J! to Tape Without Live Audience

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Also, for the record, media companies (I'm 99% sure J!'s production company would fall within this) are exempt from the restrictions in LA County. Thus, the post-production workflow of the show isn't going to be prevented from happening.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:28 pm Also, for the record, media companies (I'm 99% sure J!'s production company would fall within this) are exempt from the restrictions in LA County. Thus, the post-production workflow of the show isn't going to be prevented from happening.
Looking over a summary of the state order, the nearest exemption I see is for "news outlets", which I can't see covering J! operations.
OCSam
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

OrangeSAM wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:02 pm Looking over a summary of the state order, the nearest exemption I see is for "news outlets", which I can't see covering J! operations.
Governor Newsom's order refers to "workers who support radio, television, and media service, including, but not limited to front line news reporters, studio, and technicians for newsgathering and reporting" as essential. It could definitely be argued that the people who handle J! distribution (along with the distribution of many other shows) fall under "workers who support radio, television, and media service."

But given that they're working with digital files, it's plausible that they don't have to be in a production facility. (A friend of mine who works as a finishing editor, primarily for home video releases of movies, something that's normally always done in an office for security reasons, is able to work from home due to the current circumstances.)
pompetti

Post by pompetti »

Just an FYI, one of the 2 hotels that the Jeopardy! contestant co-ordinators recommended for contestants to use is shut down from 3/22 - 4/19/2020. The other is still taking reservations at this time.
DisneyFor2000Alex
Contributor

Post by DisneyFor2000Alex »

As was just posted, my hotel just canceled my reservation for the April 13/14 tape dates. Debating whether I should make an alternate reservation now or just wait a bit - I simply can't imaging they are going to be back to taping by then. I think they are just optimistically waiting until it's closer to cancel. It's crazy to finally get the call and have it be thwarted by a global pandemic!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

DisneyFor2000Alex wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:36 am As was just posted, my hotel just canceled my reservation for the April 13/14 tape dates. Debating whether I should make an alternate reservation now or just wait a bit - I simply can't imaging they are going to be back to taping by then. I think they are just optimistically waiting until it's closer to cancel. It's crazy to finally get the call and have it be thwarted by a global pandemic!
Given that there are tape dates ahead of you that have already been canceled, I doubt your session will happen on those dates even if the virus magically vanished overnight. I wouldn’t waste my time making a reservation.

I truly hate this for you, but hopefully once they start back you won’t lose your place in line.
DisneyFor2000Alex
Contributor

Post by DisneyFor2000Alex »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:58 am I truly hate this for you, but hopefully once they start back you won’t lose your place in line.
Thanks! I'm looking at it as being in the unique position of getting the call and having more than the usual one month to study! :geek:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

DisneyFor2000Alex wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:35 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:58 am I truly hate this for you, but hopefully once they start back you won’t lose your place in line.
Thanks! I'm looking at it as being in the unique position of getting the call and having more than the usual one month to study! :geek:
I feel your pain. I got the call in Sept 2018 but couldn’t do it because I had just taped another game show (after giving up hope that Jeopardy! would ever call).

Then I auditioned at Trivia Nationals in Vegas last summer and made it known to Maggie et. al. that I was on the cusp of being eligible again (12 months since my Millionaire game aired). I left the audition with a good feeling, but anyone who meets Maggie leaves with a good feeling. Now the months have gone by without a second call. I kept telling myself to have faith in the process, and then the world came to a screeching halt. I still believe it has to happen, but the uncertainty is killer.
akrites
Valued Contributor

Post by akrites »

You were the dude Maggie held up as an exemplar of how to dress?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

akrites wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:21 am You were the dude Maggie held up as an exemplar of how to dress?
wow...Maggie is stronger than she looks...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:42 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:02 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:15 pm
I would think it's pretty close to 6 feet from mid-podium 1 to mid-podium 3...how big are those things?
Hey, you can't be too safe these days. I still say let me play and keep other opponents in the green room. Just one game?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DisneyFor2000Alex wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:36 am As was just posted, my hotel just canceled my reservation for the April 13/14 tape dates. Debating whether I should make an alternate reservation now or just wait a bit - I simply can't imaging they are going to be back to taping by then. I think they are just optimistically waiting until it's closer to cancel. It's crazy to finally get the call and have it be thwarted by a global pandemic!
You pass the online quiz, get an invite to an audition, get The Call, make your reservations, and then they cancel everything.

