New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

kablamfan11
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by kablamfan11 »

The 9/13/95 episode is now up on the Internet Archive:
https://archive.org/details/jeopardy_19950913
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I was hoping to have this game entered on it's 18-year airdate anniversary. Nearly 3 months later, here is January 1, 2002, Mark Lee vs. Amanda Brown vs. Tom Unsworth.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1137

Mark Lee's game 1, 2, 3, and 5 will be the final parts of my chunk of 2002, and I'd like to have them done over this long work weekend. We'll see how that goes. (Spoiler alert: Mark your calendars for August or something.)

I was surprised to not see Salvador Dali come up in the FAMOUS MOUSTACHES category in the J! round, until SURREALISTS came up in DJ!. Aha, now I see why. Jeopardy would use the spellings "moustache" and "mustache" interchangeably (just 3 months earlier featured a category called WHERE DID MY MUSTACHE GO?), right up until this category aired. Since then, it's been almost exclusively "mustache", if the Archive is to be believed.

True crime corner: JonBenét Ramsey now has 2 hits in the Archive. Interestingly, both are framed with a reference to Lawrence Schiller's 1999 book "Perfect Murder, Perfect Town".

We welcome French-Canadian explorer Sieur de Bienville to the J-Canon as a response. His name has a good half-dozen other hits in the archive, as a Pavlov for
Spoiler
New Orleans, Louisiana, which he founded.
Clue of the game will be IN THE NEWS 1924 for $2000. I've searched the Archive for this clue a number of times, and now it's finally entered. I would have sworn up and down that it was a Million Dollar Masters clue, but no, it aired about 4 months earlier.
This "Learned" judge, who produced over 2,000 influential opinions, joined the court of appeals in 1924
Spoiler
Who is Learned Hand?
Alex gave the "One minute" announcement here, which was followed by 4 triple stumpers. Amanda's incorrect guess on SURREALISTS for $2000 at clue 28 cost her the lead, and as it turns out, the game.

If Mark Barrett was able to get Monday's 1970s SITCOMS FJ! correct with just one word, I'm dead certain he can do the same here with CLASSIC TV CHARACTERS. In fact, I'd say I have a choice of a couple of different words, so I'll give him a choice. Here's the "hard" word:
Spoiler
private
and here's the easy one:
Spoiler
Marines
You have thirty seconds, good lu...oh, you're done writing already. Well then. I bet you spelled it right, too, unlike a certain other Mark I could mention.
Spoiler

Gomer "Pile"??? C'mon man.
One of the words in the FJ! clue was abbreviated when the clue was revealed, but then spelled during the camera pan of the players while they wrote their responses. I opted to leave it abbreviated.

3 to go for me for 2002, and the day is still young. I have to take my dog to the vet in a couple hours, but let's see what I can do in the meantime.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks, Myron. 3 to go for your part and 1 for me. The race is on. Yes, that first word you shared was enough to solve that FJ! clue. The last time I saw an episode of that show? March. 2020. :D
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Next thing we can hope for is uploading the media files for the corresponding answers for the episodes from November 24, 2008-May 15, 2009 because many of them when clicked, say they're 404'ed, especially the Clue Crew media files and the player profile pictures from that range of episodes.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:32 pm Alex gave the "One minute" announcement here, which was followed by 4 triple stumpers. Amanda's incorrect guess on SURREALISTS for $2000 at clue 28 cost her the lead, and as it turns out, the game.
And a very, very bad guess it was. I remember being stunned by it watching on rutube years ago.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Myron...The guy in your COTG was an LL question a couple years ago. That may be what you are thinking about.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:28 pm Myron...The guy in your COTG was an LL question a couple years ago. That may be what you are thinking about.
LearnedHandLeague.

https://www.learnedleague.com/question.php?68&5&4

That might have been the reason I was searching the Archive, but my memory of my memory is quite clear. Which is to say, it's probably as reliable as any 4-year-old memory can be.

Mark Lee's next game started with 5 Clue Crew clues in a row. Har-har, you win this time, game-to-be-archived. Even with the CC file, that's gonna slow me down.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:50 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:28 pm Myron...The guy in your COTG was an LL question a couple years ago. That may be what you are thinking about.
LearnedHandLeague.

https://www.learnedleague.com/question.php?68&5&4

That might have been the reason I was searching the Archive, but my memory of my memory is quite clear. Which is to say, it's probably as reliable as any 4-year-old memory can be.

Mark Lee's next game started with 5 Clue Crew clues in a row. Har-har, you win this time, game-to-be-archived. Even with the CC file, that's gonna slow me down.
The second clue is sooooo terrible. It's got Sofia and Alex both talking. How do I format that for the clue box?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Note to self: Don't go in and do correction suggestions while you still have the "Edit game" window open in another tab. Because one way or the other, you're gonna lose some work, dummy.

