Thursday, April 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC AMERICAN NOVELS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Lady Duff Twysden was the basis for a character in this 1926 novel set partly in Spain

Hemant Mehta: 9400-5801=3599
Tiffany Eisenhauer: 6000-5999=1
Felicity Flesher: 7600+7600=15200 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Sun Also Rises (Hemant – The Great Gatsby) (Tiffany – A Farewell to Arms)

Daily Doubles
Hemant: 1800-1000
Felicity: 5600+2000
DD3 not found

Coryats
Hemant: 10400
Tiffany: 6000
Felicity: 7200

Combined: 23,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Hemant: 2600
Tiffany: 4000
Felicity: 800
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Felicity has an IMDb page: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4674023/

By the time the players got to the clue wanting the president & wife in the Mining Hall of Fame they had played enough clues for my reaction to be, "As if" for their chances of getting it right.

For those that did not like the way Alex said Jason Aldean when reading a clue last week you get a chance to hear two pronunciations this week.

DD3 was once again not uncovered. If Hemant found it would have have bet the 5800+ he needed for a lock? Probably not.

Felicity keeps the champ carousel spinning with the sole solve as the #1 spot has not repeated since March 20 although it should have on the 23rd.

A miss for me on the FJ! clue as I did Spain to Hemingway for the first part. That's nice, now what? My three-sided instrument of chance had Tiffany's incorrect guess which I wrote, Felicity's correct response and For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Years of publication? Wide-ranging author and no real clue. Information other than title? Ambulance driver, Spanish Civil War, Jake Barnes...

Lady Duff Twysden was no help and at least I did not go off the board to a D.H. Lawrence work. Those of you who recognized the Lady's name to be certain of your correct response then you need to get on the show.

My precalls were Huckleberry Finn, The Great Gatsby, and The Catcher in the Rye.

Even if I had recalled this FJ! clue:
#1607, aired 1991-09-03 NOVELS: Hemingway novel that begins, "Robert Cohn was once middleweight boxing champion of Princeton"

it was not going to help. There is no chance I would recall the comment from a KJ game that had this FJ! clue:

Ford Madox Ford, in the ‘20s, hadn’t “read more than six words” by this man before vowing to “publish everything he sent me”

(Alex: [Revealing John's response] Wound up publishing The Sun Also Rises in 1926, I believe.)
Elaine Who is F. Scott Fitzgerald
$5,500
John Who is Ernest Hemmingway?
$4,401
Ken Who is Hemingway?
$6,400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

For Whom the Bell Tolls for me. Right author, right country, wrong book.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I read that book in college. I don’t remember much about it but something rang a bell for me and I got it right.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

I assume "deification" is what they were going for in 11-Letter Words for $800?
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Plactus wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:04 pm I assume "deification" is what they were going for in 11-Letter Words for $800?
Hope so, because that was my answer ;)

Instaget FJ, but I have no idea why. I don't think I've ever read the book, I know I haven't seen the movie, but I had it the second I saw Twysden's name. No idea where I would've come across such a random bit of trivia.

My kingdom for a 4+ day champ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Poll request on Maren Morris.

Yes, I ran the ACM category. Followed that up by going 4/5 in Kids Books and Skirt, and 4/4 in 11-Letter Words. Only missed four clues on the entire J! round.

Kids books for $1,000 was a bad misfire on the writers' part. I also said "snow day" because "nieve" is snow, and was dumbstruck when it was ruled wrong. "Snowy day" would be Día nevado in Spanish. Should this be tagged as erratum?

American Legion joins the "only half know it" pile. I knew that there is SOMEthing called the American Legion but had clue zero as to what it was.

Dyscalculic Hammer somehow managed to solve for X this time.

Questions & Answers for $1,600 felt like a dreaded game of "Guess the Synonym". I matched neither the contestants nor the writers with "vow". Anyone else misfire on that one?

No guess on FJ! Not even the nudge with "A Farewell to Arms" got me any closer to the answer. "The Sun Also Rises" is another half-know in that I could match it to Hemingway but tell you literally nothing else about it whatsoever.

Lach Trash: Philadelphia, Maren Morris, Starship Troopers
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $30,400 (39R, 2W)
DD 1/2
FJ :mrgreen:

Video clues be like, "This man won Best Director for this film (proceeds to show all 3 1/2 hours of Titanic)"

If anyone thinks these clues that drag on and on and on and on contribute value to the show, I'd be curious to hear about it...