I get it, but oh, man, that's gotta hurt. I also hope you'll keep your place in line and I have to assume they'll let you do that. Hope to see you up there, however belatedly.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Trump has extended social distancing guidelines through the end of April. I really don’t see them having any more games this season.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:03 pm Trump has extended social distancing guidelines through the end of April. I really don’t see them having any more games this season.
Especially considering that Jeopardy! is a national (well, international) game. The last I read, Boston's set to peak on April 14, and most of the US coasts will peak mid-to-late April....but the center of the US will peak a little later, perhaps in May. It would be irresponsible of the producers to continue with a game that literally creates not just a melting pot, but a blender that could unwittingly accelerate the spread of COVID-19.

The only thing that could change this is if, somehow, this ends in July or August, and TPTB decide to come back for 2 days to tape a 2-week coda for Alex's "goodbye episodes" to finish season 36 or start season 37, if he decides that he doesn't want to do a full season 37. Alex does not deserve to leave having his last episodes taped without an audience...I'd never speak for him, but I don't think that's how he'd want to leave.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Especially considering that Jeopardy! is a national (well, international) game. The last I read, Boston's set to peak on April 14, and most of the US coasts will peak mid-to-late April....but the center of the US will peak a little later, perhaps in May. It would be irresponsible of the producers to continue with a game that literally creates not just a melting pot, but a blender that could unwittingly accelerate the spread of COVID-19.

The only thing that could change this is if, somehow, this ends in July or August, and TPTB decide to come back for 2 days to tape a 2-week coda for Alex's "goodbye episodes" to finish season 36 or start season 37, if he decides that he doesn't want to do a full season 37. Alex does not deserve to leave having his last episodes taped without an audience...I'd never speak for him, but I don't think that's how he'd want to leave.
I can't imagine his doctor(s) would advise him that it would be ok for him to go back to the studio to tape more shows this season, even if it was a closed set.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

If the contestants were just LA area and Alex didn't leave his post, I'd say there's at least a chance of having more episodes.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:29 am
akrites wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:21 am You were the dude Maggie held up as an exemplar of how to dress?
wow...Maggie is stronger than she looks...
Haha yeah I was that dude
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'm reminded of the early days of syndicated Jeopardy when most of the contestants were from LA. In those days they were announced as being originally from so and so in order to disguise the huge number that lived in LA.

I'm also reminded of when David Letterman announced that in the event of nuclear Holocaust, the Match Game Hollywood Squares Hour would be cut back to half an hour.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:48 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:06 pm So what week was the most recent tape date supposed to air, if anyone knows?
The week of Memorial Day. Tomorrow and Wednesday's tapings are for June 1-5 and June 8-12, respectively. March 31 and April 1 are for June 15-19 and June 22-26. April 6 and 7 are for June 29-July 3 and July 6-10, and April 13 and 14 are for July 13-17 and July 20-24 (season finale week). So there are four weeks of taping left.
Please let me know if I am parsing the available information correctly. All tapings March 17 and later were cancelled, so new episodes will run through May 29, correct?
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:26 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:48 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:06 pm So what week was the most recent tape date supposed to air, if anyone knows?
The week of Memorial Day. Tomorrow and Wednesday's tapings are for June 1-5 and June 8-12, respectively. March 31 and April 1 are for June 15-19 and June 22-26. April 6 and 7 are for June 29-July 3 and July 6-10, and April 13 and 14 are for July 13-17 and July 20-24 (season finale week). So there are four weeks of taping left.
Please let me know if I am parsing the available information correctly. All tapings March 17 and later were cancelled, so new episodes will run through May 29, correct?
That is correct. I don't think that tapings will resume until Season 37.