My thanks to whomever was hot on the ball with those typos in the current game, though.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

The 9/14/95 episode is now up on the Internet Archive:
https://archive.org/details/jeopardy_19950914
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I filled in 4/26/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1752

Of course it had to have an all video category and an all audio category. The only thing missing was the Clue Crew. 10W by the players was typical.

Ben had a stat line for a ToCer, but he ran into a certain Ronnie O'Rourke who had other ideas.

Okay, Myron, it looks like January 7, 2002 will be the Promontory Point of Season 18 archiving. See you there with the hammer and golden spike.

I've seen the various upload links shared here and will try to knock some out in April.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:36 pm I filled in 4/26/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1752
Uh. I think you switched the bottom three clues in "Long Live the British King or Queen" and "Down to Earth". :lol:
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:57 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:36 pm I filled in 4/26/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1752
Uh. I think you switched the bottom three clues in "Long Live the British King or Queen" and "Down to Earth". :lol:
All cleaned up. Thank you for the post here as I would not see a correction suggestion until later this morning.
cheftort
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by cheftort »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:17 pm
JayK33 wrote:There was a 47-year-old Pat Tortorello from New Jersey on this season of Hell's Kitchen, but was the first person eliminated. Is it the same person as the season 16 champion Pat Tortorello from New Jersey?

http://www.fox.com/hells-kitchen/bio/pat-tortorello

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=3285
Yep.

https://m.facebook.com/ChefPatTortHK16/ ... 65/?type=3
Wow, just found this. Thanks for even remembering me. Really cool !
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Better late than never here is the chat segment transcript from the 4/26/02 game that I meant to share last week since it had good ones.

First break for us right now.
A practice-support coordinator,
a single man.
You got a girlfriend?
I do.
She made me promise
not to mention her on-air,
but I will anyway.
Her name is amy.
How long have you
been seeing her?
I've been dating her
for about a year.
It's very serious.
I love her very much.
How serious?
Well, the most important
question I'll ask tonight
won't be for the game,
but it'll be to her.
It's "amy, will you marry me?"
She doesn't even have to phrase
it in the form of a question.
Whoa! Gutsy move!
Congratulations.
I'll bet you she says yes.
Thank you.
Christina kim, a production
and post-production coordinator.
It says here that if you could
be a superhero,
you would want to be
the arbiter of traffic justice.
Have a lot of problems
when you're driving, do you?
No, I've just been driving
for about 15 years here in L.A.
I'm sure you know
there's some pretty egregious
drivers out here.
[ Laughs ] Okay.
Ben sternberg,
he's our champion.
It says here that you
and your fellow students
used to yell things at your
high-school english teacher.
What did you yell
at this teacher?
He used to bring in samples
of writing
that cracked the class up.
He was hilarious.
He was brilliant.
We yelled at him,
"write a book."
And a couple years later,
"angela's ashes" came out.
Frank mccourt.
Yeah, he was
a fantastic teacher.
That's a great story.
And he's the best teacher
you ever had?
Terrific.
Pick up your signaling button.
You have command of the board
right now, so you select.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

January 2, 2002, Kevin Au vs. Christine Walker vs. Mark Lee.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1138

Quick thoughts:

ROLE IN COMMON is a fact I look up all the time, but I usually run through 2 or 3 other characters before hitting on the correct one.

We welcome the clarinet glissando from Rhapsody in Blue to the J-Archive, which did not appear at all until I entered MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS for $1600. (Well, the word "glissando" anyway.) It's a Thing Worth Knowing, so add it to your flashcards. Use a 3-part cloze deletion, 4-parts if you want to throw George Gershwin in there.

INVENTORS for $1200 had me wondering what parts of the patent title to capitalize. I opted for standard title capitalization, with Patent also cap'd, since it included the number after it.

Clue of the game will be NOT A POPE FOR $600:
Clement X,
Malcolm X,
Pius X
Spoiler
Who is Malcolm X? Which is obvious when you strip away the other 2 names. It tricked the players, though, who did not ring it. Alex was careful to say "Malcolm the Tenth" when he read the clue. This guy approves:

Kevin Au did not get the clue about the gold rush, which disappointed me a little.

Final Jeopardy was a triple-stumper, which I know now, but think I might have missed when the game originally aired. I'll check my old notebooks, but later, maybe.

Have a good afternoon.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

culxnthusst03 has posted the September 18, 1995 (Len Krisak game 5) episode on archive.org:

http://archive.org/details/@culxnthusst03
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:35 pm Final Jeopardy was a triple-stumper, which I know now, but think I might have missed when the game originally aired. I'll check my old notebooks, but later, maybe.
Fun fact: this was the first time I remember getting a Final Jeopardy! right that none of the contestants did. 14-year-old me was floored by how off base the guesses were.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

The J-Archive is almost at 390,000 clues.
Last edited by kablamfan11 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^9/19/95 was archived a long time ago:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4495