll vote" to "roll call" when Alex hesitated. I know it's fair game to take another stab if Alex hasn't ruled against you, but with the way the wagering went, she may have pulled victory from the jaws of defeat in those moments, to Abhijit's detriment.
Never understood why contestants can't/haven't been instructed to simply repeat exactly what they just said when Alex asks.
"Roll vote" seems to be a less common synonym for "roll call vote." I googled it.
It's not clear that Michonne said Eurorail. If she did, she repeated it as Eurorail Pass, and should have been negged. If she didn't, then Alex's prompt served as a BMS.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:58 pm
davey wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:33 pm That was odd. Saturday Night Live had already been on the air for more than 20 years when Tina Fey joined the cast.
OTOH, the first season with all three mentioned players was Season 27, which at this point was almost 20 years ago.
They were on at about the midpoint of the show’s run. The midpoint of the constitution is about 1904. Is Teddy Roosevelt a very early president?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

To any kid looking at Mt. Rushmore he is!
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Golf wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:09 pm Wasn't fond of the term "song" for O Fortuna, don't think that's accurate. It's a movement.
I've been critical of the writers' misuse of "song" in the past, but I don't have a problem with the usage here. Carmina literally means "songs," and I think the Orff work can reasonably be considered a song cycle.
Golf wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:09 pm Regardless, have seen multiple performances of Carmina Burana and it's always amazing from start to finish. I think many tend to come strictly for O Fortuna and quickly get sucked in by the 23 movements in between.
This I agree with wholeheartedly.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Another Condi Rice here, after dismissing Albright. On reveal, I recognize/remember Allende's name but couldn't extract it after wasting time remembering Eva/Evita Peron.
davey wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:18 pm Isabel is a J! perennial, showing up some 40 times in the archive. Salvador has come up fewer than 30 times.
I think this explains our high boardie get rate. Not saying y'all don't read, but damn... Too bad that osmosis takes 41 times to work for me.
I thought Eurail pass and roll call were OK rulings, find a way to rule them right not a technicality to fail them!
Galoshes is a cool word. Overshoes is just skanky.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:32 pm
Thanks for the correction. The comment is just as inaccurate, however.
That's what makes it a joke.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:18 pm
bluejaylink wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:04 pm I had "Allende" but couldn't pull the first name in time. Judges?

Do I need a first name to distinguish her from her father, even though he wasn't a writer?
He also isn't likely to come up on Jeopardy! His name was Tomás Allende. Salvador Allende was her godfather and cousin once removed.
Isabel is a J! perennial, showing up some 40 times in the archive. Salvador has come up fewer than 30 times.
Yeah, I think many people probably don't realize there are two Isabel Allendes of some fame. There's the writer, whose relationship to Salvador Allende is described above, and then there's Salvador Allende's daughter who was/is also a Chilean politician.