That said, if I'm ever on the show and find myself faced with one of those categories in the J! round, I just might play slowly with the hope of filibustering any movie/entertainment category that might come up in DJ!...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I flipped the coin for FJ! and got it right - I didn't even think of A Farewell To Arms, but did think of For Whom the Bell Tolls. Chronology and geography would have helped retrospectively - The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms are in the 20s, while For Whom the Bell Tolls and A Farewell to Arms are both set in Spain. Not that I really had that much info at my fingertips...I thought I'd read The Sun Also Rises in school, but it was For Whom The Bell Tolls.

Gatsby's not the best guess - "Spain" + American author + early 20th century is practically screaming for Papa.

The first DD almost seemed like a FJ! caliber clue to me. Miniskirt? I mean, I guess if you know cars, and you don't think a Bently skirt exists, it's obvious, but I'd always assumed miniskirts were called that because they were...miniature.

Another show probably edited due to COVID-19, with the ACM category. The awards were scheduled for Sunday, but have been moved to September. I got Maren Morris, but only because her ad appeared relentlessly last year when she was on tour. I finally put the face to the name when I noticed she was credited on Zedd's "The Middle".
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:49 pm
Questions & Answers for $1,600 felt like a dreaded game of "Guess the Synonym". I matched neither the contestants nor the writers with "vow". Anyone else misfire on that one?
I have heard the oath given as "swear or attest" and that's what I said. Can hardly believe that would have been negged. Judges?

The mini-skirt was named after the FREAKING CAR!!??!! and not after it's length (or lack of same)??? Oh come now. Tell me the car was just coincidentally Quant's favorite and I would buy that.

LT for Philadelphia (after the contestants guessed every city this side of El Paso), Herbert Hoover, silver dollars, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Abyssinia.

Then absolutely no clue on FJ. Thought about Hemingway and thought 1926 was too early by a decade. OK, wrong. Like the champ I wagged Gatsby.

And this was a trip in the Way-back machine for me: Tiffany first auditioned in Boston in 2002, making her an old veteran J! wannabe. I also went to the audition in Boston in 2002 (and passed the quiz), so if the CCs are looking for veterans, you still have my number. Of course by 2002 I had already been in the contestant pool a few times, so I'm guessing they know how to find me......said the Maytag Repair Man....
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:roll: :) :?: on DDs. Once again the third DD is not found. Seriously, named for the Mini Cooper? :shock:
Stumbled into the correct FJ! response after swatting away The Great Gatsby. :mrgreen:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

DBear wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:37 pm :roll: :) :?: on DDs. Once again the third DD is not found. Seriously, named for the Mini Cooper? :shock:
Stumbled into the correct FJ! response after swatting away The Great Gatsby. :mrgreen:
I had the same thought about DD1. I had no idea so I guessed Mustang skirt, because.... 1960s car. I searched the archive and it turns out, Quant was the TOM. Quant/miniskirt has come up a bunch of times in the past. Flashcard made.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

My Dad worked in the NYC/NYS courts don’t I knew “affirm.” FJ was an instaget! Lucky for me that I knew The Sun Also Rises was an early work. Good game!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:28 pm Another show probably edited due to COVID-19, with the ACM category. The awards were scheduled for Sunday, but have been moved to September. I got Maren Morris, but only because her ad appeared relentlessly last year when she was on tour. I finally put the face to the name when I noticed she was credited on Zedd's "The Middle".
Her music is good but her voice is very generic. Combined with all the processing it got on "The Middle", I must've heard it a good 100 times before I even realized it was her.
davey

Post by davey »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:43 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:37 pm :roll: :) :?: on DDs. Once again the third DD is not found. Seriously, named for the Mini Cooper? :shock:
I had the same thought about DD1. I had no idea so I guessed Mustang skirt, because.... 1960s car. I searched the archive and it turns out, Quant was the TOM. Quant/miniskirt has come up a bunch of times in the past. Flashcard made.
Yes, Quant-miniskirt is standard trivia. I don't think I've heard the rest of it before...
John Boy wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:28 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:49 pm
I have heard the oath given as "swear or attest" and that's what I said. Can hardly believe that would have been negged. Judges?
The clue was tied to North Dakota law, so unless you can point to a ND statute using "attest," it's a no.

For some reason, I blank on the particular Hemingway title in the FJ. I believe I did it the last time it came up on J!, even though I've actually read the book within the last five years... :roll: I didn't much care for it, maybe that's why...I prefer Hemingway's short stories...
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:49 pm Kids books for $1,000 was a bad misfire on the writers' part. I also said "snow day" because "nieve" is snow, and was dumbstruck when it was ruled wrong. "Snowy day" would be Día nevado in Spanish. Should this be tagged as erratum?
Image Image
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Chalk up another for "The Snow Day" (except I genuinely thought it was called "The Snow Day" and even conjured up a false memory of the cover).

Vaguely remembered the setting for FJ and threw it out there.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH